Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

slow/park flyer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:10 AM
onehotz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow/park flyer question

hI ALL,

I was wondering are the slow fler/park flyer planes that are advertised for flying "on your street" or "in your back yard" really suitable for those places??

I am interested in a slow/park flyer to ness around with in my back yard and at a local baseball diamond, but I was wondering if this was truly ok to do or not.

I am not looking for anything fancy (unless the hobby gets its hooks in me), just something to play around with at home if possible.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:08 PM
BykrDan

Default RE: slow/park flyer question

Hi -

I have finally managed to get my RareBear slow enough that I can circle around up and down the street, but I have to say, it took me two years of practice in much larger areas, and with more stable aircraft to get to that point. It's really tempting to try it right off the bat, but first flights should be made at an empty park, at least. And despite its convenient location, the street in front of my house really isn't that much fun to fly in - I'd rather spend a couple minutes driving to the schoolyard or the park anyway, but then, it may be because my street is kind of closed-in by houses and trees.

Happy flying -
Dan.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:39 AM
RickAvery

I have found that the smaller the area, the higher the skill level it takes to keep from stacking it up. I started with a sky scooter which is touted as a 'park flier'. It should say BIG park flier. As previously suggested, Go to an empty field or park to learn how to control the plane. What seems like a large field quickly becomes very small when starting the learning curve to flying. You will not make your neighbor very happy when you stuff your park flier into his BMW. LOL!!
Rick
Old 04-15-2004, 11:05 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

I have no idea how big your back yard is, but if you have a baseball diamond nearby that should be ample space to get you going with a number of planes.

The first that comes to mind is the Slow Stick because it can go slow enough and remain responsive enough to keep a beginner from getting out of the flight envelope. From there you can look into other options as your skill increases.

A baseball diamond is room enough for a slow flyer. It's not room enough for a beginner with something like an Aerobird Challenger. It goes too fast and needs too much room to turn for a beginner.

Slow Stick is a solid choice for a lot of reasons, space among them. If you think you'd like to build a good slow flyer in balsa and covering, look at Mountain Models' Dusk Stik.

Hope this helps!

BobbyG
Old 04-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Delphi36

Hello! I have the Flying Styro Kits " Chubby Lady" which is suppose to be a plane for in front of your house or the ball diamond. after flying it at the diamond I do not think it is a very good idea to fly it any place smaller!

Have fun!

Mike
Old 04-23-2004, 12:53 AM
czechyour6

I tried to fly on my block and made a landing into a pinetree, The park was so much better and I have two of them a block away
Old 04-23-2004, 07:24 AM
mnewman

I would agree with the replies I've read so far with one exception. It really depends on how skilled your are as a pilot and the type of plane you plan to fly in a confined space. When I started out with slow/park flyers I found they were not all that slow or easy to handle and, although, they are a great deal slower than the larger more powerful models it still took a lot to control them. Since then I've experimented with my own designs and came up with a few that really are that small and really are slow enough to fly in a backyard. The trade-off is they are so small and slow any breeze is too much breeze. I fly in a field lined with trees with open space about the size of three baseball fields and its still confining.