Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Beginners silly questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:16 PM
dxflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginners silly questions

OK firstly Im sure these questions have been answered many times but on a few searches of the archives cant find what I need. Im considering buying a unicorn and a motor.

I have been flying IC motor powered for many many years, but this is my first electric effort.

Questions

Should I go with a brushless motor or a brushed motor the brushless motor is as you well know a lot more expensive, than the 400 / 480 brushed I am considering ?

In theory will it last longer than a brushed motor ?

Any idea on average life of a motor ? (How long is a piece of string I suppose)

In theory will it give more power than a brushed motor ?

In theory will a flight last longer compared to the brushed motors ?

I cant see the unicorn replacing my IC interests but I would like a flying wing for slope soaring, and sport flat field flying, as well as a bit of thermalling (not expecting to much am I), but I dont want to buy a brushed system and then a short time later go to more expense to upgrade to a brushless setup.

Over to the experts ........
Old 08-06-2005, 06:21 PM
aggie84

Default RE: Beginners silly questions

yes
yes,
long,
yes,
yes

Really, because there is no friction loss from the brushes you don't lose near as much power to friction and heat. This combines to give more power and longer flights. A simple question to ask is "how many people are converting from brushed motors to brushless compared to those going from brushless to brushed motors". I can tell you the answer - no body goes from brushless to brushed. The extra investment for brushless motors, speed controls, li-po's and chargers is very well spent money. As for replacing your IC motors - "never say never". We have a fellow at our field who is currently flying a 30% Yak with a brushless motor. This technology is moving so fast that I believe this will be common within the next couple of years.

Have fun!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:01 AM
dxflyer

Thanks for the help on the questions, as well as extra info, very much appreciated, as there is not a lot of electric flying locally here and any that there is, is by flyers using brushed motors, hence I have nothing to compare the brushed motors to preformance wise.

Many thanks again for the help.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:59 PM
aggie84

I don't know what's available cheapest overseas so this may be bad info but I really like the Hi-Maxx set of motors (as found on allerc.com) as straight replacements for Speed 400 motors. I've had very good luck with these and started an epidemic of sorts within my club. Nobody's been disappointed yet.

Good luck,
Old 08-26-2005, 11:37 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Brushless cost 5-10 times price of brushed motor, so you can burn up 5 brushed and still come out even.

The brushelss are more efficent, but at a price. And the speed controllers are also 5-10 times for the brushless

You have to decide where the value lies for you.