Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Homemade P51 Foamie Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Homemade P51 Foamie Build Thread

Here's a link you guys need to check out. The original printed foamie threads that I stole and adapted to my full fuse Mustang were found in the "kits" foamie forum. That thread should have been in the scratchbuilt foamie forum, and one of the authors has started part two now in the scratchbuilt area. The original had a good bit of traffic but kind'a went dead a few months back. With the creation of the new thread new life has been breathed into the project, and more printed builds have been added. Though the original had a lot of planes, some distinct voids were present. Just one example from the new thread....A P38! Yea, I'm doing that puppy sooner or later to show Alex how a scale P38 should look.

Part Two Thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724566

Old 08-10-2007, 09:24 AM
critterhunter

Yet more progress...

Rudder/elevator servo chambers melted out. Planning on HS55 for elevator, HXT500 for rudder (Does a HXT500 have less tork than a HS55? If it has more than a 55 then perhaps I'll use the 500s for the ailerons/elevator, and regulate my lowly 55s to rudder duty on my builds...Have to check). Deeper than needed but only because I'll be wrapping them in a little tape and using Gorilla Glue to make a custom tight chamber for them. Wanted them hidden under the tail so the linkages couldn't be seen. Think I'll be able to achieve COG with no problem and not run out of nose for the battery based on the last two builds.

Next is of the two HS55s for the ailerons under the belly as well. Again, deeper than needed but this is one of the spots the body lands on/near so I plan to cover them with a square of blue foam or a thin slice of EPP to protect them from bangs.

Next photo is of the bottom tail prints spray glued on and the ruddeer/elevator horns installed. I also stuck two bambo skewers through the rudder from tip to tip since I forget to put some flat carbon on it before spray gluing the prints on. Doh! again! Just the same, even the prints spray glued on make the thing plenty stiff, but bambo is always easy to stick through the foam from one end.

Last for now is of the 2409-12 motor screwed to some bent aluminum for a motor mount. This aluminum has obviously been used before and so it aint pretty, but the bugger gets hid under the nose cone and fuse prints so who's to know. I'll be melting out the sides/front of the fuse just a bit so the aluminum sits flush with the surface.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19167.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	739412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64361.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	739413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31098.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	739414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44947.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	739415  
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM
critterhunter

Work continues...

Wrapped the servos in electrical tape and then hot glued them into their compartments. I prefer Gorilla Glue for this but was impatient. Got the control linkages hitched up for the rudder/elevator, but those will need to come off when I spray the new fuse prints on. Alex shorted me with a short 12T replacement shaft so I'm going to have to bring the motor mount out on the nose a bit so the prop saver will clear the nose cone (cowl). Got to figure out a way to strengthen that gap now, perhaps just with some balsa or foam. You can see I melted the foam so the aluminum mount sits flush with the fuse foam. You can also see the nose cone has been hollowed out, complete with exit air hole on the bottom that the ESC motor wires will route under the belly nicely through.

I was planning on running an APC 9x4.5E on the 2409-12 motor to keep the speed down. Alex was over and I showed him a few windings on the motor I had concerns about. He didn't like them either and so did a quick re-wind of the motor for me (works every time ). It's been re-winded for a little less k/v and a bit higher torque at 1450 k/v with a "Y" termination. That should make it just about perfect for this bird, as an 2409-18 I feel would be a hair to slow for what I want on this Mustang at around 1000 to 1100 k/v, while the 2409-12 was somewhat too high of a k/v to fit the traits I wanted. Mainly, I want real good torque and decent speed...low enough to keep the Cell Foam 88 wing from overloading too much. Another benefit will be lower amp draw, or at least it should be.

Name:	Lj22604.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	741301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64748.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	741302   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27723.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	741303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43040.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	741304  
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 PM
calvino

dude, if only a carbon fiber tree existed, or a hot dog tree... don't you love all the things that you think of when you are little . Anything from the LHS is overpriced. should get some to have lying around in case I need it...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM
critterhunter

Here's the lastest pic of the Mustang...

Replaced the too short of shaft in the motor, rather than move the motor mount up like I was talking about doing. Melted out the component and wire channels in the belly. Reason why the aileron servos are deeper than need be is to protect them from landings. Will be placing some EPP foam over them flush with the belly surface. Today I spray on the prints, check COG, and melt the battery chamber. Might be done complete by tonight.

Name:	Hf98228.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	746375