Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Aussie_Toyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

By 8.30am the temp was at least 5DegC.... a heat wave, hehehe.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Anybody keen to hit the SIM today/tonight?? Might be the only chance we get because I'm not liking our chances guys, 25km/h winds with 45km/h gusts today, don't know what the forecast is for tomorrow... just not sure what time the wind picks up these days??
Old 06-30-2007, 02:17 AM
jaskel

my sim is playing up...throwing errors etc...i need to do some repairs before i get online...i so want to tho! I wanna fly my Jet Turbine Powered cessna..lol its an animal [:-]
Old 06-30-2007, 03:04 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Well it's still a bit windy but hopefully will be ok for early start at Hammondville
Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Well we got a 5 fliers at Hammondville this morning. Mr Kamikaze, Jacob, I love my ABC, Ricksta and Gluggy. Had a couple of hours before the wind got too strong to fly.
ABC Maidend his slinger and it flew very nice. He had his Stuka on hand as well but didn't fly it as he thought he had forgotten the battery. Upon packing up to go home he realised the battery was in it... DOH!!!
I had my Electric shock with new 25 amp speedy, but something was wrong and everytime I hit full throttle it cut out. I maidened the Corsair which flew for about a second, nose high stall, tip, cruuunch. I went to the Mini Pulse and bugger me it wouldnt arm the motor. Power was getting to the speedy but no further. I have no idea why. GRRRRRRRRRR Am I having fun yet!!! Luckily I put the Joker up a couple of times and had some fun with that. Very weird day.
Jacon flew his Wing and PC9. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet that thing is.
Unfortunately Gluggy and Ricksta came over from Richmond but they got there just as the wind hit, a very short fly of the Slow V with a cruched ending and a nice but heavily buffeted flight of the Boomerang
In the end we packed up and went to the local hobby store, Kelletts. We all escaped with walletts in tact.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90572.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	714491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27850.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	714492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20601.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	714493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25830.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	714494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96765.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	714495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54731.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	714496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94495.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	714497  
Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

The maiden is done and dusted!!

The Slinger absolutely flew like a dream, and very similar to the way it flies in the G3.5 SIM. Had dual rates set to 85% high and 40% low with 35% expo on the elevator. My only concern was that on high rates it was overly pitch sensitive and at one stage it seemed to totally go mental and loose all control in a tight loop, but quickly recovered when I cut the throttle and it took off again when the throttle was re-applied, so I just putted around for a while and got the feel of it and tested the glide rate which seemed to go forever!!! I brought it back in under power for a reasonably good cartwheel landing!! Being a spongey EPP foamy there was of course no damage!! The first flight was about 5 minutes total. I must have got lucky with the trims as it flew perfectly true without any adjustment.

I took it out again and flicked the elevator to low rates which really settled the pitch down and it flew a lot more controlably (Is there even such a word??) Loops were perfect and the aileron snap rolls were fast and positive. This time I did a few low passes at WOT and for a stock, brushed setup, this thing really motors along!! I'd almost forgotten how good a stock direct drive speed 480 motor can be!! I've been on the brushless bandwagon for a while now and I still am, but I've got so many speed 350, 400 and 480's laying around this place that I can affor to burn up a few in the Slinger.

All I need now is a good brushed ESC that has a proper LiPo cutout!! GWS make a good one caled the ICS600Li but I don't fancy paying $50.00 for a brushed ESC when I can get a brushless unit for $10.00 Think I'll just time it and used one of my old speedies but I'm always nervous using LiPo's with standard brushed ESC's!!

The Slinger setup is totally stock with a speed 480 motor spinning the stock direct drive 5x4.3 prop but I'm using 3S 20/30C 1300Mah flight packs, a HiTec 5 channel RX and an old Art-Tech 25amp ESC. I'm very happy with it and absolutely astounded at the flight performance with the stock setup. It's very fast building and flies like a dream. It's the first wing I've ever had success with as my first one was a real dog!!

I would recommend the Slinger to anyone!! Video to follow when Mr Kamikaze get around to it...

Todd
Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
jaskel

hey guys, whens the next meet up at ermington during the week?? i can now get away for a few hours...

im in canberra this thur/fri but any other time im keen as!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Here's how the Corsair ended up. Easy fix. I watched the vid of the launch a few times I think It was thrown at too high alpha angle and that combined with me holding in a bit of up elevator caused it to stall and the torque in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75504.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	715582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57641.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	715583  
Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Mr Kamikaze

I would recommend the Slinger to anyone!! Video to follow when Mr Kamikaze get around to it...
Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaQYTqDMCU
Old 07-04-2007, 07:24 AM
jaskel

seems underpowered with that motor... but glides ok.. looks weird in the sky..kinda like a stealth fighter
Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Yeah, I was pretty reserved on the very first flight, but I opened it up on the second, which wasn't video'd, and for a stock speed 400 it motors along!! Very quick snap-rolls too... and almost identical to the way it flies in the G3.5 SIM!!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

When RC Starts To Get Ridiculous

I was looking around my make-shift RC hangar the yesterday when I noticed that I've got a hell of a lot of planes and related RC gear now, and the worst part is that I rarely get to fly most of them anymore. This could be due to the recent change in the weather pattern with the constant rain and high winds we've had here in Sydney of late, or it could come down to something that my wife has been saying for a while now... I simply have too many planes, and it's time to cut some of them free, and sadly, I fear it's the later of the two!!

I'm a totally self-taught RC pilot and have picked up many tips and tricks from forum sites like this one. I've been doing this for over three years now, and I've probably learned more from group flying with guys like yourselves than from any other method, and whilst the progression has certainly been slower than many, I'd like to think that I've now reached the point where I am relatively certain that I can take out and fly any one of my planes with the expectation that it will return in one piece.

I've certainly had my fair share of crashes, but I feel that with this current arsenal of flight skills under my belt, it's now time to just get out there and fly for the fun of it. I know you never really stop learning, and as much as I love some of these planes, I think it's time to ditch the trainers in favour of keeping the more challenging flyers in the hangar. No more training is required so let's just fly!! It's time for a fire-sale so if you, or anybody you know is interested in picking up a good, cheap trainer, I'm willing to accept any reasonable offer for any or all of these planes and related RC gear.

I'll start by listing the entire contents of my current hangar of planes and other RC gear for sale, with and "X" next to anything I am letting go, a "K" for anything I think is a keeper and a "?" next to anything I'm not too sure about, but should probably offload anyway... Anything for sale is pre-loved and may have been crashed and repaired several times before. Everything is in a resonable condition and flies well even though it may look a little rough around the edges, after all, that's what trainers are for!! I can provide pictures if needed and will welcome inspections of anything I have for sale. I'm happy to flight-demonstrate any of these planes as well. Obviously no warranty is available. Take a look and if you want it, make a resonable offer and buy it!! That's how it works...

Hobbyzone Firebird Scout RTF(Stock)
2 Channel V-Tail Trainer with radio, wall charger and 4 flight packs X

Hobbyzone Aerobird Challenger RTF(Stock)
3 channel V-Tail Trainer with radio, charger and Kan flight pack & spare wing X

Art-Tech Cessna 182 (With the patented "Jaskel" approved brushless upgrade)
4 channel trainer with servos, 2408-21 outrunner, 18 Amp ESC, 8x4E APC prop, 6 channel Fiegao RX (36.070Mhz), spare wing and decals No flight pack!! ?

GWS Slow Stick (Brushless modified with twin servo aileron controls)
4 channel, 4 servos, 2410-09 outrunner, 18 amp ESC, 5 channel Blue Arrow RX, 10x4.7 GWS prop, No flight pack!! X

Great Planes Flatout Turmoil Profile Shocky (Stock)
4 channel, 3 servos, geared 370 motor, ESC (No LiPo Cutout!!), 5 channel Blue Arrow RX (36.070Mhz), 2 x 3S 620Mah LiPo flight packs!! ?

Multiplex Easy Glider Electric (Stock)
4 channel, 1.8 meter W/S, brushed geared 400 motor, 7 channel JR RX, ESC, 4 x servos K

GWS Pico Tiger Moth (Brushless upgrade)
3 channel, 2 servos, 6 channel GWS RX, brushless outrunner, 18 amp ESC, 2S 800Mah LiPo K

Parkzone Spitfire MKIIB RTF Scale Warbird(Stock)
3 channel, stock geared 480, TX, RX, NiMh, charger K

Great Planes Slinger Flying Wing (Stock)
EPS & EPP body, 2 x servos, 5 channel HiTec RX, direct drive speed 400 motor, ESC (No LiPo Cutout!!), 3S 1300Mah LiPo K

Wattage JU-87 Stuka Scale Warbird (Brushless upgrade)
4 channel, 4 x servos, 2410-09 outrunner, 10x4.5E APC prop, 18 Amp ESC, 5 channel HiTec RX, 3S 1550Mah LiPo flight pack K

Twister Medevac RTF Heli (Stock)
Stock RTF indoor heli K

Silverlit X-Twin 2-Pack EPP RTF foamies (Stock)
Twin pack of two RC EPP foamies K

Rubber Powered Wright Flyer (Stock)
Indoor scale flying model WF1 (Rubber Powered) K

Silverlit PicoZ EPP Indoor Heli (Stock)
Indoor RTF micro heli K

Art-Tech 3 channel TX & RX Units
Standard basic 3 channel radio system with TX & RX crystals on 40Mhz X

GWS 4 channel TX
4 channel basic radio TX unit with servo reversing. Blue in colour. (No battery!!) X

PM me if you are interested in any of these items. I live in Bass Hill, Sydney Australia. Pickup is prefered if possible, but I will post at your cost!! Any reasonable offers will be accepted.

Todd
Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Hey Todd that's quite a list. I was looking at it and noticing you have the Easy Glider. I have removed the power set up from my old wing and have set it up for slope soaring. I know the Easy Glider is powered but it's also a glider. Would you be interested in having a go at the slope some day. It's something I haven't done before but I'm keen to have a go.

Anyone else on here got something similar and interested?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:45 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Absolutely!! I'd be keen to get the Slinger out on the slopes too!! Even though it's powered too, you don't have to use the throttle. I've never sloped before either, but I think it would be somewhat of a bonus to have the option to use throttle too, just in case the plane gets too far away from you. Any ideas on a good slope venue?? I'm planning on giving it a go out at Kurnell tomorrow. Are you still keen??
Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 AM
jaskel

I reckon my front yard for good slope soaring the last few days..lol
Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Mr Kamikaze

I won't be able to make tomorrow. Family commitments.
I went and had a look at Mount Annan on Thursday a couple of guys were up there sloping. Looks great. It's about 20 mins from here near Narellan. We'll hook up some time and I'll show you. I agree with what you say about the power safety option if you have it. I was messing around on Real Flight today with the standard Slinger on the Buena Vista slope it goes good. Then I had a brainiac idea and and made a modded Slinger that matches the specs of my wing, I took the motor off, adjusted the weight and CG, did a backyard glide test with my real one then got the one I was building in the sim to glide the same. Then I went sim sloping for about an hour. Pretty cool.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:52 AM
jaskel

howd yall go out at the sand dunes today??

Hey i got G3.5 working online..so let me know the next fly
Old 07-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Aussie_Toyman

It was bloody windy........ but the Baja guys had lots of fun.

Pics on www.radicalhobbies.com.au some time tonight.

Mr K, what did you do to get edited? You a bad, bad person, hehehe.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Mr K, what did you do to get edited? You a bad, bad person, hehehe.
I have no idea.

Well today was my first go at slope soaring. I had the family with me and we went for an afternoon drive. I convinced them it was a nice spot. It's such a nice spot the wife and kids didn't mind at all. There were a few guys up there. 2 from the US Kittyhawk and a guy named Steve he is the local expert. The wind was a bit too light and even the experienced guys couldn't maintain lift. I'm not sure if it would have been better to start in stronger wind but considering where my plane ened up a couple of times I don't think so. Ummmmm about 60 metres to my right at first. Then right at the bottom of the hill, good exercise for Cally and Josh who voluntered to go get it. In a small tree about 30 metres to my right. And a few times actually pretty close to me. I was just launching and flying a single circuit and landing.
Steve offered to have a fly and make sure all was ok. It was good to watch someone with a lot of experience fly my wing. He did some really nice smooth circuits, adjusted the trims a little bit and gave it the thumbs up.
All in all it's very different to flying with power, with a powered plane giving up elevator the power pulls the plane up, with a glider too much up stalls the plane and makes for some ineteresting recoveries. I'll keep trying and I'm sure with more wind will be a lot of fun.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Anyone flying tomorrow Sunday 8/7???
Old 07-07-2007, 06:34 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

OK, just spoke to Mr K and seeing that nobody seems to be keen to get over to Ermington tomorrow, we've made an executive decision and we're meeting over at Hammondville again between 7.30-8.00am for an hour or two!! Anybody who's keen to fly please come and join us!!

The Google map is here...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...006398,0.01693

...so suck it up, grow some kahoonas and get out and fly!!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Flight Log Hammondville 08/07/2007

We managed to get out this morning and all things considered, we had a pretty successful morning in the air!! Myself, Mr K and Gravity Wins were all in attendance over at Hammondville this morning. Arrving at around 8.00am, we got in about an hour of solid flying as the weather held off until about 9.00am, and we were please to meet Gravity Wins, who made the journey over from the Blue Mountains (A big effort!!) with his recently converted brushless Ego Cessna 182. A few adjustments and he had a couple of successful test flights under the guidance of Mr K.

Throughout the morning I flew the Slinger and Spitfire quite successfully a few times each but unfortunately the Stuka had some type of un-determined motor/ESC issue and kept cutting out at anything higher than 1/4 throttle. Needless to say it never left the ground, but it still looked good!! I'll have a closer look at it over the next day or two!!

Sadly Mr K's TT Corsair had a stripped elevator servo so that one stayed on the ground too!! He enjoyed several flights on his EPP Joker and the ever reliable PA Electric Shock but the E-flight Mini Pulse was in the air constantly and some of the landings he pulled off into the stiff breeze were a sight to behold!!

Gravity Wins took a bit of video throughout the morning and I took a bit of him flying the Ego Cessna too. Here is a short compilation of the morning. Get a load of the wind blowing my antenna ribbon around just before I launched the Spitfire!!

Hammondville Fun-Fly 08-07-2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8dR_67wIc

It was yet another great morning of flight and we just got everything into the cars as the rain started to spit around 11.30am. It's so much better when you have a few guys to fly with. We'll hopefully be doing it again in the not to distant future so let's try to get a bigger turn-out than this one!! We will travel ANYWHERE to fly so no excuses next time... Just get out and fly!!

Todd
Old 07-08-2007, 03:16 AM
jaskel

as mentioned in the other thread...I must get out there one day...if yall free during the week let me know
Old 07-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Sadly Mr K's TT Corsair had a stripped elevator servo so that one stayed on the ground too!!
Further to the Corsair. I had an afternoon nap and woke all fired up to get the thing flying. I ripped out the bad servo and put a new one in. Scooted back down the park, all ready and zooom. She flew out about 20ft, and... torqued rolled in on the nose. SNAP!!! Big damage. I haven't looked yet to see how much work it needs. But I must ask a question. WHAT THE HELL HAVE I GOT TO DO TO GET A SCALE WARBIRD IN THE AIR!!! I can fly 3d ok. I can fly my sport aerobatic ok. But still no warbird. GRRRRRRRRR

BTW, Gravity Wins, the vids of the Cessa look really good. Keep it up and the Brio will come.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:25 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Brett,

Like I told you this morning, STOP TORTURING YOURSELF AND BUY A PARKZONE WARBIRD!!! IT'S SIMPLY STRESS FREE FLYING....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.