Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

OK wing fliers, I need some advice.

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

OK wing fliers, I need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 12:46 PM
RickAvery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK wing fliers, I need some advice.

I'm currently flying a sky scooter and after the initial learning curve and tearing up one plane pretty good, I'm finally gitting the hang of it. Haven't crashed in a few months, doing rolls, loops & some inverted flight. Wings look soooooo coooooool, and I'd like to try one. The scooter is an aileron plane which I understand from others on this forum is a good trainer for going to a wing. I plan on using my current 3 chnl. Tx which has mixing. What would you all suggest as a first wing, zagi, viper, or ??? Are the combat wings to touchy for a wing novice? Any other hints would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Ric
Old 04-21-2004, 04:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OK wing fliers, I need some advise.

Almost exactly one year ago, I graduated from the Sky Scooter to my second plane, a Unicorn. The plane has proven to be phenomenal (sp?). It is incredibly durable allowing me to smash it into things and pick it up and fly again. It's not difficult to fly & judging from how you say you are flying, you'd do fine. It can fly much faster than the Scooter or you can slow it way down & actually fly slower than the Scooter is capable of.

To boot, I'm still using the TX and the RX that I cannabalized from my Scooter in it. I did put in HS-81MG servos however.

You will ablsolutely not be disappointed with it.

Brad
Old 04-22-2004, 01:23 AM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

I'd say go with the zagi XS or the 400x. The 400x is a bit more stable for someone like you, who is a novice to wings. Or just go to XS, hey you never know you might just be able to fly it just fine. The XS is faster and more agile, and tends to tip stalls if not flown correctly. For the pilots that graduated from a 400x, they should have no problem(At least I didn't). Go with zagi it won't let you down, and its just as indistructable as the Unicorn. I've never seen a Unicorn in actual flight yet, but from what it seems. The zagi and Unicorn are closely linked. Hope this helps you make a decission.

-Steven
Old 04-22-2004, 06:56 AM
woodduck-RCU

Try the EdgeRC Overlord, they are well manufactured and fly great! The Unicorn is also an excellent choice but the battery
is loaded on the bottom of the wing and needs some kind of cover with velcro latches. The Overlord battery mounts in a pocket on top of the wing and can be held in place with just a small strap of tape. I also do not like the plastic motor mounting tube on the Unicorn it can be reinforced with fibreglass or kevlar but I prefer the aluminum motor mount on the Overlord ( the aluminum tube can be purchased seperately ) An excellent place to purchase the overlord is ALLERC
http://www.allerc.com/ and the price is much lower than the Unicorn, several of my club memembers started with Unicorns but migrated to the Overlord, also look at their Bird of Prey it is an excellent flyer.

The wing type planes are a great 2nd plane after you Sky Scooter.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:42 AM
RickAvery

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. This is exactly the info I'm looking for. I've never seen the unicorn advertised. Who makes it? I did find a picture of one on this site. I can see from this and other forums that the zagi is popular and enjoys a good reputation. Have never heard of the overlord. I'll check that one out. I need to find out what these kits consist of and require to get into the air and how extensive the assembly process is. Any others would greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!
Rick
Old 04-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Downtrodden

I'm a relatively newbie to flying R/C and I had no problems flying the Zagi XS after flying a Firebird Commander. The plane is easy to build and real pleasure to fly. Happy Hunting!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: RickAvery

I've never seen the unicorn advertised. Who makes it? I did find a picture of one on this site.
Rick,
You can find it here http://unicornwings.site.yahoo.net/

I also fly a 400X, a Wing Warrior E-Zipper Mk II and a Pocket Combat Wing. I like them all & they're all fun to fly. I don't believe that there are any "bad" wings. However I prefer the Unicorn. There's a huge thread over on "the other" RC board. It might be useful to go and read some about it.

Good luck
Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another type of wings are the planes from SuperFlyRc.

Myself, I have the SuperFly-E Pusher, SuperFly-Twin, SuperFlea-Twin and SuperFlea-EDF. Gee ya think I like them?

While they are not as fast as the Zagi types, they are a blast to fly. And just about indestructable!

Check them out. http://www.superflyrc.com

Later!
Old 04-26-2004, 08:35 AM
RickAvery

Thanks again to all for the input. All good food for thought. 777, you mention a thread in another forum. As I'm a bit new and just came across this site by surfing, could you elaborate on the 'other' site? I'm having fun researching all the possibilities. Thanks again!!
Rick
Old 04-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Jeep-mini-t-man

hey, you may want to try a combatwings XE2. they fly great and are aquick build. one thing i really like is that it doesnt have a canopy(that can break) it has an internal battery slot and a exelent airfoil for inerted flight etc. i have see a zagi xs fly before and it was good but not great

just my 2 cents.check out the videos as well on the www.combatwings.com website.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:50 PM

Rick,
I hope that mentioning "the other" site doesn't get me barred from this one, but it' R C G R O U P S . C O M

Just remove the spaces. (Sorry mods......they're both good boards!) They're on their third installemnt of a HUGE thread over there on Unicorns. 10,000 people can't be wrong? Well, I don't know if it's 10,000 people, but it's a lot!

Brad
Old 05-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Hawkhumper

I learned to fly on a combat wing XE. They are tough planes. The only thing that killed mine was a car ran over it, but it was still repairable. Other crashes that did not kill it: pancake flops from low altitude loops, nose dives that didn't pull up soon enough, football goal post, swing set, countless trees. My friend has a nice viper twin, but like the Zagi the biggest complaint would be the constant repair and replacement required for the plastic canopy. The battery tends to fly around on rough landings (which happen a lot when you're learning). The problem was reduced with clear packing tape applied to the inside for added strength.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:57 PM
RickAvery

Thanks again for all of your input. Here's a few things that I've learned from your comments and from reading around. Most think that the wing they have is the best. What this tells me is that there are probably many good flying wings. A good thing as it lessens the chance of building a toad. Most seem to be pretty rugged, EPP. The plastic canopy problem is widely talked about and most likely more of a problem for beginners like me. I'm anticipating the learning curve for learning to fly a wing to not be as long as it took to learn to fly my sky scooter. I learned by myself with only the instructions in the box. So crashing the thing is a given, but hopefully some of the early beginner mistakes I can now avoid i.e. over-controlling the stick, trying to fly to low while learning, not chopping the throttle when a crash is inevitable, reversing the stick, (in your head), when its flying at you, ect.. I think I've narrowed it down to 5, zaggi XS, the overlord, the unicorn, the XE2, or the e-slayer. Decisions decisions. Thanks again all.
Rick
Old 05-07-2004, 07:38 PM

You're right in that there probably aren't any toads out there. The ones that you've narrowed it down to are all good choices. If I might suggest........poke around and see which are most popular. There's probably something to be said for that.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:06 PM
lmopar69

I dont know anything about wings really, except I just put together a Great Planes Slinger. I have never flown air planes before and I was able to keep it in the air for about 30 sec. or so until I hit a power line! No real damage, just glue the winglets back on and try again. So, my $50 would recomend the Slinger. Fast, easy to build, and it can hit power lines at full speed with out unrepairable damage.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:22 PM
RickAvery

Imopar69,
Thanks for bringing the slinger to my attention. I haven't checked it out, but I'm on it.
Rick
Old 05-10-2004, 04:56 AM
Gazza2001

Default RE: OK wing fliers, I need some advice.

ive ordered a mini speed wing from speedwing.net ive read great reviews at rcgroups about this wing and its a good looker to! this will be my second plane moving up from a GWS cub to this rocket should be exciting
Old 05-10-2004, 08:54 AM
RickAvery

Gazza,
Good luck with the mini speed wing. Let us all know how the learning curve goes. I think I'm going to go for a larger, i.e. slower wing to start off with. Some of the wings I've checked out will give you the large wing to start out with, along with patterns to cut it down and increase the speed as your skill level increases. I might go that route. Good luck!
Rick
Old 05-21-2004, 02:33 PM
sargentw

Rick,

I have a brushless XE2 and a brushless Unicorn. Both these wings are fantastc. Here is one I just finished that will give em a run for their money.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...21#post2189321

Thanks,

Tad
Old 05-21-2004, 09:10 PM
MTEXX

My history is:
zagi 400X
zagi with speed 480,
WingWarrior Raider,
Unicorn.

The Unicorn is equipped with 10 cells and a brushless motor. In all honesty, it can't handle the airpseed of a fully charged batt : )

PS- DO NOT use a single conv RX.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Unicorn_Wings_48%22_Brushless_Photodocumentary/m_1523285/tm.htm]RCU Unicorn construction photodocumentary[/link]
Old 05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Venturer

atlantahobby.com has lots of wings at great prices.
Great customer service too
I got a Windrider ele bee.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:59 PM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

i have built one production wing and the geers started turning. i see those foam free flight gliders at department stores toy sections as highly useable parts.let your imagination do the work.most importantly determin the center of gravity for the wings before you do any modifying and mark it for your reference . this is a cheap way to go when you have a pile of spare parts from upgrades or demo`d flying.most of all have fun
Old 06-04-2004, 08:27 AM
RickAvery

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I chose the E-Slayer complete kit and I'm currently trying to put it together. It's going a bit slow as I'm an absolute rookie at building, taping etc... There are a few good sites which outline procedures and helpful hints on build-up. I'm real apprehensive about cutting bays in the wings and how I'll get the CG right. The directions that came with the wing are a bit vague and are not taylored to the begineer. The folks at wing warrior have been good about returning calls and giving advice. Wish me luck!! Thanks again for your time in responding.
Ric
Old 06-05-2004, 09:25 PM

Congrats, Rick.

Now the onus is on you to keep us informed of this developing build up to & through the maiden. It's the least taht you could do!

I have an E-Zipper too, so I'd like to hear about the other Wing Warrior products.

Again, congrats
Brad
Old 06-07-2004, 08:51 AM
RickAvery

Wing Fliers,
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll post some pics of the build up I have so far.
Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.