Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

GWS pico stick brushed/brushless conversion

Old 07-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Brother_Dust

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS pico stick brushed/brushless conversion

Hi, I bought a GWS pico stick-F and put an e-flite park 250 in it. The battery was a Kokam 3cell 300mah LiPo battery. I could get 20-25 minute flights out of this plane but I think it was a little over powered. The e-flite 250 with an APC 7x4 slow-flyer prop at full throttle would make this plane climb vertically like a rocket. the plane would take off from my hands without me having to throw it. It would take off from the ground at 1/8 throttle. and was a great flyer around 1/8 to 1/2 throttle. I was also able to glide the plane around a lot too. Sadly this plane came to theend of its life this morning when the wing folded in half comming out of a full throttle loop. RIP pico stick. I think I might go get a SIG lil' rascal next I think thepark 250 wouldbeaperfect match for that. My opinion on the GWS pico stick-F brushed/brushless conversion is this plane flys well with an e-flite park 250 but after you put the motor in, make sure to fabricate some wing struts or put a strip of carbon fiber down the span of the wing. I suppose that would keep the wing from folding on you.

-Kyle

*Sorry I forgot totell you this was the foam fuselage version not the wood stick fuselage version.*
Old 07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Brother_Dust

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GWS pico stick brushed/brushless conversion

-Flight Update-
well I decided to fix the plane because it flew so awesome so I epoxied the wing back together and put 1/16" carbon fiber rod downthe wingspan 1/2" behind the LE. it strengthened up alot! I can pull loops and fly full throttle if I want now. Full throttle still makes this plane climb vertical like a rocket so I guess I didnt add that much weight. So if your thinking about going brushless with one of these planes. make sure to use the carbon fiber rod down the span of the wing or you might end up like me. I am also very skeptical about the taped control surfaces. I wander of theres a different way to attach them. instead of using that hinge tape. They havent fallen off in flight yet but I find myself having to press the tape back on before every flight.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Aussie_Toyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got told to use some 5min epoxy and let it get tacky, then put the hinge tape on it, that will make it never come off.

I had to do the same CF mod to my Pico Stick when I built it as I went straight to 1530kV Outrunner and 1800mA 2S LiPo. It was still interesting watching the wings flex when pulling stunts.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Brother_Dust

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol ive just been walking outside my front door, taking off from my driveway and flying the pico stick in my neighborhood over the housesand tree tops. talk about alot of broken ama rules[sm=72_72.gif].
Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Brother_Dust

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

-Flight update-

Ok, Im already getting bored of this plane I would like to maybe put some LEDs on it and fly it at night. or maybe find some floats and fly it at the pond. I cant think of many more mods but that. the skill level to fly this plane is a bit low for me. maybe Ill let one of my friends try to fly it. hmmm