Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

ParkZone Typhoon 2 3D

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
healthyfatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ParkZone Typhoon 2 3D

Don't know if any of you noticed but parkzone has a new version of the typhoon coming out.
http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdID=PKZ4300

Looks pretty interesting and comes with a LiPo instead of a NiMH. Looks to be interesting.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
edberg

Default RE: ParkZone Typhoon 2 3D

Too bad they use smaller 1800mah then the 2100mah lipos that parkzone already uses for their stryker and such. Servos still suck I think. I like the SFG's though, but that seems to be the only difference, if I wanted them I would just buy typhoon2 wings and put them on my current typhoon, there dosent seem to be any other difference in the airframe.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:04 PM
r1derbike

Reusable ZX10 72MHz radio system including digital, metal gear 3-wire servos for precise control and fast response.
This is a quote direct from Horizon's website. They have indeed upgraded the crummy servos that were a pathetic after thought on the original Typhoon 3D. Keywords being "digital" and "metal gear".

The 1800 mah lipo should be good for 10-15 minutes of just scooter-poopin' around, and maybe 8 to 10 minutes of 3D mix, and save weight over the 2100 mah lipos, which I run in the original Typhoon 3D. Much better than the pathetic NiMH that came stock, with the old one.

They've addressed at least three major concerns with the new Typhoon 3D, and looks like the so-called SFGs may make the 'phoon knife edge better, even if they do look dorky.

I'd call this iteration a MAJOR upgrade from the original 'phoon, and as soon as I trash my 2nd 'phoon with low 3D flight, I'll get a PNP version!

Charles

Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 PM
holyschmoley

So I got my new Typhoon 2 today. I just got it all put together and the p.o.s. doesn't work right. The elevator servo is shot. It's pointing all the way forward and only turns with force which sounds like is breaking the little gears inside. All other controls work properly. The controls are set properly on the transmitter. I'm kind of pissed. The elevator gyro doesn't respond at all. I'll contact my hobby shop but I suppose will now have to deal with digging that gyro out, send it to parkzone, wait for a new one and try and jam that thing back in there with the leads and all screwing up the way it looks a bit.

I'd prefer to just return the whole thing to my lhs and get a new one, although I doubt they'll do that.

Just venting unless someone else has some suggestions.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
holyschmoley

So i took the plane to my lhs. The servo was shot. They wouldn't replace the whole plane. Parkzone has no servos available yet but offered me a better one to replace it. I got it two days after talking to them. I got the plane all together and it flies great. It's really easy to fly.

The servo deal was a pain in the arse, though. The lead on the new one was too short, so I had to do some cutting and splicing and then feed that little bugger back into where the receiver is. The servo is a little smaller than the stock one, so I had to do some finagling to get it to fit in there and then tape it in. It's not what one hopes for when getting a new plane. It does fly well, though.

One thing I thought odd was that it comes with an extra propeller to use with an 2100 mah battery like the stryker uses (which I have). The odd thing I thought is that the stock typhoon 1800 mah battery is exactly the same size as the 2100 mah. Usually w/ mah the battery gets bigger. I've got a 4000 mah battery that is sorta huge. Anyway, that's it. This seems to be a dead thread anyway.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 PM
friedclutch

I'll jump in a little here. My bro and I are avid gas (glow) pilots. He got the typhoon when it first came out.. He went big and got the PNP and installed his own rx and lipo. Since then we've both been hooked on electric flight. I must say how underrated this plane is. The first ones did strip out servos. Other than that.... I dont see many posts about how well this plane really does fly. The first time I flew his phoon I did snap rolls in the first 10 seconds I had it in the air and was amazed at how responsive and EASY this plane is to fly. You can just put around.. do pattern.. Or get crazy with some entertaining 3D. It does look a little wierd but the flight chartacteristics are litteraly outstanding. All that, and I dont even own one. I got the stryker C.. then a flyzone cessna 182 (4ch) The stryker is an outstanding plane too btw..... The cessna I just got and maidened this weekend with three good flights. (the trojan is still not shipping yet and I had to buy somthing more lazy park friendly) Anyways.. maybe is has been said before. At least for a moderately experienced glow pilot and beginner heli guy.

BTW.. I'd be pi$$ed about the servo too. Just dropped the cash and it's BROKE? A good hobby shop would've just exchanged the whole thing assuming you did not even fly it.

Robert
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 AM
r1derbike

The plane does have a wide envelope, but does suffer from typical foam airframe problems. The knifeedge coupling is atrocious, the wings loosen very quickly, as foam does compress, and the wing tab retainers are glued-in with what seems like flour-n-water.

Double-sided sticky foam tape will keep them in place, provided the tabs are prechecked for tightness and reglued as necessary.

Where hinge material is pre-sliced (from the factory), the hinge pivots will fail quickly with extreme 3D and full-throttle maneuvers. Quickly meaning 50 or so flights, in my case.

The gearbox will fail if a prop is "grounded", but that is expected as it's so cheap.

I've had 3 of them, 4th is in a box at home, as I'm at Oshkosh for AirVenture 2007 as I type this, but will put it together when I get back. My present 'phoon is flying funky as I've repaired it many times.

Check radios (RTF version) closely, I had one bad. I now fly XPS 2.4 ghz modules in all my airplanes with my old computer Futaba radios.

Even with its drawbacks, it is the most bang-for-the-buck RTF airplane I have found. That's why I'm on my 4th one. Just check EVERYTHING before you fly, as these imports are mass produced in China, with all the typical assembly problems ARFs or RTFs have from there.

Charles
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 PM
jallenthompson

I would appreciate some help with some questions I have with the PNP version for anyone who knows. This is my first Electric and I am a fairly new pilot so some of these questions might be a bit basic.

1) I recieved the plan and tried to set this up an on a 6 channel JR Rx for a JR SX600 Tx. For the ailerons, I used Flaperon programming on the JR radio which requires the the ailerons plug into the Ail and Channel 6. This seems to work but the neutral position on the servos is most of the way towards the back of the plane instead of straight down. Will a Y harness correct this?

2) The instructions elude to a on/off switch on the plane itself. Does the PNP come with one? (I feel a little dumb asking this one)

3) I am using a LIpo 2100 mah battery, do I need to change any of the default ESC programming settings?

Thanks in advance for any Advice.

"whatever is made by man can be fixed by man"
Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 AM
tkris

ORIGINAL: jallenthompson

I would appreciate some help with some questions I have with the PNP version for anyone who knows. This is my first Electric and I am a fairly new pilot so some of these questions might be a bit basic.

1) I recieved the plan and tried to set this up an on a 6 channel JR Rx for a JR SX600 Tx. For the ailerons, I used Flaperon programming on the JR radio which requires the the ailerons plug into the Ail and Channel 6. This seems to work but the neutral position on the servos is most of the way towards the back of the plane instead of straight down. Will a Y harness correct this?

2) The instructions elude to a on/off switch on the plane itself. Does the PNP come with one? (I feel a little dumb asking this one)

3) I am using a LIpo 2100 mah battery, do I need to change any of the default ESC programming settings?

Thanks in advance for any Advice.

"whatever is made by man can be fixed by man"
1:
Not sure on the servos.. I'm using spektrum ar6100 receiver with a DX7 and didn't have any issues with the servo's centering.. maybe they were put in with the servo horns out of whack.. a little servo tester would answer that.. another thought, any chance you have subtrim programmed in the tx?
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=796

2:
I definitely don't have a switch on my PNP typhoon..

3:
I also run 2100 MAH batteries.. I don't think most ESC's have settings that should care much if you're running 2100 vs. 1800 (or whatever they spec). On my castle creations ESC's, the only settings have to do with the low voltage cutoff and if the cutoff is a hard cutoff (lost all motor power) or soft (motor slows to the point the voltage is just above the cutoff)

Hope that helps.. The typhoon is a blast to fly. I run it with lots of exponential on low rates, and about half as much exponential on high rates.. it flips around like a dream on high rates, and then calms way down for the landing on low rates..

Good luck

--Kris
Old 04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
cyanide1973

Tkris, could you post you setting on how you programed the dx7. I planing on running the same set up and have only programed it for helis.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 PM
tkris

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.. Here's what I have, your mileage may vary...

In the system mode (where you name the model) I changed these:
Flap:system
flap trim: ACT
[wing type] Flaperon: on

In the program mode, I have these settings
[reverse sw]
Channel 2 and 6 reversed (aileron and second aileron), the rest are norm
[Flap sys] (this is the flight mode switch)
Switch position Flap Elev
Norm 0 up 50 (a little up elevator for takeoff)
Mid (idle up 1) 0 0
Land (idle up 2) dn 85% up 100 (flaps down, and up elevator for landing.. without the up elevator the flaps down causes the nose to dip)

[differential]
flaperon 0%

No mixes

[Dual Rate & Exponential]
Low rates:
Aileron 40% exp, 75% travel
Elevator 40% exp, 75% travel
Rudder 50% exp, 50% travel
High rates
Aileron 50% exp, 125% travel
Elevator 50% exp, 125% travel
Rudder 50% exp, 100% travel

I think that's about it.. It rolls on axis *fast* with the 125% travel on the ailerons, and flips more than loops with the elevator, but it's really twitchy. I put it into high rates just before doing stunts and take it back out as soon as I'm done showboating.. That makes the rest of the flight look smooooth

I'm also still experimenting with the "land" mode, you might want to start with a lower number for the flaps, I think mine still dips the nose a bit more than I would like..

Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
mrjerry42

I want to use the spektrum DX6i /AR6200 in my parkzone typhoon2 3D airplane. Can someone give me tips and program settings for the plane? Would like program settings that will be close to the stock parkzone transmitter settings that come with the plane. Include Hi and LO settings. This will be the first flight with the DX6i and not sure what the correct settings should be for a successful maiden flight. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Suddenstop

I will start by saying I am new to flying (about a year) I just bought a typhoon 2. I up graded to the lipo battery packs. First flight out of the box the motor seized up, smoked bad, I managed to land without damage. I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem? I am very dissappointed to say the least. Any advice would be great.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 AM
chevypower1930

Hey everyone!!
My AMAZING girlfriend just ordered me a Typhoon 2 3D last week for our six months! Yup, she is AMAZING! But back to the plane.... this will be my first 3D PLANE every, I've been looking forward to a 3d plane for a long time, I now fly a Brushless Stryker F27C, Goldberg Eaglet, a Nexstar, an Ace Piper, A P-40 Warbird, and a Slo-V, so Yeah.. its time for a 3d plane, and I am VERY precise on the FsOne Simulator. everybody wish me luck on my maiden! I will get some pictures and videos up when I get the plane HOPEFULLY today!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM
mpflyer

I purchased a parkzone typhoon 2 3D from Hobby Town and assembled it which was a fairly quick process. When I connected the battery, the receiver popped and smoke poured out from the ESC. I took it back to Hobby Town and received a replacement typhoon 2 3D. When I connected the battery on the second plane I got the same behavior as before. Hobby Town said that I need to contact Horizon on Monday and see what they can do. Right now I am extremely frustrated with the typhoon 2 3D. Has anyone else out there been having problems with this plane's receiver popping and ESC frying? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
chevypower1930

damn man... that sucks, I didn't get the RTF plane so I wouldn't know about the receiver but the ESC on mine is absolutely perfect.. never had a problem.. heres some video of me flyin the typhoon. its a great plane once ya get yours going.. Horizons got great customer service they'll take care of you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XpM...e=channel_page
Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Chevypower,

What kind of motor are you using?
I replaced the geared driven motor with an E-flite 480 outrunner and I like it much better.
I have never been able to hover as well as you do. Any special hints?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:15 PM
chevypower1930

Its just the stock motor man... with the 3D PROP! do not use the speed (smaller) prop for 3d.. it just won't do it I can't even hover for 2 seconds with the small prop...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM
jmir

I'm surprised..... it does not sound like the stock motor/prop.
I can hover my E-flite Eratix, but not much luck with my Typhoon. Even in stock form.
Perhaps I don't have it properly balanced....... or I just need lots more practice.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM
chevypower1930

haha maybe... this was my first 3d airplane.. I guess I picked it up pretty quick, I broke my 3d prop waitin on a new one haha i hate flyin it with the speed prop just not supposed to be flown like that
Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
jmir

Well, I did a lot of experimenting this afternoon. I added weight on the tail, I changed the exponential and travel distance on controls several times, I added flaperon control and tried different settings.

I can now hover for about 10 seconds and then I loose control when landing gear faces me (everything is then backwards) unless I can keep the torque roll going. Much better harriers, especially inverted.

It was a lot of fun trying different things. I think adding the weight resulted in the most improvement.

Thanks for motivating me to try different things.

I started flying when I was 65 years old (three years ago), so the thumbs are not as responsive on this end!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM
chevypower1930

haha yea man.. I have my rates ALL THE WAY UP... like until the servo can't push it anymore.. I think that helps on 3d just VERY touchy when flying normal
Old 04-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Snoopyxupery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MUwUZnLMnQ
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Hobie

Great flying ! I wish I could hover mine . I crashed mine bad last year and had to order a bunch of parts to get it flying again . I ordered 2 of what they listed as aerobatic props and they are the 12 inch prop . In the TY parts listing I don't see the bigger 3D prop you are using . Do you have the part # for that prop ? I had that prop last year that I ordered off the TY parts page on Horizon Hobby and I would like to get another one .
Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 AM
chevypower1930

Hey hobie,
I had the EXACT SAME problem! I actually one time called the online store I was ordering from and they said yes it says 13.5 inch on the prop.. I got it AND..... TWELVE INCH! I did that about 4 times.. then I went on EBAY and got the Parkzone 3d prop... go on ebay and just make sure it's the 3d prop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.