Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

By the way, how did your parachute thingy go?? Flown it yet?? Where did you get it... looks interesting!!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:57 AM
jaskel

umm..yeah its called laser surgery on my eyes...so unless im flying by sound..forget it
Old 06-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Mr Kamikaze

how was the indoor fly last night?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:54 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Yeah not bad!! Spent most of the night trimming and tuning the rubber powered Wright Flyer. Pretty much got it flying perfectly now, and at 200 turns it pretty much flys the length of the room and settles down nicely on the foor. The recommended turns are 350-450 so it will probably do twice the length of the hall. I'll have to try in on Sunday morning (Weather permitting)
Old 06-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Don't you set the rudder so it does large circles and elevator so it climbs slowly?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 AM
peril

Moving to Sydney in January, I'm going to have to expand my electric fleet (have to convert my older stuff to brussless) and I hope to meet some of you guys then. Flying in a group is always much more fun and I fear I will not be living close to a powered field. Building currently a modified GWS Zero, has tissue paper skin covering for added strength and Li-po/brushless combo. Flying I have two converted warbird FF foamies, abt 15"span each with brushed moter. Radio is less than 10g total from memory, thee channel arrow gear, tiny and works well.

I have to convert an older Great Planes Electro Streak to Brushless and have a CA12 Boomerang and a S&B Komet to build yet

Powered stuff includes a few GP Extra 300s for air racing and scale P40 (my baby)

Anyway, hope you don't mind if me and my son Andrew fly with you guys some time in January.

Steve.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Look at us. 5 of us online.

Hey Peril that'll be good to have another in the group. Looks like you've got a fair bit of experience. Depending on where you are in Sydney there are quite a few powered fields but currently we just turn up a terrorise local parks.

Now eveyone down on your knees and pray for a break in the weather for Sunday morning. (yeah good luck!)
Old 06-15-2007, 06:51 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

ORIGINAL: Mr Kamikaze

Don't you set the rudder so it does large circles and elevator so it climbs slowly?
That's the theory with rubber power, but this thing a quite a bit different to regular rubber powered models. You get about 10 seconds of run time at 200 turns compared to some that run for 60 seconds + and the model is quite heavy too being primarily plastic with 3 gearboxes turning metal shafts compared to balsa, tissue paper and dope. I'll bring it along on Sunday and give you a look!!

Hey Peril, welcome to our nightmare!! Too many planes and not enough quality flight time!!! Make sure you look us up when you get here...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Mr Kamikaze

Kellets Liverpool has one of these built ready to go 2nd hand complete with brushless outrunner, servos, esc and receiver for $80. Has crack across stabilizer but should be fine. Also doesn't have the spinner shown on this page and a few less stickers. But $80 is good as I know they sell the motors for $55. If I wasn't building the same series corsair at the minute I would have grabbed it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLHU5&P=M
Old 06-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Mr Kamikaze

RIGHT THEN!!! This Sunday! NEED TO FLY!!! SUNDAY 24/6/07 HAMMONDVILLE 8:00am!!! BE THERE!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Mr Kamikaze

HEY JOHN (AUSSIE TOYMAN)

Word on the street is that you are now the proud owner of a Katana Mini. Can you post pics and specs?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Aussie_Toyman

Yes, I bought MiniKatana's PA Katana Mini, though I'm not flying it till I get some practice on my Edge 540. That's if the wind/rain every stops.

[Edit] Looks like I'm heading to Hammondville on Sunday morning, just hope the weather is OK.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
MiniKatana

I hope you enjoy that bird as much as I did mate. Not sure if you had a chat with Antonio mate but his given me some great prices on the hopup parts for the Baja.
Btw I've upgraded the 23cc stock to a big bore 29cc [>:]

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...efore-bash.gif
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...ore-bash-2.gif
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...na60/jump1.gif
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...na60/jump4.gif

Cheers
Old 06-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Mr Kamikaze

I decided the Mini Pulse needed a pilot

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57027.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	709175  
Old 06-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Well 3 of us got out there and flew this morning. Had to wait about an hour for the showers to stop then we had a window of about an hour and a half with no rain and light wind. But it was a little chilly as you can see from Georges photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53572.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	709718  
Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Ok we needed to break the drought but... HANDS UP IF YOU'RE SICK OF THIS WEATHER!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

True,

the weather really sucks for flying right now, but I've been using the spare time to log a few hours on the G3.5 SIM and I just finished building the Great Planes Slinger. It cost only $98.00AU delivered from Modelflight in Adelaide, and included a speed 480 motor, two props and all the body was pre-covered and decals applied. Ordered it on Wednesday afternoon and it arrived at my door at 7.30am on the Thursday morning. That's why I keep buying from Modelflight!! I'll post my little product review and hopefully when the weather holds off a bit, I'll try to post a maiden flight report and video...

The Build

I was a bit worried when the box arrived because it was crushed on the edge right near the middle of the box, you can't really see it in the picture as I straightened it out, but luckily it was very well protected due to great packing and inner cardboad sections so all of the parts were undamaged and still sealed in their individual plastic bags.

There was a blurb on the box, something to the effect of... "Assemble it after lunch and fly for hours before dinner" ...and I believe it!! The total time taken to build this thing was about 1 hour!! A very simple build with both wing halves having the ailerons pre-attached and it all slots together with two super-strong and lightweight aluminium tubes. A strip if clear packing tape locks the two halves together with the new addition of a covered balsawood hand-launch/landing keel section that slots onto the aluminium tubes to complete the body section.

The instructions state that the two servos are secured in place by slotting them into the pre-cut recesses and taping over the top with clear packing tape. The servos I used were a tad smaller than the recesses on the Slinger, so I also used some hot glue to make sure they wouldn't work loose. Thanks for the tip Brett!! $7.00 for the glue-gun from Roni's...

The control horns are screwed into place and the pushrods connected after centering the servos. The pushrods are 2mm steel and very strong. I needed to add a Z-bend on the end of each and heated an off-cut on the gas cook-top to enlarge the hole on the servo arm. The other electronic components; motor, ESC & battery are contained together with the included adhesive velcro tape in a seperate tray-section which is also secured onto the body with clear packing tape.

The included speed 480 motor came pre-soldered with the two little brown doo-hickey thingys (That is the actual electronic name for these things...) that help reduce radio noise and interference. Another nice touch was that a Deans plug connector was pre-soldered to the motor wires to allow for easy connection. The other Deans plug for the ESC was in the parts bag. The final step was the wing tips and they needed the decals to be applied and were secured with two screws in each.

There were also two large decals for the bottom of the model which was predominately white in colour. This makes for a nice contrast fron the top section which was red, white and blue. It looks good, even if it does look very American!! I needed to add about 50 grams of nose weight as the 3S 1300 LiPo I'm using is about half the weight of the recommended NiMh flight pack. I absolutely hate adding weight to any model, and tried to solve it by moving the receiver and ESC forward too, but unfortunately the it was un-avoidable!!

I did have an issue with the ESC as it seemed to intermittently cut out like there was a loose connection. I think I've located a broken wire from the battery to the ESC and I'll cut and re-solder it later. If all that fails then I'll head out to Kellet's for a GWS ICS600Li brushed ESC which has LiPo cut-out and should give me a bit of head-room for the extra voltage. The ESC I'm using doesn't have the correct cut-out so I'm always a tad nervous flying brushed set-ups with LiPo's. If the motor does burn out, then that's the perfect time and reason to upgrade to a brushless setup!!

Flight report and video to follow...

Todd
Old 06-28-2007, 05:09 AM
jaskel

when i see those planes i think of disaster...lol

id like to see it go

whens the next flight?? ive been practising with my flatana
Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Aussie_Toyman

After all the trouble of trying to get the last Wing flying you buy another wing?

Someone is a sucker for punishment. Please promise me I'm not going to be there when you try to fly it, hehehe.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:40 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Yeah I know, I have a problem and I can't be stopped!! In all seriousness though, it was specifically because the other wing was such a piece of crap that I went ahead and bought this one!! I've been flying the Slinger a lot on the SIM and I'll be happy if the real one is anywhere close to the way the SIM version flies!! It was pretty cheap anyway and it's EPP so it should take quite a pounding... it'll certainly get one with me flying it!!

I can't even think about flying it if you're not there Jon, your crashes take the focus off mine!!!

Hey, how's the Boomarang going?? We'll have to organise a scale warbird day if this freaking rain ever stops!! We had a 4500 litre water tank installed early this week and it was full a day later!! That certainly give's you an idea of how much rain there's been lately and how little all of us have been flying lately too!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:41 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

...hey, that was pretty funny when I reversed the fins on the Phoenix wing!!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 AM
jaskel

yeah plenty of rain...i went to fly the other day and the flying field in glenmore was about 4 feet under water...no joke!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Mr Kamikaze

IT'S ON AGAIN!!! I HAD SO MUCH FUN FREEZING MY ASS OFF LAST WEEKEND HOW COULD I RESIST. WEATHER PERMITTING 8am HAMMONDVILLE SUNDAY 1/7/07.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...006398,0.01693
Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 AM
jaskel

well id love to come but 8am means id have to get up at 6am just to get there ..so bugger that...about time u guys came over my way
Old 06-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Mr Kamikaze

I'm up for that next time but I've made a few posts about this Sunday already

Also we'll be there for a coupe of hours so you could come later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.