Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

3D Foamy Edge 540 Pro Problem or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

3D Foamy Edge 540 Pro Problem or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:06 AM
cliffclof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Foamy Edge 540 Pro Problem or not?

I just received my 3Dfoamy.com Edge 540T PRO Kit. This is the one with the new wing design. I'm not sure, but I think this kit has been cut wrong. Everything seems okay except the wing spar needs to be bent to be inserted. Is this right. It seems the carbon fiber straight rod will put too much pressure on the wing and cause damage. Am I wrong? I can't find a manual specific to the 540T PRO Model I ordered so I have no way to understand this except here.

Here is a pic of what I am seeing.

Help Please.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35611.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	209903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66727.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	209904  
Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 3D Foamy Edge 540 Pro Problem or not?

That sure doesnt seem right to me. My sukhoi GForce wing was straight spar. Id get ahold of Levi and see what he says.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:40 AM
cliffclof

It is not a problem. Instructions would be nice, but if anyone is critical like me then just be sure to glue the bottom covers on and let dry well then put the bent rod in. It seems to work really good, but I reinforced the bottom cover with more CA on the edges. I'm curious to see how well it holds up in the crash that I won't get into.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Woodsy

looking on the site it dosent seem that plans/manual have been updated for G Force yet BUT the old ones show a straight cut.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 PM
davef

I have the same problem. I just received the Raven with the new wing design and the spar hole cutout is bent. I can't find any reference to building the new wing so I have put it back in the box. I have tried calling and emailing 3dfoamy, but so far i'm just getting more and more frustrated.

How do you assemble the wing? The spar looks like it will rip the wing if I bend it in. Any help appreciated.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:47 PM
JohnVH

Well, I talked to a buddy that talks to Levi regularly, and claims that is how they are supposed to be, my sukhoi kit wasnt, but he said these new ones are.... Do as the GForce wing plans say and glue on the bottom sheeting, then try to put the spar in?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:57 PM
cliffclof

oops wrong thred. That was weird.....
Old 02-05-2005, 12:13 PM
cliffclof

I have flown the edge 540 with the bent wing spar a lot. The first time i took it out i had the balance all wrong and was flying at night. (try not to maden at night in trees) I wrecked hard and thought i was never going to fly it again. two days later I was up after gluing it right back together. Foamies are sweet!

Anyway I found no problem whatsoever with the bent rod in the wing. The wing is very very strong and light too. Before you input the rod use plenty of ca on one side to mount one wing cover. Then be sure to use epoxy for strength.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:21 AM
davef

I've been flying my Raven with the bent carbon rod in the wings for a week now. It flies really well, and now that i've reduced the li-poly batteries from 2100 mah to 900 & 1300 mah the model really appreciates the reduced wing loading. It just does what the book (web site) says.

Flies where you tell it to and generally stays there, and it's the same upside down. The only issue I have is that my harriers oscillate around the roll (aileron axis).

I'm really pleased with the Raven, and I do believe that Levi's designs are superb. My only gripe is that I started with a load of parts that I couldn't identify from the plans / instructions. I have just completed the F-18 and have the same problem - stacks of bits that I cant identify and don't know what to do with. The building frustration appears to be caused by the kits being updated but the plans / instructions remain the same.

Overall an excellent flying experience (Raven, as the F-18 not flown yet), but a poor building experience due to the instructional let down.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:04 AM
RCAV8ER52
My Feedback: (5)

To all who may be interested,
To build the new PRO version wings go to 3dfoamy.com and download the instructions for the
SU26-MX PRO 3D. All the PRO wing instructions are basically the same. I have the Turbo Raven
PRO and Levi told me to just follow the instructions for the SU26-MX PRO. Hope this helps!
RCAV8ER52
Old 02-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Levi_Jordan
My Feedback: (21)

Hi guys,

Sorry about the manual thing. Orders took off way to fast and I've been just trying to keep up. The PRO wing has the "G-FORCE" spar design, and it's preloaded. if you flex a spar, it is very easy to bend at first, then quickly becomes rigid after being bent. The Preloading takes the initial load and puts in into the spar. This way, in flight it gets no flex.... Very cool!

I just uploaded the manuals for most of the PRO kits. They are there on the plans/manuals page to download. Enjoy....
Old 03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Bringing up an old thread.....

building the 300Xl pro wing and the wing pieces do not match.....

meaning, if I put the top sheet ( the two longer peices that fit together) onto the wing and match up the tabs in the center... the Leading edges do not match at all......

If I match the LE of the two foam pieces (I'm assuming this is the way it should be) then there is a gap in the center (small, but there) and there is a bit of foam hanging off the end of the wing...I'm assuming just cut this off and move on, but would love to hear from others......

also...my carbon spar is a bit too long...even curved.... what would you do? Cut the spar (about 3/4") or make the slot longer...
I'm leaning towards lengthening the slot
Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 PM
JohnVH

if I remember right, I cut my spar to fit, but my top and bottom gforce sheets fit fine, but remember, once you sand the LE and wingtips, youll smooth it all together. Make sure you put the right sheets on top and bottom
Old 03-01-2005, 12:32 PM
exeter_acres

there isn't really a top and bottom of the center piece until I put the sheets on....correct?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:13 PM
8KCABrett
My Feedback: (1)

correct, you start by locating the BOTTOM wing skins (these are the longer ones with the servo cutouts and center tabs in them) and installing it that determines the top or bottom of the main wing there is a slight finish difference to the foam, one side is more shiny than the other, other than that no difference.

Oh and please see your other thread exeter-acres for info about the wing design and building steps and requirements regarding the flexed spar and wing assembly order of operations.

To better understand how your kit should go together please see these threads below, there is plenty of step by step pics and text of the unique parts of the kit, and feel free to ask about anything that your unsure of.

For details and pics see my build thread here:

http://www.txsquadron.com/topic.asp?...&TOPIC_ID=2016

and the associated RCU post here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2632704
Old 03-01-2005, 04:19 PM
exeter_acres

Yep...read your report.... nice work and great paint job.... I am just a bit concerned that the bottom wing sheet doesn't really fit...

I can make it work no problem..... but just a bit concerned

Thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 04:22 PM
8KCABrett
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, at the risk of cross posting a reply:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<

EDIT: Wait, is that picture WITH the spar already in the slot???? If so that's probably your problem!!

You build the wing by first installing the bottom skin, THEN epoxy in the spar, Then do the top wing skin. This order is critical. If not then I would contact Levi and link him to those pics. Though as I said before, I think it will probabyl be just fine anyway.

Don't cut the CF tube, the laser cut slot has little tabs at the end of the main slot that you should cut out too, once you cut these out the spar sits perfectly in there. . . it does look sort of confusing though. Keep in mind that the way the wing builds the spar is curved, this pre-loads it and does reduce the flex of the wing. You must build the wing in the right order though or the spar could damage the wing. As far as the wing skins, it looks like perhaps you did get the wrong skins for the main wing. That said I think if you line up the leading edges, accept the trailing edge gap and sand the tips to your desired flush finish that you wont have any problems with the aircraft. The trailing edge gap looks like it is in the area that you will probably have sanded anyway when you bevel the skin into the main wing. You may loose a few centimeters of contact area but you wont need it, and the wing should still be as solid and secure as you could want.

Now, I also think that this is a mistake in the kit and that you should contact Levi at 3D Foamy and let him know.

To better understand how your kit should go together please see these threads there is plenty of step by step pics and text of the unique parts of the kit, and feel free to ask about anything that your unsure of.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>