Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Art-Tech 3Ch Cessna 182 RC Radio Control Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Art-Tech 3Ch Cessna 182 RC Radio Control Plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:38 AM
Schteeva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Art-Tech 3Ch Cessna 182 RC Radio Control Plane

Thanks for the reply DrDoom. Piano wire? That's a surprise! The trailing link looks really good. Thanks for the previous pics. For the main gear I glued two small balsa pieces on the top and bottom of the wire between the fairings and the fuselage. After trimming and sanding the balsa, the result was a thin little airfoil that looked a little more realistic. I don't like the stick-leg look on a plane than is moderately manufactured to scale. The gear looks much better now, and all that is missing is the steerable nosewheel! I will try to send some pics on what I have done so far, and the nosewheel if it turns out half as good as yours ([:@] - this is not the look of anger, but sheer determination!)

-Schteeva

Abbotsford, British Columbia

Old 03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I used foam to make the main strut covers and wraped them with Monokote trim sheet. so they remail flexable.
The trailing link is brass, soldered to the wite on the nose gear.
I also added ailerons.
Dennis
Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 PM
marriner294

hey,
after many crashes ive finally managed to get my plane up. It is pretty quick and realy not so hard to fly!!!!!
going to try some loops next time!

Marriner294
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 AM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

WOW all the problems with the cesna 182 put a stop on me getting one i have been waiting for ever and did read all the info from all the flyers here and other places and iam going to wait tell one comes out that has better reviews sure thank all here for such good info.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 AM
PRGU

Just started putting together the Art-Tech c-182. There was a long white wire taped to the bottom of the fuselage, but both ends are not attached to anything. Is this an antenna? And if so, where does it attach?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 PM
coolboarder

Howdy!
That is the antenna and you can take either end of it and re-connect it inside the receiver.
If you open up the back you should see an area you should solder it to (I am guessing).

If you have the time, however you would be better off sending it back-just in case.

blue skies!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:47 PM
coolboarder

Whats up!
this is the $487.00 dollar version, but flies very well (two flights today and the landings are fun with some speed and pavement). If the picture does not show up I will try again-nothing fancy just testors paint and pin stripping + decals
"Sky Dive" on the bottom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94741.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	244539  
Old 03-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Nickerz
My Feedback: (1)

Wow...countless posts on what a great looking plane this Art-Tech c-182 is yet even more posts on crashing it.

So does this great looking plane fly? I'm hooked on the looks as everyone else is but I'm not sure if it's more newbie error than it being a bad flyer overall. I saw that parkflyers website has every spare part for this plane and they even have a Li-po pack for it. I do know that Li-po batteries improve any planes performance, so maybe that's what this plane really needs...more power.

At any rate, there is another Cessna 182 plane that looks good as well and can be had for $80.00 at Tower Hobbies and it doesn't have the junk electrics that is included with the Art-Tech model.

Link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGWY7&P=ML

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this plane?

Hope to hear more updates and where are all of those pics that everyone was promising in earlier posts?

Nick
Old 04-08-2005, 05:27 PM
RCWORLDINTERNATIONAL

HELLO WE ARE RC WORLD INTERNATIONAL
we are the sellers of the foam cessna 182, we have been testing planes for 15 years now. this plane is by far the best looking and best flying. i have both the 3 channel and 4 channel version in stock. you can purchase one at

www.rcworld.us
or visit my ebay store at
http://stores.ebay.com/RC-WORLD-INTE...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

we also carry parts and extras like batteries

Old 04-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Schteeva

Hey everyone! I just figured I would throw some pictures of my plane for you to see. Just click on "pictures" at: [email protected]
I hope it will work easy for ya. And maybe this will help out my fellow Canadians - There is now a canadian distributor for these awesome planes. Ask your local hobby shop for details. Lucky for clutsy people like myself, parts are available for everything[X(][:@].
I wish you all calm winds and happy landings! Let's see some more paintjobs if you've been creative!
Old 04-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Nickerz

I can't see the pics. When I click on the link below my email opens up and pasting into my web browser didn't work either. Anyone else able to view his pics?

Nick

ORIGINAL: Schteeva

Hey everyone! I just figured I would throw some pictures of my plane for you to see. Just click on "pictures" at: [email protected]
I hope it will work easy for ya. And maybe this will help out my fellow Canadians - There is now a canadian distributor for these awesome planes. Ask your local hobby shop for details. Lucky for clutsy people like myself, parts are available for everything[X(][:@].
I wish you all calm winds and happy landings! Let's see some more paintjobs if you've been creative!
Old 04-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Schteeva

Sorry about that everyone, my mistake. You should be able to view this at: groups.msn.com/schteevasstuff I was thinking of starting something here simply for the sake of ease in uploading photos. I really don't want to take anything away from this link, but I just found it a little easier. "Schteeva's stuff" is open to all to post pictures and thoughts.

-Steve
Old 04-21-2005, 07:29 PM
jmir

I noticed you installed a carbon rod down the vertical stab to stabilize the tail which is quite flimsy and this seems to have helped.
I'm new to the hobby and bought, flew and destroyed my Cessna 182. I hot some replacement parts and are in the process of rebuilding it.
I would like to know to to make this modification to correct the flimsy tail problem (don't know what a carbon rod is or how to install it "down the vertical stab".......
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jorge

Old 04-29-2005, 07:57 PM
jmir

I'm a Newbie. I purchased a Cessna 182, put it together, and had a hard crash the first time I tried to fly it. The main wing broke into three pieces, the fuselage cracked, the propeller shaft was bent and the motor quit working. How's that for a first day?!?! Being a foamie, it is rather easy to repair, so I proceeded to do so. Purchased a new motor and propeller and tried it again. First few flights were so so and a gust of wind brought it down to another rough, hard landing.
I purchased a new fuselage and main wing. This time, I used clear packing tape and covered the main wing and fuselage. I took my time to do it well and then applied the decals to the wing and fuselage on top of the clear tape. Looks very shiny and great! Then took my time to make sure everything was properly aligned and operating properly, picked a day with absolutely no wind at all. The plane flew beautifully, very easy to control and looked just great. Had several rough landings and some crashes with absolutely no damage to the plane other than broken propellers (the clear tape made the plane very strong).
I've now had over 40 flights with it and have really learned how to control it properly. I can now fly it under windier conditions. Taking off the ground is no problem at all and most landings are just about perfect. Have not had any more crashes and no more damaged parts. This is a great plane if you take the time to set it up properly and learn how to fly it under no-wind conditions.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:05 PM
jmir

I meant to say over 10 good flights, not 40.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:45 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

I have a similar story... but with a good ending. I've been flying for about 6 months now and consider myself to be an intermediate RC pilot. I started out with a twin motor foamie called the Wattage Lightning (Which was absolute crap!!) I then moved on to a Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw, then an Hobbyzone Aerobird Challenger and eventually the Parkzone Super Decathlon, all of which I still fly regularly and now the latest edition to the fleet is the three Channel Art-Tech Cessna 182.

I glued on the tail and stuck on the decals without incident and about four hours later I went to bed. The next morning I took it out for the maiden flight which was not successful!! I guess I was just over confident and got mixed up with the different stick configuration. It ROG'd perfectly from a cricket pitch and I couldn't stop it from banking right and eventually the wing tip caught the grass and cartwheeled to a stop. Creased tail feathers as you would expect.

Not one to be defeated, I bent everything back into approximate alignment and tried again. Once again it ROG'd perfectly and once again I got totally screwed up with the different configuration of the sticks with it nosediving from 150 feet up into the ground bending the prop-shaft, smashing the cowl, breaking the fuse in several places and snapping he wing in two.

I was careful to collect all of the broken pieces and I carried it back to the car with my tail between my legs.

I pulled it all apart and began the rebuilding process. The wing easily glued back together using five minute epoxy resin and I did a Frankenstein-type-patch-up-job on the cowl which looked ugly but at least it was back in one piece!! I also epoxy'd all of the fuse cracks I could find and proceeded to bend the motor shaft and adapter back into alignment. I also noticed that the motor had been pushed back about 1cm so I moved it back and re-tightened the mount.

I completely covered the wing and fuse with clear packing tape for added strength which also hid all of the yellowish epoxy glue and gave the whole plane a kind of gloss, not unlike Monokote. With the obvious exception of the busted cowl, I think it looks better now than when I first put it together!!

Less than 24 hours later, and after a good few hours on the FMS simulator, I was ready for another maiden flight. Well, she took off from the cricket pitch again and this time climbed with authority!! I got her up to about 200 feet and cut back the throttle to about 1/3 before I even tried to turn her. The wind was about 12Mph but the Cessna lapped it up no problems at all. The controls don't require much input at all and it turns on a dime!! There's plenty of power and it's rock solid in the air, flies perfectly!!

I flew around for about ten minutes and brought her around for a landing approach directly into the wind. I backed off on the throttle a bit more and she descended perfectly with me in full control at all times. I always fly into landings with about 20% throttle and this worked perfectly with the Cessna. The touchdown was perfect. Probably the best landing I've ever done with any plane!!

The best thing about this plane is it's great scale looks and flight stability (Once you learn what you are doing!!) as well as it's easy repair-ability. Some five minute epoxy and a roll of clear packing tape is just about all you'll need.

The worst thing is the cheap TX & RX electronics, nasty servos and ESC. I will repace them with better quality gear when the bank balance is a bit more healthy, but overall, I would give this plane about 8 out of 10 for performance and value for money. I will eventually upgrade to the 4 channel wing when I get around to putting better radio gear into it as well.

The quality of the electronics was disappointing, but I guess for the price you can't really complain. The tail feathers were also flimsy and creased easily but I used a thin sliver if fabric gaffer tape from elevator tip to tip and over the rudder and another one tip to tip under the elevator to counter the top one and tis seems to help a lot.

All in all a great little plane and a stable flyer. IMPORTANT TIP!! Take the extra time to re-enforce it a bit before flying and you'll have a great plane to add to your fleet that looks and flies wonderfully.

Happy Flying!!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Naloxone

Good Day.Got the Cessna about a month ago(stay in South-Africa,it takes time to get stuff from overseas) Spent many hours in front the computer with FMS.Can fly that FMS with close eyes.But not the same as the real thing.To get back to the story,4 temps to fly the Cessna.Could not get the plane of the ground.Then to try ed hand lounged with full throttle,went striate down to the ground.Broken the wing in 2 places.Reading AL the post,i cant see a reason why it cant fly.Gonna take it apart,rebuild it all over and will add some packing tape.In the beginning i thought the plane is to heavy with the 7 cell battery.But that is the standard battery for the plane.Also going to make sure the motor is 100% center and not @ the back.

Will let you oaks know what happens

Keep on flying!!!!

Naloxone
Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 AM
jmir

I had the same problem when I tried to fly my Cessna for the first time. It broke the wing in two places and bent the propeller shaft.
I had not properly installed the back wing and rudder. The rudder was not straight. Also, it was windy that day. I fixed the wing and ordered a new motor.

Once I corrected that, it took off from the ground without any problems. It is very easy to fly on calm days. I've learned to fly it on windy days as well except the batteries don't last as long since I have to run motor at full power against the wind with nose pointing slightly down to avoid rapid climbs. I fly it almost every day. I only miss days when it is way too windy (over 10 mph) or raining.

To protect the plane, I've used clear tape on the wings (edges, top and bottom), also completely covered the fuselage. I've also reimforced the tail which is a weak part of the plane. It looks really shinny!

Since then, I've crashed the plane several times, done cartwheels on take offs and landings, ran into a tree on a windy day. All with little damage to the plane. Finally learned from experience what to do and not do when flying the plane and have not crashed in a long time.

You will love this plane once you get it properly set up and trimmed.

Good luck!

Jmir

Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 AM
mmm208

Visit www.parkflyers.com
Old 06-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Anushian

Hi,
I got this plane for Christmas and just took it out for its first flight (and my first flight ever with an RC plane) today. I had some (alot ) crashes but since the field was filled with tall growing weeds, only minor damage was sustained and nothing was broken except for some lost landing gear. I noticed that rc-expert (http://www.rc-expert.com/product-access.php?pid=78) was carrying a brushless motor with ESC part for the cessna. If anyone has purchased it already, is it an easy install (straight swap of stock motor/ESC no soldering) or would a newbie with RC planes/soldering have to take it into someone who knows what they're doing.
Thanks,
Anushian
Old 06-02-2005, 10:36 PM
very-short

Hi All ,
well its been a while since I was here , ok here the news I crashed my first one of these it wasnt pretty and a total right off Im now onto version 2 and waaaaahoooo .... this little cessna is great fun heres my set up ....

Electronics:
Futaba 6xas Tx
Robbe/Futaba rx600 Rx
Robbe 819 Li-Po ESC
Thunder Power 11.1v 1320mah Gen 2 batteries { 5 in total }
Standard Motor
Standard Servos

Mod's:
Working flaps 0-40 Degree Deflection
Steerable Nose wheel { du-bro 1/2a nose wheel kit }
Working Nav lights including two strobs at FAA reg 85 Blinks per min 4 landing lights controlled from ch5 of my TX for on/off Port and starboard lights { I found a web site that shows you how to make your own nav lights .

This plane is flying really well at the moment am getting about 15-25 minutes flight time { using throttle conservation }

Hope you guys enjoy my pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60874.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	279709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22880.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	279710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97499.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	279711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62603.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	279712  
Old 06-02-2005, 10:39 PM
very-short

opps forgot to add that the set of wings in the picture are my test/crappy wings { they were involved in a major crash with this plane its amazing what a little resign will do ...hahah } I have a brand new set all wired with Nav lights and ready to go .
Old 06-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Naloxone

I'm very impress what you did with the plane.I will also take the next step to mod the plane as soon as i'm confident that i wound crash it.Can you please tell us what is the web site's name where they tell you how to insert landing lights.Gonna fly my plane again this weekend,just hope it works out for the best,getting it off from ground first.

Keep up the good work

Naloxone
Old 06-03-2005, 02:06 AM
very-short

ok here is the link to the web site for making the landing lights yourself but it also has a few other cool projects.A little electronics knowledge is required!
http://www.rc-cam.com/projects.htm

This is another web site that makes the lighting system check out there video's the one with the kyosoho learjet is impressive .
http://www.curtek.com/store/customer...hp?productid=1
Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 AM
Naloxone

Well,rebuild the plane.Covert with clear packing tape.Took it out for a test run on Saturday morning,went in the air with no problem. It climb so easy,but to find the control of the airplane is very sensitive.The up and down elevator work 100%,but when i turn i find the plane is very unstable.Why is that?.Did try to land but had a little of a crash landing.no damage luckily.Sunday was a different story.The plane went in the air no problem then boom something happened and the plane went down(HARD)don't know what happened it just went down.The plane broke in 6 places.Lucky the motor is still fine and the shaft not bend.Lot of rebuild to do.But was thinking maybe to replace the turning with the rudder to use the main wing to turn.If you think about it you only need to use the rudder for controlling the plane on the ground and not in the air.So i have two choices,make the plane a four channel with will cost me,have to replace the transmitter and the receiver and a extra servo or use the servo for the rudder on the main wing.Let me know what you guys think please.Need all the help that i can get.

Naloxone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.