Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Swift427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

deleted
Old 03-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Swift427

Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

deleted
Old 12-05-2008, 05:29 PM
fritzjd

Hello Gentlemen,

I was thinking of building a copy of the Great Planes Extra 300s Flatout. Can you recommend where to get the correct foam brand
to build it. A little confused on what to use.
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Fisher

fritzjd,

Great Planes uses a proprietory foam that is sandwiched between a thin skin. I do not believe that you can purchase the exact same foam. Most folks work with DOW bluecore fanfold faom that is ~1/4 inch thick and purchased from local builder supply like Lowes or Allied Builders supply. 6mm depron foam board is pretty much the gold standard though. You can purchase that at www.RCFoam.com . Do you already have planes or are you truely scratch building? Either way you will need foam.

This link will take you right to the depron section. Look around the site is has lots to offer.

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...category_id=60

Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 AM
calvino

the closest match to that has to be dollar tree "sturdy board" its 2 sheets of thin (newspaper style) paper sandwiched between the foam, prety light, easy to strip of paper, and $1/sheet, thats the closest i can think of, OK so i got some 3/4" foam (yes the plans call for 1 1/2 but hauling it was a pain enough), SO i got the 3/4, and used a piece i had to cut to fit in the car to make the plane, so far im really liking it, made the nose out of 3 sheets (overkill but i plan on hauling up a cam..... want protection), so other than that, im almost done installing electronics/need to install tail stuff but other than that, its almost ready to tear up the sikes, anything to 'look out for" like bad tendencies... (easy to sall) anything "nasty" to look out for, my motor system is way overkill for it (good thing), i am omitting rudders and atempting to use 1 aeleron (will have the second wired up....) anyone know how to do 2 aelerons (reversed movement) with a 4-channel reciever/non computer radio? i was thinking of using the aelerons to also act like "elevons" to control the plane (old prototype did that with good results)
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
saucerguy
Banned

I found the Elmers brand foam board to be stiffer then the dollar store brand, it's worth the extra couple of bucks in this area.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
ZRAT

Calvino, I put reverse throw ailerons on my Slow Stick w/ 4ch, just pointed the arms toward the wing tips and the gear side of the cases to the back of the wing. Doesn't matter as long as either the bottoms or the tops of the servos are facing each other and the output gears face the same direction. Verbage may not be condusive so here's a pic...Zrat

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40356.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1166951  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 PM
son of alpea42

Here is a little plane I built that is about 1/3 of a full sheet of Green Gaurd.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16662.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1168949   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43513.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1168950  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 AM
calvino

^ Cool looking plane, you need to bend up the wing tips or it will turn VERY BAD (seriously) without Dihedral or Aelerons. Does look good, I have found even 30* at the wing tips (not much) can make loads of difference [8D]
Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 AM
matt123456

Are there any videos of these planes in action?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Fisher

I have an aerial video I took from the plane. I can tell you this plane is very capable. As Foam Flyer says on his site. These planes can do way more than you would expect from a single aileron, elevator setup. They are simple, cheap and fly great! You can hug the ground at 4' and pull a full loop ending right back on the deck and keep on going. Rolls are a bit slow but that does not affect the fun factor!

Build your first one just as the plans and instructions indicate and you will be smiling all day long.

If you want to see the aerial video let me know and I will attempt to post it to YouTube.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Fisher

son of alpea42,

Hey. Just mout your motor a bit higher and add sponsons to the bottom and you will have a hydro flyer!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 AM
taekwondo

Any pictures? I'm hoping for a picture of the wing or fuse or tail so I can copy this plane.

Henry
Old 03-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Fisher

Henry,

Just check this site out. He has a lot of good ideas. Looks like he went with two motors on the latest version.

http://www.********.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3351