Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

FOAMIE WIND LIMITS?

Old 11-22-2004, 03:06 PM
wollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOAMIE WIND LIMITS?

From reading forums and vendor websites I've noticed that the typical foamie is about 12 to 24 ozs, 30 to 40 inches wingspan with 280 to 400 size stock motors.

I just have some questions about wind tolerances .... like ...

1. How much wind can these typical models fly in?

2. What's a good "wind tolerance limit" for a foamie park flyer?

3. What makes a plane better in higher winds than others? Weight? Power? Shape of wing?

4. Is a low wing plane better than a high wing plane for wind tolerance ... or vice versa?

Where I live winds typically gust anywhere from 5 to 25 mph!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:31 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: FOAMIE WIND LIMITS?

I also live in a area like that (Chicago)
1. I have 3 foam planes about to your stats, the max I fly in with them is 5 to no more then 8 m.p.h. for no ailerons. I do have one plane with ailerons and it could handle up to 9 to 11 m.p.h.
3. Weight, Power, Shape of wing and prop all factor in.
4. I Have yet to get a low wing foam plane
Old 11-22-2004, 11:56 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

In my opinion, you can fly any of the low wing planes in lots of wind....it just depends on your skill and how much you want to fight it.

Personally I like a little wind. It makes it fun for hanging it on the prop. And it makes you fly the plane. For 3D, as little wind as possible. Its a pain to hover when its gusting.

Ideally, no more than 8-10 mph for a depron plane (youll be fighting it though). If your flying a styrofoam formed plane such as a formosa or something simular. It should cut through the wind like any balsa plane should.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Woody 51

The Alfa and F/Styro scale warbirds handle wind no problems when flying high.

The trouble is trying to land them in windy conditions. Down near the ground, dirty air caused by ground turbulence just flips and flings them around all over the place. Landing becomes a matter of "hope for the best!"

They are best flown in winds UP to 5 knots, no more.

I have flown my Aerobird in stronger winds than my Alfa's. Not as good penetration (lack of power) but much easier to land in choppy conditions. (I don't have the undercarriage installed on it by the way)

Now an Aerobird with a Brushless motor. That would be good.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Capt Don

Dear Wollins,

Just read your 2 month old post and saw you didn't really get any recommendations for foam aircraft capable of handling landings in a good breeze. I just posted a similar request. Have you identified a plane that would work?

I live near Syracuse NY and experience similar winds as Toronto.

Thanks for any ideas you can share.

Capt Don
Old 01-20-2005, 11:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

You make some mention of parkflyers, however you are in the foamie area. What kind of plane are you looking for?

When I asked the same question, the answer I got was that flying wings are the best in the wind.

I have a Unicorn & have flown it in 30mph winds with 35mph gusts. It flew well.

The best part is that they are very crash-worthy, so I take them out intentionally when it's very windy.

Brad
Old 01-21-2005, 09:33 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I fly foamies I prefer little to no wind at all. I prefer to fly torque rolling manuvers 2 feet from the ground (harrier rolls, torque rolling circles, etc.) I like dragging the tail constantly, All this stuff can't be done in 10 mph winds with somthing that weighs 10 to 12oz. I have a blast flying foamies ,but most of it is done in the evening or early morning.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:09 AM
X_Vyceroy_X

i have a few foamies that will take up to 25mph gusts with 15-20 steady .. its a converted Wal-Mart Foam glider ..i am running a Razor 350 in a GWS gearbox geared to a C running a 9x7 prop.. elevon mixing with a servo in each wing .. the local guys have nicknamed it the pocket rocket.. here are a few pics ..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51157.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	218792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78119.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	218793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12096.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	218794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56707.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	218795  
Old 01-25-2005, 01:23 AM
clovus

I havea GWS TM400 and it seems to be able to handle some wind - maybe 5-8 knots at best. But then again I think it depends on skill level, at maybe 8 knots it moves around a lot and definately needs lots of power on - no slow flying. The stronger wind is also problematic for landing - due to the ground turbulance. My previous pod'n'boom would take on any wind as long as the motor was powerful enough to keep it moving forwards (solved by getting a larger battery, the only problem was turning sharply caused the thin foam wing to crumple or fold next to the reinforcing rod.....but made for some spectacular crashes though!

What about slope gliders - they need wind - maybe what you're looking for?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:27 AM
WhtBronco

Just depends on your flying skill. My only foamie to date is the Eflite Ultimate. I have flown it in winds up to 15 mph, gusting to 20+. It can get to a point where it’s not much fun though. You just fight the plane since it gets thrown around so much by the wind. In high winds I just try to time landings between gusts and do a harrier landing. That has worked the best for me. Besides a harrier landing in moderate to high winds is not all that tough anyway since airspeed is higher than the ground speed.

I tend to prefer flying my foamie in winds less than 10mph. Calm winds are the most fun for me generally. I, like many others, tend to fly my foaime in the morning or the evening when winds are more calm.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Woody 51

Small HOTLINERS, like the Gerbardht "BABY" (from Hobby Lobby) although not made of foam, but weigh in at around the same as a "foamy", will handle very strong wind up into the 20 plus knots region.

Its all about penetration. Many foamies are scale warbirds etc and their slab sides catch the wind and make them quite a handlful in strong breezes.

Others, such as Zagi's or Twin Vipers, fare batter in wind.

Where I live, wind is the norm rather than the exception, especially in summer when the sea breeze gets up to 20 -30 knots at times. When it does, a Hotliner is the best order of the day. In the cooler months when the winds die down, Alfa foamy warbirds etc are quite popular.