Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

First time electric dum-ass-questions

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

First time electric dum-ass-questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:36 PM
bla bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time electric dum-ass-questions

Ok, bitten the bullet and picked up a molded foam Ripmax Alliance for a song... been sitting on the self for years.
It says that it's made of a geared 400 -480 motor (old school I suppose)
Want to use a "brushless motor". Thats as far as my "E knowlege vocab'" goes I'm affraid.
Do I need a 400 brushless motor, a 480? Do I need a gear box?
What about props not to mention batteries, Li-po, how big?
Sorry about this chaps but I made my excuses in the headline.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 PM
AJ1202

Default RE: First time electric dum-ass-questions

Well Bla Bla
You actually have a lot of questions here that needs to be answered, first off is your plane a Kit or an ARF (almost ready to fly)
I am a newby but I have learned a lot lately so I will try to help a little then anyone else can jump in as well
It is important to know what your working with to decide on motor size and battery size, knowing expected AUW ( all up weight) is important to make these decisions, you need to decide what size ESC (electric speed controler) you will be using What you are describing sounds like it can take either a 400 geared or 480 direct drive, prop size will be related to motor and batt size
Next you need to decide how much money your prepared to spend to get your bird into the air, going brushless and lipo will be a good bit more up front but the benifits are longer flight times and more overall power and less weight
I think if you will add a little more info I am sure there will be people here that can get you going
Old 11-03-2005, 04:10 PM
bla bla

Default RE: First time electric dum-ass-questions

Well AJ... It's a molded foam, mini copy of a rather famous 2x2m pattern airplane. It won't fly like it ... but it looks similar.
40 something inch span... say 700g, loaded (old style 6 cell pack and geared motor) I'm sure I'll be able to get it down some.
The guy in the shop does know much either. Trolling RCU to see who has the gen'.