Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Add motor to old Zagi glider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Junktim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add motor to old Zagi glider?

I have an old Zagi glider that has been sitting in the garage for probably 5 or 6 years. I bought it from somebody who built it for me. Unfortunately, as a ridge soarer I rarely flew it since it was such a hassle to drive out somewhere where there was ridgle lift and enough space for me to fly. Thus it ended up in the garage, forgotten, for years.

Does anybody make a conversion kit or something so that I could easily add a motor to this? I am pretty new to RC stuff, so I don't want to have to do anything too fancy or complicated. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that adding a motor and all that weight is going to be complicated regardless. Perhaps a conversion kit would have instructions on how to do it, though.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Gulliver

Default RE: Add motor to old Zagi glider?

Ssome of these Zagi links might be of help:

http://www.clubzagi.com/

http://www.yourzagi.co

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/zagithl/zagithl.htm#Tow%20Hook%20(John%20Gallagher)

http://www.zagi.com/
Old 05-14-2007, 07:42 PM
tam popo

Hi there - its not difficult! You will need: brushless motor (outrunner type best, Tower Pro, Axi, Hyperion etc), esc to match (15A-30A), battery plus charger (go for lipo preferably). Nimh OK but to make sure this thing flys got to be Lipo! Correct prop to match output of motor/battery, esc combination. I cannot/will not tell you which combo to use - that depends on finance, research, performance wanted etc. What i will say is find a good local hobby shop (LHS) who will give good and free advice (if they can't, don't deal with them). There's lots of info on combinations here on RCU, just ask!! If i was doing it I could put Mr Zagi in the air for £100 ($200 dollar???) - thats motor, esc, Lipo, charger, prop, connectors, glue/balsa. You'd have to make a base to mount this lot on and a canopy (scan Zagi w/site). Hope this helps, but I know somebody/everybody/anybody will disagree with this - who cares. Keep us posted
Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Junktim

Cool, thanks for the positive feedback. There is a hobby shop near work that I just went to for some wire to break-in my new heli motor. While there I asked the counter guy if he thought it possible to add a motor to my old Zagi. He didn't think it was, but I wasn't impressed by him or his shop.

This weekend I'll stop by the shop near my house where I buy all my heli parts. They seem to know what they're doing, so hopefully I'll find someone that can help me out.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:01 PM
gt5500

The easisest way to mount a motor is to cut a channel in the bottom of the wing up the centre from the trailing edge, then stick a 10mm stick into the channel you can then use a gws stick mount and a cheap outrunner.