Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Rudder to Aileron conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:50 PM
tramsay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder to Aileron conversion

Hi all,
I have been flying a 3ch cub from parkzone (http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Det...Number=PKZ1100) for awhile and am getting bored with it. So I decided to fix the rudder and use the servo to drive some ailerons. Rolls here I come!...

I mounted the servo top center on the wing. I used a standard sized 12 in ruler as my aileron template. I Cut them out of the wing about an inch off each side of the fuse, and stopped them about 4 in from the tips of each wing. The wing span is 37in.

The conversion was successful, but with a few weirdities. Instead of "banking" like a normal aileron turn. It pitches up and fly’s almost sideways. I think It might be a bit tail heavy, but when not turning it flys pretty level. Is there is anything else that I should do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
~Tip
Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Rudder to Aileron conversion

Tramsay,
Couple of things, as I did the same to one of mine, kept servo in stock position and used push/pull system. Have you flown aileron equipt. planes before? Possible too much up elevator before ailerons bite in, are you trying this in mode #1 or #2? If you use ailerons only will it barrel roll? If you fly inverted how much down elevator do you have to use, more=nose heavy, less=tail heavy. Also, as it's not very fast, maybe it's not reacting as fast you think it should, you could be loosing lift on the wings as it banks and your stalling it.
BJ
Old 01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
tramsay

Hi BJ,
THe cub was my first plane, and since then I moved on to fly the Stryker(3 ch elevon) and a 4ch .46 Avistar.

Great point about which mode i am in. I think it is still in its stock mode, coupling elevator with rudder(now aileron). I will check that amd make sure it is set up fully independant operation. The wing on the cub is really A symetrical so I am not sure it could even sustain inverted flight.

Last night I added a bit of weight to the nose, so between that and making sure I am in the mode, I hope it will make a difference. I am going to try and go fly at lunch...wish me luck!

Thanks
~Tip
Old 01-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Glacier Girl

TIP,
Believe me it will fly inverted, just try it a couple of mistakes high, easiest out of a dive into a begining loop,as it rolls on its back apply down elevator, keep speed up, if not it will slowly loose altitude. Again, about not reacting as fast as you think, maybe this is better explanation.
The Cub is a slow flyer in real life, it's not a Mustang, turns are slow and easy in a Cub, it's just puttering along. The Mustang's a race horse in comparison, so fast that gravity / lift has less effect in a turn. The Cub's not going fast enough to compensate for loss of wing lift when you bank it,(tail drops), the more you bank the less lift you have. Guess that's why you don't see a lot of Cubs in pylon racing.
Good luck,and be sure to check out the old forums
BJ
Old 01-25-2005, 01:54 PM
tramsay

BJ,
So you also have done this to a parkzone J-3? if so what other modification have you made? I had to add 1.5oz to the nose to get the cg 1.7 in back from the leading edge of the wing. I am sure that is slowing it all down. What prop are you using? I have both a GWS 9070 and a 1047. I typically fly with the 1047, but had tried the 9070 to get a bit more speed.

~Tip
Old 01-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Glacier Girl

Tip,
1.5oz to the nose? What did you do to the rudder to lock it, steel plates? LOL You're right, it's probably at a stall point at level flight. No wonder it's stalling on turns. Something's defintly wrong in the tail.
As for mods, I have built above mentioned wing mod, built skis for snow, floats for water, steerable tail wheel,switched to DAVE BROWN 2" lite flight treaded tires. And "supercharged" one. Let me explain, put in a venom 370P racing motor, # ven-1320 now pulls 270 grams vs 150 of PZ motor, using a megatech prop,#mtc 990028, much heavier construction especially at hub/ prop area, also doesn't flex as much. My opinion, but much stronger than PZ or GWS prop. Doesn't seem to flatten out as much either. NEW set up much faster than original and "more power". Normal speed on old Cub at WOT is now just above start point on new version. It'll almost hoover, maybe with a little more practice.
New set up changes how plane flys in wind, penetrates much better.
Not quite a Mustang, closer to a Pinto.
Let me know about weight issue.
BJ
www.venom-racing.com
www.megatech.com
www.dbproducts.com
p.s. something I almost forgot, loose many nose cones? CA 2 small pieces of cord inside the nose cone, 1 loop on each prop cut out, just enough you can slide the prop through them,install prop, snap on nose cone. No more searching for the blasted nose cone[sm=idea.gif]
Old 01-25-2005, 02:52 PM
tramsay

THanks for all that BJ!

So basically your saying I need more speed! [:-]

I am saving up for a brushless lipo setup to put in a foamie yet to be decided. I will definitly keep that venom motor in mind though should I have an extra $20 laying around. does it fit in the stock PZ gearbox? Or are you using some other gearbox and propshaft?

~Tip
Old 01-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Glacier Girl

Tip,
Yep more speed and/or less weight.
Motor fits right in,though bolt holes are slightly off, I used a drop of CA to secure. Also you have to swap the pinion gear to the new motor shaft, and solder old leads to motor. Same mount and prop shaft. Kinda like dropping a V8 into a Vega, makes a real "sleeper" out of it. Loads of fun flying against a stock one.
BJ
ps Peak Racing makes one also same bolt pattern and has correct gear, $40.00, I think the Venom is a much better deal. 2motors & 2 props VS 1 motor
Old 01-25-2005, 05:59 PM
tramsay

BJ,
Thanks for the info!

~Tip
Old 03-06-2005, 11:27 PM
rcuser002
Banned
My Feedback: (12)

Brad--aka Glacier Girl

Please take the precious time to explain how you installed the ailerons and servos (what kind? same PZ replacement?) on the cub's wing and fuselage and the mods to the electric set up

Does battery time go down--or is there any other "cons" to the modification.

I'm surprised nobody has asked these aileron mod questions yet!!!

I'm so psyched to try any of the suggestions you have cause I have an extra wing allready to go--what else do I need ?

Any pix and details would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Bob G

P.S. Cause of this thread----I have just ordered the venom 370 motor --and have the dubro skies, extra wing, prop shaft, xtra battery, the hobbico "elite" charger (which takes much longer (longer is better?) to charge the 7 cell 600mAh than the crappy factory included cigarette lighter), engine mount, and made the 17 inch $1.97 floats from a float thread.