Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Joining EPP Wings...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Virgin_Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining EPP Wings...

Hi
I've just recently moving into flying wings (a EPP Combat Wing).

I'm after some advice on joining the two wing halves... the manufacture recommends one of the "3M" products, which the manufacture now has changes the active ingredients and it now contains a solvent...
I have used an acrylic based contact adhesive (which I tested on a small piece of EPP prior) to join the wing halves together...

It appears to have "stuck" quiet well...

Does anyone have any advice on whether this join would be strong enough?? anyway of checking it???

or should I just apply the tape (and other stuff) and go flying.. and see what happens????

Thank in advance

VB
Old 11-14-2004, 08:12 PM
brido

Default RE: Joining EPP Wings...

Yes, In Australia you should use the 3M Multipurpose glue, not the 77.

Other alternatives are double sided carpet tape ( surprisingly efficient especially if accompanied bar a spar (which is usual); or epoxy- 5 minuute will do.

Brian Coorangbong.... sort of near Newcastle.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Ritewing
My Feedback: (1)

The proper way to join epp is shoe goo ,plumbers goo ,or marine goo.
They are all the same and are very strong yet pliable.
If you use a hard adhesive your wing will crack in half on impact or flexing which deafeats the purpose of having a durable wing made of epp. Lol on the doublsided tape, sorry had to laugh.Ps A, 3m spray adhesive works well too ,let it tack up good first.

Chris
Old 11-15-2004, 09:36 AM
RickAvery

VB,
When I was starting out building up my first wing I posed the same question. One bit of advice was to use hot melt glue. So I did. It works excellent!. My wing had only a single spar and after awhile it started flapping. The joint at the wing root never came apart. I have since gone brushless and added carbon reinforcement. It goes twice as fast, doesn't flap and the original hot glue joint is still holding tough. If I build another wing I'll use it again. I was also told to beware of glue which sets up hard. The shoe goo method sounds good also.
Rick