Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Which foamie

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which foamie

Ok I did a bit of research and have narrowed my choices down to either a Fancy Foam kit or a kit from Insane Foamies..I wanted to get something as complete as possible..Is there any reason one is better than the other? They both seem like good choices I believe Insane is a bit cheaper..I dont have anything for electric so Im starting from scratch..Ive read that the Apache charger is a good foolproof unit..

Also do you guys buy extra packs to use when they run out of juice or do you just fly and then re-charge?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Old Man

Default RE: Which foamie

I wish I could help with you thoughs particular planes but I can't. I can tell you that I take at least 4 battery packs per plane when I go flying.

I am assuming that you have never flown before as you stated that you have no radio gear. Hippo carries a great trainer that you can buy as a kit or just the plans. It is called the Frog and they fly great! All four of my kids learned how to fly with the Frog. Dan is a great guy and his site has a great section that shows the frog being built. You can see the frog here.
http://www.foamfly.com/customer/home...94b74d538c19d1

The assembly page is here http://www.foamfly.com/gallery/Frog_Build Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

The frog is a very easy to fly plane and it will stand up to a lot of abuse (read crashes) Dan (Hippo) is a great guy and all of his planes fly very well. The Frog is well known in the foamie circles and has been built thousands of times with great success. Dan also has some good buys on electronics. Go to his site and look around it may change your mind.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Old Man
I am assuming that you have never flown before as you stated that you have no radio gear.
Actually Ive been flying for almost 20 years...Mostly glow and now shortly gas..Dont have any experience with lectric
Old 01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I have built a couple fan fold planes....

but if I were to do a brushless foamy....(spent my brushless money on a motor for my Zagi!)

Hmmmm

I would probably do the Insanefoamies setup

Really seems like you can't go wrong with either
Old 02-01-2005, 09:49 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about insane foamy's but I have a Fancy Foam Ultimate. It would be hard to beat the quality of the kit from Fancy Foam. The plane is alittle bigger which I have found is good and bad. If you want the smoother gentle feel go for the Ultimate. It doesn't have that snappy, hot rod feel though. I kind of like that in a foamy. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:10 PM
RCNUTKNOY
My Feedback: (2)

Redrum,

I see you have a Wild Hare Edge( I think). I do as well. Love it. I bought the Fancy Foam Ultimate kit. Painted to match my old Goldberg Ultimate. Awesome plane. fly it at lunch at work. Very, Very aerobatic. I have two battery packs for that plane. Gets two nice 15 minute flights(along with lots of "quick" moves). I highly recommend this kit. Very complete..Flys great. Just got their Edge kit as well. Willpaint it to match my Wild Hare 540T. Great practice plane for the 28% ones.

Just my 2 cents worth.

John
Old 02-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Josey Wales

Ive decided to go with the FF but am deciding on the Edge or Extra..My DA-50 will ber here on Monday so I can finally finish up my WH Edge!! I think Im going to get 3 packs also and the Apache Charger..right now they have a special where you can upgrade to a outrunner motor at no extra cost!!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:11 PM
WhtBronco

Look into the Astro Flight 109 charger as well. I have been very pleased with mine. Super simple to use and has been perfect.

I would get the outrunner upgrade. I really outrunners since they are mostly direct drive. I just don't care for gear boxes. I have the HiMaxx 2812/0650 outruner on an Eflite Ultimate and the performance is spectacular.

I have 2 batteries for my foamy. I get 20+ minute flights on each charge. I mostly fly it at home. When I go to the field its for my glow stuff, 3D planes and my heli. The electric foamy is fun to toss around alright it's blast at times, but IMO it's just not up to the flying quality of my glow planes and cost as much or more than my .40 size planes.