Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Home Built Foamies

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 06:30 AM
nrichardz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Built Foamies

Here We go guys

Here is a new thread on homebuilt foamies I am starting this thread because I have just finished my first scratch built airplane it is now ready to fly except for paint and some finish sanding on the edges I had a lot of fun and learned a lot by building this airplane it has a wingspan of 33.5 inches the fuselage length is 32.5 inches dont know yet what it weighs taking it to the hobbyshop today to find out going to try and maiden it this weekend to see how it flies please lets all get together and show and give advice on this thread to help others out like me who are building these planes and learning along the way Thanks

Rick

Here are some pics as I went along

Forgot to list a few things

Motor: Himaxx 2015 4166 brushless motor castle creations phoenix 10 Thunder Power 3 cell 1320mah lipoly battery 10x7 apc slowflyer prop and 3 eflite micro servos for control

Will list pictures below

Old 12-10-2005, 07:01 AM
nrichardz

Default RE: Home Built Foamies

Here are the pictures Having problems uploading pictures the right size so if there is a problem let me know

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46248.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	367705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28807.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	367706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek14958.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	367707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88734.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	367708  
Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 AM
nrichardz

More pictures

Name:	Sq47703.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	367713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63913.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	367714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61330.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	367715  
Old 12-10-2005, 08:44 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Rick
Registring my interest, will try to post the pic's previously sent to you of my foamies as soon as I sought out my internet provider, every time I try to post I get closed down.
Mike
Old 12-10-2005, 08:51 AM
BaldEagel

Success
The model is a loose version of a YAK span 40" length 38" powered by a AXI 2212/34 driving a 12 x 4.7 on 3S 1P, I designed this to make knife edge as easy as possible, which it achives the main thing is with the deep fus I can do control line turns as silly speeds (slow) and dia, its very much like the Tensor in its behaviour in that all the controls are independant of each other very little secondary affect.
Mike

Name:	Wu61607.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	367744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29664.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	367745  
Old 12-10-2005, 01:35 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Good for you Rick, glad to see your accomplising what you set out to do and nice job! Can I ask, did you free had the lines, use plans, or how did you get the measurement?
Again, great job and good luck on your maiden flight.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
nrichardz

Blue line thanks for the compliments waiting right now for batteries to finish charging and then it is time to see if it is gonna go I think it will as far as design my measurements I figured on an average of park flyer measurements and then I freehanded what I wanted the plane to look like on some posterboard refined it a little and then cut out templates then traced them on to the foam sheet and cut them out this is my first attempt at design but if this one works out I am going to do a lot more this way thanks again for the encouragement here are a couple more picts with it ready to fly when I get home from flying I will post again how it did

Rick

Name:	Tr50620.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	367865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83656.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	367866  
Old 12-10-2005, 04:17 PM
nrichardz

just had to jump on real quick and tell you guys just got home from maiden flights flew good first flight climbed a little more than it should have brought it down and put 2 degrees of down thrust in the motor put up for a second flight flew perfect I am so happy it is a feeling that is unexplainable to design and build an airplane and then see it fly and fly well will keep this post going I am going flying tomorrow and will let you know how it does again

Rick
Old 12-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

I am glad to hear of your success! Sounds like everything went really smooth with your maiden flight. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how thingd progress.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:51 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Wonderfull what more can I say, you have now reached the ultimate in RC, designing and flying your own design, glas to hear that you are going even further in your quest to build more and more, when will you build a multi engine setup? Ho Ho
I cannot agree more on the satisfaction you can derive from building your own and flying them, be prepared for some failier, not to many I hope, but when you start experimenting with wing platforms and moment arms you can get some interesting results, keep the info comming.
Next time try only one wing spar to keep the weight low, also try the deep fus it rearly turns the craft into something extra. the crutch system also does away with the fus reinforcement spar, to also reduce weight.
Congratulations once again.
Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 AM
nrichardz

thanks mike the ideas are already running through my mind maybe I will try a multi motor plane next and I am going to try your crutch system on my next one to see how it works I put the 2 spars in the wing because my tribute had too much flex for my liking but I again am happy the plane flies and flies well will keep you posted on new stuff

Rick
Old 12-12-2005, 08:05 PM
nrichardz

Mike flew the home built again at work on my lunch hour and was so happy with it seems now that cg and everything is perfect plane hovers great and is very aerobatic will do multiple loops and rolls I work in construction here and am building a new high school so I fly on my lunch breaks in the gym I flew 2 complete batteries through it today and it was great held a hover about 3 feet off the floor for about 2 to three minutes going to play with the throws a bit and see what it will do at this point it will do everything I am capable of doing with an airplane I am already starting to draw up another plane mike I have a multiplex pico cub that I use as a trainer for friends that want to get into flying and I still love to fly the plane so I am going to try and design a homebuilt cub but 4 channel with ailerons and a brushless set up but I know this will take a bit more time have a question for you though when I am designing the fuselage for this one do I design formers out of wood and then build my fuselage around the formers and sand the pieces to shape or is there another method for this procedure ? please let me know

Rick
Old 12-14-2005, 11:09 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
All accords how big you are going to build it, if its of a reasonable size you could revert to an old and trusted method of just building out of strip lay out a side view build two sides on top of each other, dont glue together! put the two sides over a plan view and join with more strip balsa, when the sun comes out I will try to take a pic of my 82" cub, it may show the construction through the covering.
Mike
Old 12-14-2005, 11:21 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Managed to take a pic with my fly tying light behind the Cub, all the stringers you can see through the covering are 1/4" sq, the longitudinal stringers are there just to add shape to the outside as pre the full size, I used to fly one of these in the early part of my full size flying, the model fly's just like the original, masse's of adverse yaw, start turn with aileron and rudder take off aileron continue turn with rudder and maybe even hold some opposite aileron to prevent over banking, most people seem to have a soft spot for the Cub as have I, but to be bruttaly honest it flies like a pig, just too underpowered, mind you I have actually soared one with the engine off in wave, but thats yet another story.
Mike

Name:	Ki18497.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	369964  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:53 PM
nrichardz

thanks for the information mike that plane looks awesome 82 inch wingspan it must be gas right? I have been looking at different thingas the last couple of days and have a million Ideas on the next project but have not decided yet I agree the cub even my little one I use for training is a little tricky to fly especially turns I guess I have just gotten used to it and now it seems so easy have you checked out those new big brushless motors yet by eflite they are a I think 46 and 60 size and am thinking about maybe just buying a gas version kit of a cub and converting it to electric the only thing is the electronics are pretty expensive but here in Boise where I live there is really no place to fly gas planes so I am trying to stay with electrics have you seen that 4 channel cub that great planes has out I have also been looking at it it is all balsa and can be set up to be brushless anyway will keep you posted on what I decide

Rick
Old 12-15-2005, 06:16 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Your right the Cub is powered by an Enya 90 4S, but I have a 72" span Graupner 300L Leki that I converted to electric, AXI 4130/16 (90 size)on 6S 2P Li-Po's 70amp controller turning a 15x10 prop, have a look at the "Graupner ARF Extra 300L Leki" thread I posted a couple of pics on it, if you require any information on any large conversions I'd be glad to oblige. The 300L is capable of unlimited vertical, prop hanging, you name it, it will do it only kept back by my fingers.
Mike
Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 AM
critterhunter

Ooops, in the wrong place. I thought this thread was "Foam Built Homies"...

Cool looking plane.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:42 PM
nrichardz

critter hunter it is I was just asking bald eagle about some options for my next design

give us your thoughts and if you have any homebuilts please post some for Ideas

Rick
Old 12-16-2005, 10:17 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Read his post again, he was being funny!

Have installed an other type of brace between the crutch and the fus, just a strip of tapered 3/4" too 3/8" wide depron cut with 45 deg angles full length of fus and cyno'd in increases strength with practically no increase in weight, works rearly well.
Mike
Old 12-16-2005, 05:38 PM
nrichardz

mike I need pictures

Rick
Old 12-17-2005, 09:43 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Mike
Old 12-17-2005, 09:48 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
The photo may give you a better idea of how I now brace my crutch (I beg your pardon) system on the foamies, just a piece of depron tappered from one end to the other and cut a 45 deg on each side, glued on, can't spell cynoacralate.
the white bloom on the depron is where I wet the material first to make it stick quicker and weaker unfortunatly, but I'm very impatient.
Mike

Name:	Pn37819.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	371413  
Old 12-24-2005, 01:24 PM
nrichardz

Sorry mike haven't posted lately been working out of town and just got back last night so have not been able to fly that system looks good I used triangular balsa on my home built to get the same effect but I will try your system because I think it will be lighter am designing a new one and am in the process of getting things together to set up a hot wire foam cutter for it but came home to an awesome birthday present other half bought me an eflite mini stick neat plane going to fly it tomorrow she got me all the bells and whistles too eflite 480 brushless motor and 40 amp speed control and a 2100 3 cell lipoly will let you know how it does will be a day or two before I will be able to post tomorrow is christmas so have a happy holidays and I will post again soon

Rick
Old 12-30-2005, 10:07 AM
BaldEagel

Please tell me how you trained your wife, please. please. pleeeeeeeese
Mike
Old 12-31-2005, 12:29 AM
nrichardz

mike I found a good lady there really was no training we have been married 12 years and happy ones and she suppotts my hobbies because I really only have one I am a lucky guy now on to the plane I flew it the other day and it is beautiful with the setup I listed above unlimited vertical and plenty of power that 480 is nice figure this one out put it on the wattmeter to test pulls only 6 amps at 1/2 throttle and 22 amps at full throttle and when I maidened it only had to fly it at about 1/3 throttle and did every thing I wanted it to do tell me this motor is not efficient I only set it up as a 4 channel at this point but I can add two servos and set it up with quad flaps but the only info I can find on quad flaps is that you can slow your airspeed in a dive straight down please mike shed some light on this feature for me is it worth setting up the plane flies beautiful as it is I will post some pictures soon because it is a beautiful plane

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.