Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

slowstick.......... The supercub is popular, but you end up throwing out the gear since it's junk after you get into mainstream RC, the slowstick requires you purchase some "real" gear since it's just an inexpensive kit, ie. in the 30.00 mark, but it's an awsome 1st time trainer.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:16 PM
calvino

Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

ORIGINAL: saucerguy

slowstick.......... The supercub is popular, but you end up throwing out the gear since it's junk after you get into mainstream RC, the slowstick requires you purchase some "real" gear since it's just an inexpensive kit, ie. in the 30.00 mark, but it's an awsome 1st time trainer.
yeah, I have heard that the slo-v is better for pilots who can recover from a stall under 20'. I was thinking you could take a super cub fuse... and make an ARF of the thing... you get the point. I am still thinking of making the plane (when I get the time, which I have none right now[&o]). hard to say
Old 08-31-2007, 11:22 PM
saucerguy
Banned

I so wish these RTF guys would make these into ARF options rather then sell you each individual piece, which adds up big time, especially since they are proprietary. They would be making less on replacement parts since some of these new pilots would just buy the ARF version for parts, but those that already buy arf's and never rtf's would dive right in....... hmmmm.... maby some day they will chime in, or maby not, I can't see it as doing anything more then work in their best interest, just gotta look at a bigger picture.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:53 PM
calvino

good point, the reason why I was looking into either a nitro or a home made trainer is the priprotary JUNK that these things have, now I do have to say that the x-port is a NICE option but except for that[&o], not so great. I am currious what the tail feather... lingo means
Old 09-01-2007, 01:19 AM
saucerguy
Banned

At the very end of the plane, there are areas that move around, that is what turns the plane around, to keep it in it's most simple context.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:35 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Just to show you what can be done with a wire cutter and a little creative streak on the build table:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6315597/tm.htm
Old 09-01-2007, 08:03 PM
calvino

so the tail feather is just the rudder and elevator??? I would think if you just took the free plane plans, and didn't add aelerons at first, you could learn on it??? the vid. link fisher sent me (a long time ago) showed the plane flying, seemed prety slow
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
saucerguy
Banned

The rudder is actually fixed, so just aileron, elevator per the original plans. If you were going with a tail feather control only, you'll want to make sure there is clearance for the rudders and it needs a dihedral or it won't fly correctly at all.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:28 PM
calvino

The rudder is actually fixed, so just aileron, elevator per the original plans. If you were going with a tail feather control only, you'll want to make sure there is clearance for the rudders and it needs a dihedral or it won't fly correctly at all.
thanks, since you make such nice diagrams, could you make a diagram for me loved the plans for crit and the fast plane[8D]
Old 09-01-2007, 10:35 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Diagram for a trainer I take it. I can take care of it for you, but it's still going to need revision after the fact, just as the jet needed it.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:08 PM
calvino

Diagram for a trainer I take it. I can take care of it for you, but it's still going to need revision after the fact, just as the jet needed it.
no rush
Old 09-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Fisher

Calvino,

The beauty of the SO is that it performs well with all types of power options on it. I really need to get someone to video the plane while I fly. With the BP-21 on it the plane can easily go 50 mph. I took it out yesterday for the first time in a few months and man will this monkey get loose. I had it in a flat spin at 30' and recovered just fine. At just under half throttle it slowly plows around the field for some really relaxing air time. I have used the same motor/battery and esc for 3 planes now with over 50 hours of air time and everything is working great, even after crashing a few times. The current air frame has been resurrected a couple of times after turning into a bag full of foam parts.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Fisher

Calvino,

The beauty of the SO is that it performs well with all types of power options on it. I really need to get someone to video the plane while I fly. With the BP-21 on it the plane can easily go 50 mph. I took it out yesterday for the first time in a few months and man will this monkey get loose. I had it in a flat spin at 30' and recovered just fine. At just under half throttle it slowly plows around the field for some really relaxing air time. I have used the same motor/battery and esc for 3 planes now with over 50 hours of air time and everything is working great, even after crashing a few times. The current air frame has been resurrected a couple of times after turning into a bag full of foam parts.
first, glad to hear from you. Looking at super cub but the radio stuff... you should know. things to do, convince dad to get me foam as b-day present, convince dad to get me radio equipment, get AMA... whew, that is alot, just currious what radio, battery, servos, foam... you run, thanks, also, thought you sent a link to an inboard vid, prety cool thinking of making the SO as a trainer, good or bad idea??? calvino
Old 09-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Fisher

I learned on an RTF (Slo-V). I have a Hi-Tech Optic 6 TX, Berg Mircostamp RX and 3 HS-55 micro servos in the SO. For a first plane I would suggest either purchasing a Slow Stick and inexpensive 4 channel system or just buying a Wing Dragon 4 channel from Hobby Lobby. Those will the the least expensive intro systems with good capability. The radio gear can then be used on a SO. Once you have decided that this is really a hobby you want to dive full into then you might want to start looking at a Spektrum radio system so you never have to worry about getting shot down. I have been flying my planes for 3 years at local parks etc. and never had a problem with radio gear until the other day when I started seeing short drop outs that scared the heck out of me. I was at a new flying location and must have been experiencing interference. I am very glad I was using a Berg since the RX can remember my unique radio signature.

I would make the SO a second plane not a trainer. It could be your first but you will be facing a very steep learning curve. It is your choice. I think the Wing Dragon would give you a better chance for early success and a positive feeling for the sport.

Just my 2 cents.

I forgot that I had read your posts on the Hobby Zone Super Cub. That looked like a good first plane too. The drop module and night flight modules are lots of fun. The radio gear could be transfered over to another plane but would not be as versitile as standard gear. From a flight performance standpoint the Wing Dragon will allow you to move further into the hobby before you outgrow the plane since is has ailerons.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
calvino

I learned on an RTF (Slo-V). I have a Hi-Tech Optic 6 TX, Berg Mircostamp RX and 3 HS-55 micro servos in the SO. For a first plane I would suggest either purchasing a Slow Stick and inexpensive 4 channel system or just buying a Wing Dragon 4 channel from Hobby Lobby. Those will the the least expensive intro systems with good capability. The radio gear can then be used on a SO. Once you have decided that this is really a hobby you want to dive full into then you might want to start looking at a Spektrum radio system so you never have to worry about getting shot down. I have been flying my planes for 3 years at local parks etc. and never had a problem with radio gear until the other day when I started seeing short drop outs that scared the heck out of me. I was at a new flying location and must have been experiencing interference. I am very glad I was using a Berg since the RX can remember my unique radio signature.

I would make the SO a second plane not a trainer. It could be your first but you will be facing a very steep learning curve. It is your choice. I think the Wing Dragon would give you a better chance for early success and a positive feeling for the sport.

Just my 2 cents.

I forgot that I had read your posts on the Hobby Zone Super Cub. That looked like a good first plane too. The drop module and night flight modules are lots of fun. The radio gear could be transfered over to another plane but would not be as versitile as standard gear. From a flight performance standpoint the Wing Dragon will allow you to move further into the hobby before you outgrow the plane since is has ailerons.
or I could get the wings, fuse... and make it an ARF, I don't like the lack of a trainer cord[]
Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Well, another route would be helping you get your feet wet in the building element. You can make a so. chuck glider, this will give you a healthy starting point as to what it takes to create a plane. It will teach you how to manually trim it out, distributing weight, how to get it all to fit together nicely and not worry about wrecking your gear, or worse, losing it when/if the plane fly's out of sight, or into a tree.

I started building freeflight long before RC, there are things I had to do differently with the RC version, but the freeflight experience, build wise, gave me a great advantage.

Once you are comfortable with the chuck glider, you can add cheap, 2 channel gear onto it after the fact, get used to how all that works, then you are ready to move onto the next step with retrofitting real RC gear onto it without as much risk. You'll find making the cheap gear to be a challenge, and don't expect it to work the first time.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
calvino

Well, another route would be helping you get your feet wet in the building element. You can make a so. chuck glider, this will give you a healthy starting point as to what it takes to create a plane. It will teach you how to manually trim it out, distributing weight, how to get it all to fit together nicely and not worry about wrecking your gear, or worse, losing it when/if the plane fly's out of sight, or into a tree.

I started building freeflight long before RC, there are things I had to do differently with the RC version, but the freeflight experience, build wise, gave me a great advantage.

Once you are comfortable with the chuck glider, you can add cheap, 2 channel gear onto it after the fact, get used to how all that works, then you are ready to move onto the next step with retrofitting real RC gear onto it without as much risk. You'll find making the cheap gear to be a challenge, and don't expect it to work the first time.
um, cheap chuck gliders??? who is a good co???
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Fisher

calvino,

A chuck glider is a home built glider version of your RC design that you balance and then "chuck" into the air to see if it glides well. If you can get it to glide well it should work well as a powered version.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:36 PM
calvino

calvino,

A chuck glider is a home built glider version of your RC design that you balance and then "chuck" into the air to see if it glides well. If you can get it to glide well it should work well as a powered version.
thanks, glad to hear from you, how is the hover craft???
Old 09-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Fisher

The hover craft is sitting idle for lack of motivation. I can be a real slug at times. 10% inspiration and 90% persperation is truely what life demands. Just get her done! If only it were that easy.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:14 PM
calvino

The hover craft is sitting idle for lack of motivation. I can be a real slug at times. 10% inspiration and 90% persperation is truely what life demand. Just get her done! If only it were that easy.
nice, see pics of my plane, new design, 6' wingspan... BIG
Old 09-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Fisher

Cannot see any pictures.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:27 PM
calvino

Cannot see any pictures.
um, it is here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...age_142/tm.htm
Old 09-22-2007, 06:08 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Looking good Calvino, I'd just use a stick for your fuse, it will make it much easier to put together. The polyhedral is a good pick, that's a very forgiving system.

I'm just going to link to my latest kit creation: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/N...roduct_id=2234

I haven't heard anything from critter, you still around buddy?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
calvino

Looking good Calvino, I'd just use a stick for your fuse, it will make it much easier to put together. The polyhedral is a good pick, that's a very forgiving system.

I'm just going to link to my latest kit creation: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/N...roduct_id=2234

I haven't heard anything from critter, you still around buddy?
dang, that is a real head turner[8D], I dunno about crit, where are you[], what kind of "stick" should I run, Carbon, wood, metal... I dunno[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.