Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Yak foamie...Worth a damn?

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Great Planes Yak foamie...Worth a damn?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Merkaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Yak foamie...Worth a damn?

Im wanting a foamie and was wondering.....
Old 02-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

Default RE: Great Planes Yak foamie...Worth a damn?

I just got one together today and ,while I have a brushless for it, I tried it stock using a gws 480 esc and 1320 3s tp pack. I water broke in the motor and it really does have plenty of juice. Maybe not the unlimited kind like a good brushless but close enough to be worth the cost.

I also got a CG machine recently and used it. I had to add some tail weight but at first it really flew like crap, it was windy and I flew it off my deck in turbulent air but I really started to get worried. So instead of the slightly forward CG, I put it a 3.25 inches (they recommend 3.5 max) and it flew so much better. The fuse is strong and stiff and the airfoiled wing makes it glide really nice and fly like a "real" plane. I kept increasing the expo and still need more and some more rudder but I like it so far. Much nicer than my OLD tribute clone (built it early last year but it looks just like the tribute).

Too windy to really try much but could hover, torque roll and harrier roll it ok although sloppy inthe wind.

I'd say thumbs up... also if you get it from tower they have a 20 dollar off thing for 50 dollar orders. certainly worth 30 bucks!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Merkaba

Thanks....anyone else?

oh hey, whats a good lipo charger/discharger that doesnt cost a million bucks??
And whats water breaking in?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:54 PM
bboykin

weere you using 480 or stock 280 ball bearing motor have one assembled and ready to go with 1500 li pol it seems to me that the elev wire is weak have changed out aeiron wirs and rudder made my own
Old 02-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

I just used the stock motor to try it out first and it really seems to have enough power. It does seem to hover at 4/5 throttle or so but I think some of that may be the GWS esc not being totally linear in the throttle because when you give it full it pulls straight up fairly powerfully. Not weakly like a 46 2 stroke on a twist for example. I doesn't have waterfall kind of power though.

I really liked the prebent wires. If I didn't use ez connectors, those prebent wires would have fit exactly. very nice. I haven't had a problem at all with the pushrod wires they supply (I bent one end straight for the ez connectors) and the floating elevator design is interesting and nicely done.

It does seem to need more rudder but I haven't maxed out the throw yet to even get to the 2.5 inches in the manual so I'll try that first.

Water breakin is basically taking a new brushed motor and running it at low voltage underwater. It helps wear the brushes in so they have a smooth curved surface that fits the commutator. I just run the motor in a glass of water at 6V from a lantern battery and change the water every 5 minutes when I notice it starting to darken from the brushes wearing. Total run underwater is about 15 minutes or so and then use a heat gun to dry it so nothing rusts or anything. Then very lightly oil the bushings the shaft rides in. Thats it. Seems to help a bit but I haven't used brushed motors much recently so its a little hard to tell for sure.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Merkaba

Is that your a-10...how does it fly?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Trogdor the Burninator

Ya, its the original EDF50s with the IPS motors. If you use light gear and 2s lipos and balance it way farther back than recommended (70mm vs 50) its really a nice parkflyer! I just upgraded to the high voltage 3s capable IPS motors and it seems to have more power. 70 watts now vs. 50 or so on the old motors as I recall... I also redid all the wiring and used deans connectors.

The Swedish Chef was a good pilot (and looked funny hanging out of it) but he created a lot of drag I didn't realize until I took him out and put the canopy on! Gained some speed with that. Flies ok in wind too, downwind full speed flybys are at a good clip. I like it overall.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Merkaba

cool...did you really fly it with him on there?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Trogdor the Burninator

Ya, but I found he slowed the plane.. I've since put the canopy on and it looks good, just not as humorous!
Old 02-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Merkaba

he slowed the plane? what??? no way. hehe.
Oh well...cant win em all
Old 02-27-2005, 02:43 PM
1RICH1

It has high wing loading. You gotta really work it. It is not much more wing than a shockflyer, but darn near triple the weight.