Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

How to start flying a foamy 3D Newbie!

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

How to start flying a foamy 3D Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:39 PM
darticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to start flying a foamy 3D Newbie!

Just got a Yak 55 3D plane. Want to try to fly but new to flying. Whats the best way to start flying? I'am flying on my real flight simulator. Does a simulator help?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Default RE: How to start flying a foamy 3D Newbie!

Yes it does help a lot. Make sure that you are flying a 3d foamy in the sim. Also make sure you can not only fly, but do alot of aerobatics and do them well. Then if you are confident go out to a wide open area with no wind and let her fly, but with the throws set to minimal. Make sure that you are easy on the controls!!! YOU MUST BE EASY ON THE CONTROLS because with one of these foamies one small movement of the controls and it will be upsidedown before you know it. Stay up high and when you come in for a landing well...... I haven't figured out how to explain that because it gets more complicated for a foamy, but if has landing gear make sure to land on the wheels with the power cut. I am not good at explaining the flight process, but I hope that this gives you a good start.

Kevin
Old 04-11-2007, 03:12 AM
hauts

Try these things on the simulator:

- set up some wind and learn to keep the plane upwind of yourself

- set the trims on the controller wrong, and then correct them while keeping the plane safely up in air

- set the control throws to more sensitive, up to the point where you really have to keep your finger movements to the minimum.

- if Realflight allows it, set the plane's center of gravity wrong. Try both forward and backward.

These exercises will help a lot, you'll learn to not panic in unexpected situations, and if your model doesn't fly right, you'll likely know right away how to fix it.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:56 AM
JohnyQuist

download the realflight 3.5 model of the challenger bi plane from www.2dogrc.com I have both planes the challanger and the yak-byp and the challanger model is pretty good, I don't like any of the stock foam models that come with the sim.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:06 AM
darticus

Sorry I didn't see the downloads.Can you point to them.Ron
Old 04-22-2007, 11:51 PM
sputnikxxx

If you have never flown before go, get yourself a slowstick, and put the yak away,..... not trying to be rude, not trying to say you cant do it... but sometimes its not as easy as it looks at first, just tryin to save you the headache of crashing, once you can fly the slowstick in 5 mph winds with your eyes closed then your ready for some aerobatic stuff
Old 04-24-2007, 01:42 AM
JohnyQuist

http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catal...s-c-90_94.html
thats the link to the challanger page which has the model.
When your ready buy a CR1 from www.chargerrc.com 400 out runner 3S 1340 lipo. This is the best foamy out there. - Jim ps buy two
ORIGINAL: darticus

Sorry I didn't see the downloads.Can you point to them.Ron
Old 04-29-2007, 02:44 PM
mrlikescheese

I want to start flying foamies too. I have Real Flight G2 and there arent any foamies on it. Do any of the Add-ons have foamies on them?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
darticus

I want to fly them also but I bought and built 2 that are too aerobatic to start with. One is an Yak 55 and one a Slick slo fly. I should have purchased a trainer of foam thats a slow flyer.I'm still looking for one. I bought a cheap Firebird Phantom for 59.00 RTF complete with radio but tooo fast to start with. I really need a slow flyer trainer. That is crash proof as I like trees!
Check these out
http://www.slofly.com/cart/
http://www.gregcovey.com/slow.htm
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1100.html
Old 04-29-2007, 05:19 PM
tekajo

I am not sure what kind of radio, charger, or batteries you have. A good place to start is with a magpie http://www.mountainmodels.com/index....a9ba111bcd3ce7. Buy it with both wings. Learn without the ailerons then go for the ailerons. I have the plane for my son with a cheap chinese bp 21 brushless. Plane flys great and can take some abuse. I would buy your lipos, motors, and speed control at united hobby online. Go with 1000 3s lipo. Use it for your both your magpie and 3D. I think it would be awful hard to learn with a 3D plane
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM
balsa breaker

If your cheap like me this is what i do. Buy a flat out like youv'e got. Then get some fan fold foam, trace out the plane you bought. put it together, and crash it till you can fly it. takes about an hour to build another. All in all it's kind of like buying insurance. Another plus is I still have 3 brand new flat outs in the box ready to go.

Just wanted to share a way to stretch your $