Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Ikarsu Shmuckflyer question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 06:28 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ikarsu Shmuckflyer question

Has anyone knocked the motor off the nose of a shck flyer and had the prop rip up the foam before you got to throttle down ?
I bought the complete brushless 3D set up from Ikarus and on my second take off the tail picked up so quick that the prop hit when the nose got too low to the ground and ouch..
Talk about a down and outer,, just about to go for flight number two and the nose is shredded

I have no idea if anyone has had to repair just the nose on one of these,any suggestions, pictures would be of great help. I would hate to have to start over with another complete build
Old 11-20-2004, 03:21 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ikarsu Shmuckflyer question

I got fed up with that crappy motor mount on my shockflyer, and replaced it with a GWS 350.

I just epoxied a block of wood, in the front of the fuselage.

The stock motor is good, but the mounting system is horrible. After running it for a while, I pulled it out, and the driveshaft actually MELTED the bushings, so the driveshaft would wobble as the motor turned. Eventually this got so bad, it started grinding teeth off the plastic gears.

Save yourself the trouble and dump the stock motor, and go get a GWS 350 or a brushless. The GWS is built 100 times better than the stock motor, and they weigh about the same...oh yeah the GWS also makes tons more thrust.

Slap a GWS1047 prop on there with a 11.1v 700mah LiPo, and it will rock.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Foamaholic

Could stiffen the front with some carbon rod placed lengthwise.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:17 PM
bdavison

Well, I knew the GWS 350 would put out more get up an go....but WOW.

I can hold the plane out, point the nose up, and crank up to about 3/4 throttle, and it will climb vertically out of sight. I could never get the stock motor to do that. This plane ROCKS.

I reinforced the nose with some ply, and extra foam. Its heavier now, but since I do a majority of my flying outdoors, and with the extra power...it doesnt matter.

My favorite manuver is to hold it out, rev it up, let go, and roll it straight up until I can barely see it. Then clip the power, and spin it down until its about 8ft off the ground, then snap it into a hover and hand catch it. Do this infront of a pattern flyer, and his eyes will bug out of the sockets. Do this infront of someone that has never flown R/C and they will be on the internet buying a trainer in an hour.

Its like the thing is rocket powered.
Ive flown gas planes for years, and Ive never seen anything with the power to weight ratio this thing has.

Im hooked.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:10 AM
zeeshan

did you add any right thrust to the motor
Old 09-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Al - Aviation Junkie

I have built and flown three Ikarus Shockys till they eventually crashed and am busy with a new Ikarus F3a Shocky... I have learnt the hard way with most of the weak points on these shockys... The new ones are better.. I use a AXI 2208/34 outrunner setup and wouldn't fly it with anything less.. This is what I do to a shocky when I build it..

Before I assemble the two pieces of the fuz I cut square inlays into the front of the fus with about 2-3 degrees right a about 1 degree of down thrust for the firewall be glued onto... Then I cut out a round firewall from 3.2 mm 3ply with little grooves for the foam to slide into... Then I cut a piece of stock 10mm balsa and glue it with 30 min epoxy to the back of the firewall to support it.. It fits nice an snugly.. I also reinforce the fus here an there with triangle balsa and epoxy.. And as I posted in another thread, I use carbon fiber pushrods from an old foamy and use it as bracing between the fin and tail plane to make it stiffer, one mod that really increases its flying quality..

I do exactly the same with the new shockys but they are alot more solid... I will post some pics as soon as I finish the one I'm busy with.. won't be too soon as I'm waiting for a replacement servo.(one died during the last crash)..

Hope I helped..

AL..