Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Cessna182 Flyzone

Old 01-16-2007, 04:45 AM
feyzan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cessna182 Flyzone

Dear Friends,
I have just received my new electric Cessna 182. It flies great. Anyone tried to convert it to brushless-Lipo battery combination yet?
Any advise will highly be appreciated.

Thanks

Feyzan EREL
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Alliot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cessna182 Flyzone

yes! mine is powered by the himax 2025- 4200KV brushless motor swinging an APC 9x6" through himax 4.2:1 gearboxe. Thunder power 3cell- 2100mah is the pack I use with phoenix 25A ESC. This set up makes the skylane an agressive flyer!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How does she fly stock? My friend is getting one and want to know if its a good trainer or not. Would you recemend it to a complete beginer?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:40 AM
feyzanerel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks alot Alliot, I will try. Did you make any modification for the engine and battery compartment?

Feyzan
Old 01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Vossler002

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm looking into buying the Cessna 182 but it will be my first plane other than an AirHogs AeroAce. Is this a good trainer?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

does it have good power and what kind of flight times do you get with it stock?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Alliot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WASPS> The himax 2025 motor that swings the APC 9x6 " pulls 16.5 amps through 4.2:1 himax gearbox (6.2T) at full throttle. I use 11.1V 2100mah 15C lipo battery; the flight time is about 17 minutes with some throttle management. But, it's only 9 to 11 minutes if you abuse it a little bit. Anyway, if you use electric power, it is not good to use full throttle all the time because it may shorten the battery life. This set up meets my expectations from this plane. Of course, you can fly it with the stock set up, but it's too marginal. Besides that, I don't recommend this plane for a beginner because it is a scale. Tell your buddy to learn to fly with the mutliplex easy star.

Feyzan> I attach an E-flite stick mount into the firewall and then slide the gearbox with the motor into the stick mount. You can use a glue or screw to secure it. You have to file each side of the battery compartment a little bit so that you can put any rectangular shape-3 cell lipo pack in it. Also, I've just converted my plane into a tail dragger because the two pieces of plastic that secure the nose wheel are very weak. I will try to post a picture next time.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 PM
goldenboymd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got one flown it a few times Winter here and all. I love it flys great easy to handle and smoooth Not really a begginer plane but with a buddy box you could learn easy enough. Everything in the box and room to grow with it as well. I think it's worth the money
Old 02-01-2007, 08:49 AM
highflyer65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horrizon Hobby has there 182 Cessna ARF for 69.99 and they throw in a Park 400 outrunner motor {920kv} which sells for 60.00 FREE.This has to be one of the best deals around.I could not pass up this deal.Has anyone here flown the Eflite 182 ? This should be a real good combination, should have plenty of power for aerobatics.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Alliot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the E-flite Cessna 182. I flew mine with the Hobby Lobby 400 XT outrunner, which is almost the same as the E-flite 400 outrunner. It flies great, but it will fly better with any 400 size inrunner brushless motor, which is similar to the one I use for my Flyzone Cessna 182.

I fly both planes with the same prop and I feel the difference in power and efficiency. Actually, the power makes the difference, but not the airplane. Both motors pull the amount amperes at full blast, but the inrunner with the gearboxe outruns the outrunner in term of thrust. A lot of folks in this forum prefere to use outrunner to inner brushless motors because there is no need for gearboxe. But, a gearboxe makes a powerplant more efficient if one knows the prop and gear ratio combination.

My complaint about the E-flite Cessna 182 is the airframe, which is very weak compared to the Flyzone Cessna. The battery cover is also very flimsy. It seems that the fuselage is made of foam, which is not durable. It is similar to the one that farmers use for meat packing. That's why, Horizon Hobby sells this plane with the E-flite 400 outrunner for $69.99. About durability, I vote for the cessna 182 by flyzone.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Pa-18cub150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got a flyzone Cessna 182 yesterday and assembled it last night. This is my first electric plane.

With no wind I had to brave temps in the low teens to first flight it . It seemed that it didn’t have a lot of power to spear. Both hand launches hit the ground before struggling into the air. Is there enough power to take off from the ground?

Are there any upgrades or hop ups that are plug play? I am a little behind the learning curve and a little confused about motor size, electronic speed controls and batteries. Can the motor be up graded with out changing the electronic speed control?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Alliot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Until now, I have seen only Ready To Fly versions. If you feel that the stock motor is not strong enough and you don't want to spend more money on this plane , replace the stock 380 motor with the Graupner Speed 400 6V motor or 400 BB without changing the ESC. Besides that, replace the stock Nimh battery pack with any 2-cell lithium battery that has a capacity between 1300mah and 2200mah. You can get one them from hobby-lobby.com.

If you are really addicted to power, you can try my set up that I've already posted in this thread in reply to Feyzan.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM
flipkade11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Need some help! I have the Hobbico Flyzone Cessna 182 select scale. I broke the nose gear and now have a replacement. I think I am going to have to cut in the foam to remove the old one. How do I do it and what glue from Home Depot should I use. I am as green as they come but pretty crafty. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM
HANGTIME II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im not sure what the steps are to replace the gear on that plane but one glue Ive used on my foam spitfire MK IX is 5 min epoxi. Sets up strong and quick, does'nt effect the foam. Not the lightest glue in the world so if thats a concern then best to get the proper glue made for ZFoam. Slow CA works well too.

Cheers

Search this Thread