Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Cheap zagi clone?

Old 09-04-2004, 09:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cheap zagi clone?

You thought that the videos on the Unicorn site made it look underpowered?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:07 AM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

The videos on the unicorn site are just in heavy wind. The Unicorn goes the same speed as the zagi would with a speed 400 motor. The Unicorn reminds me of the Zagi 400X, a floater.... It was so much fun.... Maybe I should take my old 400X out of its barewhite foam stage and build it up again... hmm... needs more spars...
Old 09-05-2004, 02:30 AM
Freakazoid

The video's on the unicorn site made it look expenciveass brushless... Anyway.. Cliff from atlanta hobbys told me he sells over 10.000 wings a year, and he said the windrider Ele-Bee would be definatly the best choice. What do you guys think of that wing?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Freakazoid

The video's on the unicorn site made it look expenciveass brushless... Anyway.. Cliff from atlanta hobbys told me he sells over 10.000 wings a year, and he said the windrider Ele-Bee would be definatly the best choice. What do you guys think of that wing?
Most of the videos on the Unicorn site specifically say that they're done with the speed 400! Only one or two mention brushless.

As for the Ele-Bee, it looks like it would good, however it has some of the same characteristics that I don't like about my Zagi 400X. It has a plastic canopy. Because of that, it would seem reasonable that it would have greater aerodynamic drag. Plus it's more expensive than some others, specifically the Unicorn, so it blows one of your criteria............expense.

Brad
Old 09-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Freakazoid

Sofar the unicorn is the most expencive of them all..

No offence intended, but wiches advice would you rather go for?
Someone who sells approx 10.000 wings a year (atleast thats what cliff said) and has flown all brands he sells himself, or someone who has had one or two and has read the rest off the web.

I was adviced by Cliff, the owner of Atlanta hobby. His shop offers the unicorn aswell as the zagi amongst a heap of other wings, yet he adviced me to go with ele-bee. Besides, With the ele-bee you get all the required rolls of tape you need. So basicly the ele-bee quite cheap, considdering theres about 15 bucks worth of tape included, where others only have 1 roll of coveringtape. Plus the cores arnt hotwire cut, but injected EPP, wich he said is much tougher and a little stiffer. Cliff told me the ele-bee can take a fair beating, can fly both slow and fast, and it does not have the problem of flapping.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:02 PM

Dude.........check the Ele-Bee's price............ $144.98 http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=768

Now the Unicorn.........$124.95.......... http://unicornwings.site.yahoo.net/ordering.html You can buy a lot of tape for $20 bucks.

No offense taken, but would I trust a salesman (no offense, Cliff) or the enthusiastic responses of hundreds of Unicorn owners? Especially over on that "other" RC board.

Whatever you do, I hope that you are happy with your decision.

Brad

P.S. - I haven't owned "just one or two wings" but I own four! [:'(]
Old 09-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Freakazoid

If were going to drag other sites into this, have a look at this site I guess.. http://www.windrider.com.hk/products/product.cfm?id=7
110 bucks for a complete one, just like the unicorn..
But price isnt much of an issue. Aslong as it doesnt go past 180 bucks for a complete wing minus radiogear, im still good.

And If Cliff (salesman) really wanted to rip me off, he could have just adviced me to get a unicorn anyway, since its the most expencive one on his shop. If he rips his customers off like that, he woulnd have had such a good reputation I guess.. This guy has flown all the wings in his shop, and he doesnt tell me to go for an ele-bee, just for the heck of it?

Also, The atlanta hobby ele-bee kit has a far supreme batterypack included.... Unic has 1300mAh with it, while the bee kit hooks you up with 2100mAh.

But no worry's. Ive read these bee wings are great allrounders.
When I want more power, Ill keep this wing running as a combat fighter till the bitter end (jam some more spars in it and stuff), and buy me a zagi for its far supreme stiffnes and speed capability anyway.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:57 AM
RickAvery

Freak,
I'm sure that the ele-bee is a fine wing. But, The unicorn doesn't have a HUGE following for no reason. Don't base your descision on a video of some hot-shot doing stunts and such. (combat wings), I'm quite sure that the unicorn will do them also. As for needing to modify your wing to get it to perform, almost any of the OEM e-planes and wings that fly good out of the box, can be made to fly better with some modifications. Having a big resource of information about your plane or wing is invaluable. The other RC site has a big thread with all kinds of info. This is info from the people who fly these wings and they know what they are talking about and can be a big help. Good Luck!!
Rick
Old 09-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Freakazoid

Well, Cliff has flown tons of wings and even sells huge quantity's of it, so he knows whats what better then anyone, I guess.
He told me the ele-bee wont flap, even at brushless speeds, because of the injected EPP (instead of hotwire cut), so thats another problem solved.

Im perty sure this wing will hold together till I need something more agile and faster (griphon brushless mini wing or something), so Ill be fine with this ele-bee.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:50 AM
RickAvery

Freak,
I've also delt with Atl. Hobbies and they have given good service. I'm also sure that Cliff is giving good advice. Since I haven't seen the difference between moulded and wire cut EPP, I can't comment. Mine is wire cut, and without additional spars installed, it flaps. I'm in the process of rebuilding, reinforcing, and retaping my wing. I'm sure that the ele-bee will be a good flyer for you!! Let us all know how it goes. Good Luck!!
Rick
Old 09-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Freakazoid

Cliff insisted on including an extra spar for me. So apparently he knows the plroblem.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Ritewing

If you want to go brushless build it to go brushless speeds.The slayers I build go up to 120mph.
Add one carbon rod under each side of the wings Appx 2 inches back from the leading edges and extend to wing tip.
Wha la! U have the ultimate wing. It is called The zagi spanker.
Here is apic of a 5 spar 60 in raider,a 3 spar slayer and a 3spar zipper Ther is no packing or strapping tape used.The all do 100+ mph W no hint of flap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89352.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	172178  
Old 09-25-2004, 07:26 PM
RCWorks

Ever fly one Freak?
I thought not...

Let me see your fine cuttings.
Speak of what you know not what you guess.

I will send you all of my returns...
Old 09-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Freakazoid

...what the hell you talking about?