Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Fun with Flat Foam

Old 02-23-2006, 09:18 AM
AJ1202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun with Flat Foam

I would like to welcome anyone at any level that's interested in building and flying flat foam planes to join in.
I have recently taken an intrest in the flat foam approach and it seems there are endless possibilties
We can use this thread to cover any and all flat foam planes, variety that's the ticket
I am new to Flying all around at 2 years stick time but I love to build and experiment with designs
I want to invite anyone that has a flat foamy to post pics here and tell about it, how it flies and what power you used
If you have any free plans to share, this would be a good place to pass it on to another interested builder
I hope to see this thread grow as I know there are a lot of flyers out there that fly flat foam planes
I'm gonna get things started with the plane I recently built, It is called the Nasty and was a fun build, I am currently building a second one that I have made some mods and changes to the original design I'll post pics and the link for the Nasty that BTW was made availible to me by a freind that was trying to keep the fun moving forward. Thanks to GG
Welcome and lets have fun with it
Old 02-23-2006, 09:46 AM
AJ1202

Default RE: Fun with Flat Foam

Here is the link to the Nasty for those that might be interested
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=nasty

Here's a pic of my first build of the Nasty
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...46/Vt57930.jpg

I built this one out of heavy foam board and powered it with a 480 geared motor like in the PZ P-51, it weighed 23 oz AUW which is outragous for flat foam but once I worked out the details it would scream, no vertical hovering but it was fast, I am using FFF now so the next one should be around 12 oz AUW
Old 02-23-2006, 11:17 AM
five-string

Hey AJ! Thanks for starting this new thread. Hope it gets BIG!

How do you post thumbnails to this forum? I want to put my pics here but not full size.

I am seriously considering the 400XT motor on my Nasty. I re-read the thread for the Nastys and there were very good results with that motor and a 3s 1000mah with a 9X6 SF prop. Hover at less than half throttle. Then I can say, "Yeah, it's got a Hemi"!

I'll still start with the geared 350 to learn on. Which prop do you suggest?

I like the idea of spray paint and the stretchwrap idea for lines is excellent! No paint stuck to the tape that way!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:03 PM
AJ1202

String, I'm gonna start with a 10X4.5 prop and just play with it from there to find the one that performs the best
I think I'm going to stay away from the paint and just use markers and decals, maybe even look into some lite coverings
I already have my next build in mind, just have to draw it out and see if it will work, if it does it will turn some heads

EDIT: to post picks click on respond of this post or any last post(top right of post border) then when it opens new post box at the bottom of box it has a upload option, click that then it will open a brouse window, choose your pic and click open to load it to the brouse window, then click OK and it will load, now remember you have to click OK to close your post or they won't load, also you won't be able to see the post till after you hit OK to close it, to see them you would have to go back into the post
I hope this helps
Old 02-23-2006, 01:44 PM
five-string

Ok, let's see if I have this down...I guess you figured I wasn't flying today. Rain and breezes..[>:]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49590.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	414081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69563.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	414082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80283.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	414083  
Old 02-23-2006, 03:10 PM
five-string

AJ, when you say your next build, are you referring to a new Nasty or a whole new design with the FFF?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:10 PM
AJ1202

SSHHHH it's a secret A whole new design that to my knowledge has not been done yet or at least I havn't seen one
I'm not sure it can be done but I'm gonna work on some basic drawing designs and see if I can lay it out. With the FFF it should be possible but time will tell
Old 02-24-2006, 03:27 PM
five-string

Mounted the 400XT motor today and will put the ESC on tonight...pics later, we're off to Chuckie Cheese's [&o]
Old 02-24-2006, 04:00 PM
AJ1202

You put the 400T on the Nasty, whoa, that should be balistic, be carefull, remember a nose dive here could hurt
I plan on getting back to work on mine tonight, calling for rain all weekend so miht get it finnished and get started on new project, I pushed back the SO twin boom for this new one. details later Oh and it looks like it has been done, according to one post I read, but I still can't find any pics or anything from anyone showing one built or flying, so we will see
Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 PM
wildjaych

I CANT GET THE PLANS TO OPEN ON RCGROUPS.

CAN YOU REPOST HERE OR LET US KNOW IF YOU CHANGED THE SITE.

THANKS

SHOULD BE FUN TO START DOING THIS. IVE BEEN KICKING IT AROUND FOR A WHILE.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:22 PM
five-string

Welcome wildjaych!

I know they have been having issues with their server for several days. Here is the Adobe file for the plans. There is another build guide pdf file that is too large for me to upload due to my slow connection:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ig13148.pdf (85.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
five-string

I am sooo pschyed!! [X(] I just hooked up the 400XT up and ran it for the first time! Whoa. I believe the Nasty would have shot to the ceiling had I let go! A whole different world from my meager Cub or Commander. And such a sweet whirring sound compared to the brushed motors. Gotta get back to work now. I have servos to mount!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:13 AM
AJ1202

Welcome Wildjaych, yes it is a fun build and even though my first one weighed 23 oz it was so cool in the air and fast, no vert or hover but just shy of it, let me know if you can't get it to download and I'll post the PDF with the tiled file
I'll be posting pics of my modified version soon, I changed the wing config and build it like a stiffy to handle a 480 geared set up, I'll be using a 3S 1300 mah
Be sure to post your progress and maiden flight so we can share the fun

String,,, auwsome Dude, can't wait to hear about maiden, I guess you don't need the prop shafts quite as bad now
Old 02-25-2006, 09:51 AM
five-string

I now have everything except rudder hooked up. I need one more servo for that. I may try to maiden it today with the rudder taped straight. I only have nimh 8.4v 1050mah battery to try now so I'm sure it won't be near a hover state yet, but it feels very strong.

AJ, I would still like to get the gears for the motor as I will use it for my next build which will prob happen soon.

I have a picture of the motor mount I wanted you to see. This should afford a little more protection for the motor and it seems very rigid. I used a tiny piece of luaun plywood and traced the base of the motor mount on it and cut it out and glued it to the foam and the carbon fiber rod. I didn't paint the new foam piece yet so don't poke fun.

And guess what else!? I have flaps! I hooked right aileron to ch 1 on rx and left aileron on ch 5. Turned on flap mix on tx and now ailerons work opposite each other like normal till I turn the flap knob on the tx and both ailerons drop together. It is schweeet! I'm thinking I should have just a little flaps on maiden to increase lift.

Name:	Om33680.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	415253  
Old 02-25-2006, 07:28 PM
AJ1202

Holy cow, or is that cowl not a bad idea, I am curious to here how it does with the 4oo motor, what batt are you planning on using, I have a 3S 1300 coming for mine, finnaly going to try lipo, haven't made much progress on mine, got wing and tail on, servo for the wing and motor installed, working on all else now. Should be finnished tomorrow minus the detailing, its all baby blue still
Old 02-26-2006, 06:42 AM
five-string

I think the acrylic enamel paints do pretty well holding on to the foam but not to the tape. And, of course, enamel doesn't flex well, so all the hinge spots have begun cracking off the paint. I found a clear spray acrylic coating by Krylon that doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the foam.

Next plane I will paint and clear coat before assembly. The spray comes in gloss so it gives it a little shine too.

I made the landing gear for mine yesterday. I need to figure out a tail wheel yet. As it sits right now the bottom of the rudder is on the ground. Anyone ever tried a steerable tail wheel?

Name:	Vt58148.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	415847  
Old 02-26-2006, 04:58 PM
AJ1202

Finnaly finished the main build on the second Nasty, I just taped the ESC and RX till I fly it and see how it does, on this one I reconfigured the wig a bit and now it has 45" span, I also dropped 5 deg from 2/3 cord to TE of wing and also dropped overall pitch of wing by 1 deg, this created a tiny amount of polyhydrial from 2/3 cord back and made the flaps drop on the outside edge in nuetral position, I'm hoping this will make it able to glide just a little, I am not good enough to fly 3-D so this should work out good, If my calcs are right it should handle pretty smooth and yet be cabable of outragious manuvers. heres a couple pics.

Name:	Ec88917.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	416131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27926.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	416132  
Old 02-27-2006, 08:44 PM
ntjp2005

This is actually my 3rd build. The first two I built to learn, not to fly. So this is the first one I flew. I used a plan from 3dFoamy.com and changed it, to have a P-40 look. I had a servo problem on the 2nd flight and you see what I had left. Made it from fan fold so the loss was not much. I have been having a blast building since I found out about FFF. I have less than a year flying so I am not too skilled yet. Having FUN.

Name:	Jh15478.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	416987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64658.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	416988  
Old 02-28-2006, 05:23 AM
AJ1202

NTJP, man you hate to see the crashes, but the FFF makes for easy rebuilds. That was a fine looking build, I liked the way you made the changes to suit your taste, sweet. So lets see another one, and give us a flight report, the picture doesn't tell us what happened
Old 02-28-2006, 06:55 PM
five-string

NTJP,

That WAS one fine looking plane! I love the warbird look. I want to do one to look like a Corsair. Too bad about the crash. Look at it as a reason to dive into a brand new build.

Can you point me to the plans you used for this plane? I sure would like to build one of them.. BTW, how well did it fly? Like AJ said, we need details, man, details!!
Old 02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
ntjp2005

Thanks, I was proud of the build since it was my first true build from scratch. I crash a lot so NO real big loss, used to it. Not sure what happened. I did a preflight check on the first flight. Had some servo jitter. Thought I had it fixed. First flight was short had CG problem. Adjusted battery location. Did not do another preflight check???? Next flight plane took a hard left about 50 feet up. Could not recover and took a hard dive straight in. I used the Katana S from 3Dfoamy.com. I have already built a new Katana, and it flies good. Bought some landing gear to put on it today. I saved the changed for the P-40 plan as a Jpeg on my laptop along with all the sticker designs. I printed them on paper covered them with packing tape, then cut them out and used 3M77 spray to glue them on. worked great. The landing gear I special made. If you want to know I can explain.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 PM
five-string

Yes, I need to know..

What type landing gear? I am thinking about a steerable tailwheel for the Nasty, but haven't gone searching through my son's toys to see what I can come up with. I have 2" foam wheels on the front but the rudder actually drags on the ground. I used the landing gear plans from the Nasty build guide....cf about 8" long with 'music wires' about 1" long, bent to 45° then wrapped to the cf with thread, tacked with glue. Stuck the wheels on and dabbed hot glue on ends to keep tires on. Works well.

Love the homemade decal ideas. I am going to do that. I've been looking for the star and bar design in all the craft shops. My search is over. Thanks again.

Would it be possible for you to share the designs? I could pm my email address or maybe post them here?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

how would this plane perform w/ a rimfire22m-1000 w/ a 900 3s lipo
Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
ntjp2005

I am using a 22M-1000 brushless Rimfire motor with ElectriFly 1500mA 11.1 volt 3s lipo battery and 9 x 3.8 prop... And yes it screams, even with the plane being built heavy. If you will look close at the picture you will see the front wheels are not connected. I did this by running a 1/8" plywood strip 1" wide with holes drilled in it to lighten it. I then glued a 1" x 1" 1/8" piece of plywood with seperaters on each end. this left a slot for sliding the landing gear into on each side of the wing. I may not have explained this so good. May have to draw a picture. five-string I have seen a steerable landing wheel somewhere in the past week you can build yourself. I will try and find it again. Sure I will get you the plans. I give credit to 3Dfoamy because all I did was change the shape of the wing. The plan is a jpeg file. I handle it like a picture. I use photo express, most any phot program should work. I open the file and print it as a poster. The program marks each sheet where to cut so you can tape the plans together. Also you can print the plan at what ever scale you want. Neat.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
five-string

NTJP,

Sorry, I didn't explain well. What I wanted was the decal designs. I went to 3dfoamy and d/l'ed a bunch of plans tonight. Lots of good stuff there.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.