Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Typhoon 3D vs. Stryker C

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM
healthyfatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typhoon 3D vs. Stryker C

I'm graduating from college and have the choice between the two. I originally wanted the Typhoon since it's 4-channels, has landing gear, and closer to a real plane without going to wood. I plan on sticking a CVS camera or eDVR camera on there for videos and possibly an Aiptek for stills. I wanted to know which of the two would be better for taking shots.
Also, if you have opinions on which would be better to get, that would be great. I know the Stryker C goes quite fast and I am wondering if I will have any problems slowing it down for a landing. I also heard I have to go to an AMA site to fly the thing. Anyway, any options would be great.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Typhoon 3D vs. Stryker C

I own both the Typhoon and the Stryker 27C. I fly both of them at a small field near my home, so there is no need to fly on an AMA field.

The Stryker can be flown slow if desired and it glides in for landing very nicely. I can land it withing a few feet from me every time without any problems. I just let it glide in slowly with the motor off.

I have not tried cameras on these two planes, but I would probably choose the Typhoon for that purpose. I did put a wireless video camera on a Cessna 182 but was not satisfied with the quality of the videos and got boring after the first couple of videos -- they ended up looking about the same as previous ones.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:51 PM
friedclutch

Hi,

I have a stryker C and have put a CVS camcorder on it. I love the stryker C and It is easy to land. It glides in really slow. Almost glides too good and I over shoot the landing often. A friend has the typhoon. I've flown it quite a few times. Alot of fun. Both are great planes. I can say that the STryker C is a pusher so no prop in the way of video or photos. Other than that you will not be dissapointed in either plane. I'm assuming you have flight exp. though.....
Old 06-16-2007, 07:40 PM
EpoweredRC

I own a typhoon and have never been so disapointed in a plane, if you slow it down it will stall right into the grond nose first, I am a expert pilot and this plane just sucks, i am trying to change out radio gear to get it better but dont know if it help or not
Old 06-17-2007, 03:48 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Night_prowler26

I own a typhoon and have never been so disapointed in a plane, if you slow it down it will stall right into the grond nose first, I am a expert pilot and this plane just sucks, i am trying to change out radio gear to get it better but dont know if it help or not

I had the same problem with my Typhoon until I learned how to control it better for landing. I just let it glide in with throttle off until I get about 5 feet off the ground. I then give it a little power to level it off and let it just glide in slowly with a slight flair up just before it hits the ground. Perfect landings all the time, except when it its too windy.... then.... who knows???

Old 06-17-2007, 08:20 PM
friedclutch

The typhoon flys on prop wash, Not air speed at slow speeds. You cannot shut the motor down while landing or it will do this. If you are experiencing abnormal nosein I would check the balance of the plane. It really is one of the best flying planes I've flown.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:45 PM
BubbleGum

Hi All, First post at RCUniverse.

I own both the Typhoon 3D (5 months) and the Stryker C (4 days) . They are not comparable IMO because they are two completely different airplanes. I joined this forum because I heard it had a lot of Stryker info and I am having trouble controlling mine at low speed.

I consider myself an 'Advanced Beginner'. Been flying RC planes for six months. My first 'plane' was the StormLauncher my brother bought me for Christmas. Flew it to death (literally). Then bought 2 more SL's and flew them to death.

I got the Typhoon as a next step trainer. I never had any trouble with stalls on landing as other posters have. On the other hand, I can't land the Styker to save my life and I see other posters find it easy to land. So I am really confused.

To land the Typhoon, simply line it up with the run way from about 100 yards out at about 40 feet height and 1/3 throttle. Switch the tx to low throw mode. Drop alt slowly, cut throttle just before the start of the runway, and let it glide in. The worst that happens is it 'belly flops' which only bends the landing gear.

With the Stryker, I lose contol of it (becomes unresponsive) just slowing down to land. My current theory is that I have set the throws to low. I started flying the Typhoon with low throws because I was a 'new beginner' and that worked out well. I am running the stryker with low throws for the same reason.

Perhaps I answered my own question [sm=confused.gif] ? Just increase the throws, fly the plane in low throw mode, switch to high throw mode to land? Opposite of the Typhoon.

Any replies apreciated.

~Bub

Old 06-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Fisher

They are definitely two totally different planes. If you are having trouble landing the Stryker something is seriously wrong. Line it up, shut down the engine and let it glide in for a gentle landing. If the wind is not blowing you should never have a bad landing with a Stryker. Keep the nose level or down slightly to maintain speed until you are about to touch down then just keep it level. Do not flare or it will stall. Double check the CG. You definitely do not need high rates on just to land.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 PM
BubbleGum

Thanks Fisher. I find the Stryker a lot of fun to fly. Haven't had a chance to fly since I posted. CG is about half inch forward of stock. That wasn't my doing, it just came that way. But now that I have the 'opportunity' to rebuild it, I can move the CG back a bit.

It's a weird feeling with this sport. Your out there flying your bird having a great time. Immelmans, dives, rolls, go ballist, etc. and no problems and no worries, until it comes time to land. Then the palms get sweaty.

~Bub
Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Fisher

Ya. Take-offs and landings are where 90% of the damage occures. Something about proximity to the ground.

Cheers,