Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
The_Mongrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Looks great!

A little off topic, but if anyone is looking for another sea plane, I just maidened a Catalina - Vid of land and then water testing here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2p5Z3nJNEM

Cheers
-J
Old 04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
SebM

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

I swapped out to a Balsa Products 2212-13, APC 8-6 slow fly prop and also moved the CG back 1/8=3/16" behind the factory suggestion.

It gets off the grass better and is flying a little better with that prop and motor....and the motor only costs 15.95.
Where did you bought this motor ? I'm trying to find one from Great Hobbies because I am in Canada but they don't sell that brand. They do offer lot's of brand but since I know nothing in electric I don't know what substitution could be as good. I like the low cost motor as it could help me buy the outfit earlier. I have nothing in electric so I need to buy everything which increase the price of getting this plane.

Thank you,
Séb
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Dr Kiwi

http://www.lightflightrc.com/

Every Tom, Dick and Harry is re-badging these Suppo/Welgard motors - it is a most commonly found as a Suppo A2212/13.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92906.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	920043  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:35 PM
SebM

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

http://www.lightflightrc.com/

Every Tom, Dick and Harry is re-badging these Suppo/Welgard motors - it is a most commonly found as a Suppo A2212/13.
Nice web site, thank you. What do you think of their ESC ? The recommended ESC with the Seawind EP is a 25 A but on this web site they only have 20 or 30A and seem to recommend the 20A for their Suppo 2212-13 motor. Is that right and what do you think of this kind of ESC and motor combination compare to the recommended combination made by Great Plane ? I could save a lot but I don't want to get cheap stuff.

Thanks,
Séb
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 AM
SebM

I have a dilema about my motor and batterie selection for my GP Seawind EP. I need advice about what is the best selection between theses two combo :

* Both from http://www.lightflightrc.com/

1) Suppo 2212-13 motor with 1320 Thunder Power 3s lipo batt.

OR

2) Suppo 2217-09 motor with 2100 Thunder Power 3s lipo batt.

So the first combo is really light but are ''maybe'' under powered ? While the second have lot's of power but it much more heavier, now will this extra weight cause problem ?

Here is the specs of the motors :

Suppo 2212-13 :
• 47g Mini Outrunner
• Kv: 1000, Rm: 0.090, io: 0.5A, Poles: 14
• Max watts: 145, Max amps: 12A for 60sec
• Shaft is 3.17mm
• Dimensions: 28mm x 30mm

Suppo 2217-09 :
• 70g Outrunner
• Kv: 950, Rm: 0.095, io: 0.9A, Poles: 14
• Max amps: 15A for 60sec
• Shaft is 4.0 mm
• Dimensions: 27.5mm x 30mm

* Specs of the original recommended GP motor are here : http://www.electrifly.com/powersyste...ire-28-30.html
Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
dvagge

I am running the RimFire motor, but I went with a 1450KV rather than the 950 they recommended. I also use a 3 cell 2100 ThunderPower battery and the model balanced perfectly without having to add any weight.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 AM
SebM

ORIGINAL: dvagge

I am running the RimFire motor, but I went with a 1450KV rather than the 950 they recommended. I also use a 3 cell 2100 ThunderPower battery and the model balanced perfectly without having to add any weight.
And what is the weight of your motor ? If it balance perfectly with the 2100 TP and if your motor are not too much lighter than the bigger Suppo outrunner I may go with the second option. I am just a bit afraid of the complete flying weight.

* EDIT : I found your weight, it's the same 54gr. so my motor would be too heavy at 70gr.

Séb
Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 AM
dvagge

You're right. If the motor is 70g, I think you are going to need significant weight in the nose to balance. The location of the motor is behind the CG, so that is going to be a big factor.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 PM
supercubfloater

on the weight issue, my battery is a 2170 lipo, and i just placed it forward or back further in the fron of the plane, and i found perfect CG with the included CG balancer. not only that but with 2170mAh battery, im gonna be able to fly for 20 min at least lol
Old 04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I'd post some pics of the SeaWind at Lake Powell this last weekend. Bone stock per the plans running a 2100 battery which provides a easy 15 minutes of flying time running 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I am making one mod after this first trip out. I'm adding some 2/56 bolts to the hatch to keep it secure. If you dink a landing the hatch flys off and you find your Seawind sitting in the lake with smoke coming out of the open hatch. Note to self, always keep a spare ESC in the box.

Name:	Ge94376.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	940423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80170.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	940424  
Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
dvagge

Very cool pictures. Powell is my favorite place and that plane would add a new dimension to the trip.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 PM
lthibault

Tried to maiden yesterday. Very calm conditions but the plane entered the ''skipping'' mode, then the canopy left the ship, resulting in a flooded Seawind... need more practice to master the take-off technique. I've also decided to use a screw to secure the canopy. Will try again later when conditions are less windy.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 PM
The_Mongrel

BUGGER!!

I think the same rule would apply to the way I take my catalina off... smooth increase in throttle and get her up quick!!

Cheers
-J
Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
lthibault

Glad to report successful maiden yesterday. I practiced taxiing and take-off technique, once mastered it's very smooth. The plane glides beautifully and speed will lift it very quickly and gracefully.

A seaplane with a motor in this position is not responding like regular planes so it will take some time to get use to it. A few comments:

-This model is hot! Quite speedy and fast
-Ailerons were very responsive, had to use a lot of expo and reduce dual rate

On the overall I'm very satisfied with the Seawind EP! This one will be a keeper. Once you've sealed the wings and electronic equipment & secure the hatch no more water goes in. Also remember to put oil on the rods and maybe some lithium grease on the parts exposed to water.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
lthibault

Due to a perfect weather I made a few runs this morning, having more and more control and stability. I will try to mix a little bit of up elevator with the rudder (I'm lazy) and also some rudder with ailerons. The rudder make smooth and nice turns with this airplane. It has no bad habits, very smooth. I've read about the effect of a sudden throttle increase when getting close to the water but haven't really experimented it.

Going back to this topic, I really suggest that GP change the recommended low rate throws for the ailerons and reduce them. With the recommended configuration the low rate aileron throws were way too high, the plane was very nervous and rolling too much.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got that right. It rolls faster than my Extra on the recommended rates. Someone with less expierence would have their hands full on maiden with the recommended rates.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM
lthibault

I'm using a Spektrum DX6i radio. To reach scale-like flying and smooth control I had to dial +100% expo on the ailerons and reduce dual rate to about 40%! Can't believe the specs throws on this thing. Almost like wanting to make people loose control on maiden?

So to all of you building this plane, a word of caution, it is a hot little plane and wisdom tells you to experiment it on calm days at the beginning.

Finally about the CG, I have reached excellent balance without adding lead, using a 2100 MHA 3s lipo.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
lthibault

...forgot to mention: the lipo is located as far as possible in the nose of the plane.

And I also forgot to comment on the DX6i Radio: fantastic product! Nothing short than a revolution. No more glitches, total security and confidence, no more frequency panel. Wow.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 PM
lthibault

Latest report from the field.

Other than beeing totally satisfied and secured by the Spektrum Dx6i radio, I've added two 7G lead pieces in the nose of the plane and it made one big difference. It is flying with much more authority, more stable without reducing power and take off as well as landing are smooth and easy. I'm really starting to enjoy this Seawind!

My practice is now focused on trying to calm down the plane and fly in a smaller area since I'm planning to make a demo at a city park lake.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 AM
jmupilot

I escaped disaster yesterday. I was flying the Seawind EP and heard a loud cracking noise. The nose of the plane when up and it kinda stalled. I pulled power andset up for landing. when the Seawind flew by at eye level I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The motor was hanging by the wires and, dangling below the fuselage. The ensueing landing was uneventful, but when I walked , up to the mode the whole motor mount was shredded. Nothing left but the wood were it is glued to the foam. Dont understand what happened, no hard hits or crashes in the past years flying. I guess I will have to rebuild the mount and order a new cowl.

Anyone else have any mount problems? and be sure to check the glue joints on all your Seawind EP's before it happens to you.

Pete
Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 PM
lthibault

Well I'm back to square one with this one[&o]; was enjoying a smooth flight at the marina the other day, sitting down and looking at the bird when all of a suddent, she dropped like a duck hit by a shotgun!

Tried to raise her before hitting the water; the impact broke her in the middle but I was able to pick up the wreck.

Turned out the receiver and servos worked OK but the speed controller would not make the motor run steadily in mid and high positions. I suspect that my 20 AMP JETI unit could not handle the 2100 25-35C 11.1V Lipo. So I'm going to start over and waterproof everything again. Ordered a 40 AMPS Turnigy controller from Hobby City.

The kit is backordered so I will need to be patient.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 PM
j.m.

jmupilot:

Do you have any pictures? You may be able to build it back up again.

Ithibault:
waterproofing everything on this plane wouldn't be a bad idea. And you should be fine with a 30 or 25 amp speedo.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:28 AM
lthibault

The model is available again so I'm ordering another one. Will waterproof the ESC and receiver with Silicon, put servos in balloons, etc. Should be back in a couple of weeks.

This time I'm planning to do a few improvements. Will post pictures later. Among other things, will replace the balsa plate that holds the servos and ESC with a plexiglass piece; so the water will not affect it.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 AM
lthibault

Got my new kit yesterday.

I've replaced the fried ESC with a Prodigy Plush 40 unit. New JR micros servos, Spektrum AR6100 receiver. You can barely see the electronics under the silicon.

I decided to replace the plywood holding the servos with a plexiglass part, thus avoiding the mildew and contamination that occurs once water get inside.

As you can see on the pictures I'm using white sealant all around the wing.

Name:	Ec87810.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	975962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10076.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	975963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55333.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	975964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15883.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	975965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57700.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	975966  
Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM
jmupilot

I have replaced the cowling that got damaged when the motor mount blew out. I had to remove the entire assembly from the foam, and replace a few pieces of ply with new ones. I haven't gotten a chance to try it since the rebuild.. I didnt mention that on the flight that the motor mount went out I noticed that it seemed to really nose dive into the water as I applied throttle. I just took it as a quirk of the days flying and held full up eleveator until it reached planeing speed on the hull. As speed increased I just let off the elevator and as it reached take off speed I just pulled up. It did need a lot of up trim and after less than a minute of flight, the motor mount came apart. I got it landed in one piece, but the cowling was destroyed and the mount was damaged. Hope to try it agian this weekend. Still not sure why the mount came apart it looked like the glue joints just let go. Even the glue that holds the plywood back plate to the foam had let go. I'll give a report of the fixs as soon as I get it in the air again.

Once again please check your motor mounts and glue joints the water may have made you EP Seawind motor mounts loose also. Like I stated before mine has never been crashed, or even had a rough landing. The motor is not the one called for but is actually smaller than the RimFire they call for. Its a Team Orion Avionics Gust MS with a Kv of 1820 and swinging a 8x6 APC electric prop on 11.1 v 1350 mA Li-Po battery. the motor weighs 48 grams. More KV but smaller in dia and weight. It may have been a tourqe factor also, but I kinda doubt it.

Pete

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.