Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Critterhunter’s last two posts with respect to Foamflyers 3 channel So twin boom pusher design.
    Hey guys. Glad to see the thread is still marching on! (12.21.09)
    I was PM'ed about the new link to Foam Flyer's build plans for the So. It can be found here... http://www.foamflyer.info/plane.html (1.22.10)
    Fisher’s most recent post ... 11.14.09 (has been deleted from thread for some reason)
    I have an aerial video I took from the plane. I can tell you this plane is very capable. As Foam Flyer says on his site. These planes can do way more than you would expect from a single aileron, elevator setup. They are simple, cheap and fly great! You can hug the ground at 4' and pull a full loop ending right back on the deck and keep on going. Rolls are a bit slow but that does not affect the fun factor!

Build your first one just as the plans and instructions indicate and you will be smiling all day long. If you want to see the aerial video let me know and I will attempt to post it to YouTube.
    BJ64 and saucerguy’s recent posts about molded models like the Multiplex MicroJet and lil Fox Glider could suggest that Foamflyer’s So.11 (as well as other 3 channel twin boom pusher designs) are perhaps viewed as having run their course as well as a little too “old bean” (old fashioned ugly) despite its practicality.
    It's good to see the molds for the microjet still staying in service. (saucerguy 2.9.10)
    … take note I modded the foam flyer into a tractor, put in a bl motor that was designed to replace a .40 engine, put in a smaller pack, yet 14" prop combo with it all, made it really fast, made it ugly, but the thing is down right intimidating even for the seasoned rc pilot to handle. All on this little So.. line as it's core to begin with, be it no longer pusher any more at this stage. (saucerguy 2.11.10)
    Also Fisher’s post on 9.26.09
    There is a site that sells full foam jet kits with fully built up bodies. It would be neat to build one of their models and get a sense of how flat foam can be turned into a full bodied fuse. http://www.6mmflyrc.com/original-series/

I also saw where a builder simply took a flat foam jet and filled in the voids with solid foam and sanded to shape. The result was a bit heavier but by convincing. I own on of their Quick Build F-22's and it flies great.
    Perhaps, BJ64s timely posts are an indication that it may be past time for some to move beyond Foamflyer’s 3-channel twin boom pusher. One would have hoped to see at least one successful flight video posted of one of Fisher's or critterhunter's twin boom pusher in action since Fisher’s first successful “So What” maiden in Anchorage, Alaska on 12.18.05.
    Yeeeee! Haaaaawwwwww! Just got back from the maiden flight and all I can say is "This is a great first build plane." Thanks again for posting the link to begin with. The plane has very good flight characteristics and the BP 21 is a perfect match. I flew for more than 30 minutes on the Dimond Lipo and still had power left when I landed it on the ice. Quite a run out when the ice is a little wet. Slow speed was great. Nice low level fly bys and then dump the power to it and climb to 500' in a few seconds. Unpowered flight is as good or better than the Stryker. The extreme strapping tape was on the tail booms and another strip on top of the wing. Inverted flight was OK but I did not spend to much time upside down. Having only a 2" wide aileron meant that it did not have much of a roll rate. Dual airlerons would be great. I am very happy.

First toss with 3/4 throttle and she climed out with just a little trimming needed for straight and level flight. It is a little tail heavy since I added the extra tape to the booms after I mounted the battery. I will have to fix that but who cares right now. I am Happy!!!! (Fisher 12.18.05)
    TRY NOT TO STRAY TOO FAR OFF THIS THREAD'S FLIGHT PATH ... For those Top Gun pilots interested in custom building a F-22 flat foamy check out the attached links and photos.

F-22 EasyBuild flat foam Parkjet PDF plans for $9.99
    http://www.********.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2057
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayJnYPqxcaU&NR=1

How to Bevel for Control Surfaces for Foamies
    http://www.********.com/forum/showpo...84&postcount=2

How to Install Carbon Rod in Foamie Wings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wf0jb2eK2M&NR=1

F-22 with Airbrakes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgD9v...layer_embedded

The “Demise F-22” link, 9.26.09 quote by Fisher and last colorful photo are all SO-REAL examples of Fisher's “speed kills” comment (unfortunate accidents we’ve all experienced whether a Beginner or Top Gun).
    The Untimely Demise of my ******** F-22 Easybuild
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYLqQ...layer_embedded
    Last time I flew I put up my YardbirdRC YB-22, rolled inverted and then pulled up on the stick. Needless to say I now have a pile of foam pieces to glue back together. (Fisher 9/26/09)
    NOTE: It's up to critterhunter (not saucerguy or BJ64) to decide if this Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2) thread is no longer a Foamflyer pusher driven thread ... http://www.foamflyer.info/plane.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65774.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	1379811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68394.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	1379812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej12961.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1379813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bv60312.jpg 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	1379814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tf49543.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	1379815  

Never Give Up, Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old, and Never Ever Die Young

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, going to start the free foam flyer thread 3 if this keeps it up. Dude, flat foam is not the same pedigree of what we are talking about here, it has it's exposure on other threads and sections here, don't bother to push it here, we just don't focus on that type of plane type construction here. It's free, it's foam, it flies, and it's cool looking as well as practical of a design, it works, don't fix what works.... B :0l

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mate - stop with the psycho-analysis bull-sh.it, ok?

I saw 'foam', I was playing with foam, so I posted. Apologies if that got up your nose. I didn't realise that this was some sort of secret bloody society.

I GET IT NOW - Jeez... keep your collective shirts on.

If you don't want people to post to a PUBLIC forum, perhaps you could just e-mail each other??

At least Critter was polite. I'm new to the sport and was just looking for casual conversation regarding foam aircraft.

Hells-bells - I made a mistake and posted something foam-related to a foam thread. Apparently, that's a big Taboo in here - it has to be about a twin-boom pusher only. Just shoot me...

Gawd... what a great way to treat interested fellow-RC'ers...

BJ
    Ahhhh...I love the smell Kero in the mornings....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

...now....the pic of that red Twin-Boom - is there a higher-res/larger photo of that about?

That's something I'd like to get into building.

BUT... good quality foam down here is a real pain in the backside to source. A modest sheet of the plain white (and brittle) 'packing' type foam is about 60 bucks a sheet. The blue 'Dow' type foam is near impossible to get, though I have found a source in Perth (that's like Frisco to NY). The postage is a real killer - though it's light as a feather, they sting you on the cubic capacity. There's a 'similar' yellow variety to the blue foam closer to home, but I don't know the quality yet.

As an aside (and yes, I know this is getting off-topic now), you guys in the States don't realise how fortunate you are with anything to do with RC. We can get a fair bit of the 'mainstream' stuff down here, but you can as good as double the price as a starting point. Man, I'd be happy to just get my hands on a couple of 6x3 3inch sheets of that good blue foam to build a few projects (and wings etc for other projects), but it's just so darn hard/expensive to get...

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From Critterhunter's 6.1.09 post on page 17
    Got the final specs on my latest build of the "So" dual boomer that I've been flying for several months now. I did a few finishing touches like building a thinner battery hatch out of 1/8th inch balsa and shortening the nose. This plane has been very reliable and a joy to fly, as the previous builds of this design also were.

Name: Tin Cow
    Motor: Re-winded 2409-12T. 10 turn single 22 awg WYE. 1275-1325 k/v. 22 amps max continous, 26 peak. 5/5 winding. Max efficiency 78%. 8x6 prop most efficient. 9x6 most thrust. Stock wind would only be 65-70% efficient. Wound with dense copper polymidamide 200+ degree celcius industrial wire. Will delaminate at 600-700 degrees. I'm using an 8x8 APC E prop on it for this platform.
    ESC: Tower Pro 30 amp
    BEC: Yes (Can't remember specs)
    RX: GWS 6 channel
    Servos: HXT900s
    Controls: Ailerons/Elevator
    Wingspan: 3 feet
    Width: 6 3/4"
    Plane Length: 27"
    COG: Currently set at 2 1/2" and might still be a bit nose heavy.
    AUW: 28.1 ounces
    Wing Surface Area: 243 sq. "
    Wing Loading: 16.652 ounces per sq. foot. A trainer is about 15 so this puts it between that and sport plane. About where I wanted it.

Name:	Fd93067.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	1381163  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that...

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Using the 2" foam stock has it's advantages, I was able to pull wings from both sides, essentially doubling the stock capacity compared to the 1.5" stock. I created 6 kits and I pulled one out to assemble, photo's are on the agenda later this evening. I have one kit already spoken for, the one I am assembling will get flight tested and is also already spoken for as well which leaves me with 4 left out of this run. I'm going light with a Zagi speed 400 "yes brushed" set up and a 9.6, 650 mah nimh pack, for I have a few of those still on hand and the main reason being is to prove this design with the revisions in place, not that it needs to be proved again.

I also just ordered some colored packing tape, red, white, blue, purple, green, orange, and yellow so i can include some with each of these kits, for it is by far the absolute best way to add color to these birds and since they are being covered, reduces sanding necessary significantly.

Ok, I opted to edit this post to show the photo's of the kit contents and to show off my nice stack of plane kits. Local pick up is the aim by keeping the wings in one piece, otherwise I gotta chop them into two sections to accommodate shipping. I'm sticking within the $20.00 mark, shipped to the buyers door. Contents include the necessary foam cut out, a couple of 18" sticks of 1/4 X 5/8" balsa stock and 3 7/8" basswood 3/8 X 3/8" stock for the motor mount. Guys will have to wait for my tape to come in if they want some of that as well. ~ saucerguy 11.6.08
    I'm taking some detailed, step by step photo's for it, this will help with the kit equally as for people wanting to build this plane from scratch and have never built a plane before. I kind of wanted to wait for the tape to come in before assembly, but being impatient and giving myself the reward of building one of these, I'm diving into it now.

Ok, edit again, I took a ton of photo's on each step of the build process, will post them here and at my board as well shortly, just wanted to show you guys the updates and the "airframe as well". ~ 11.6.08
    There are over twenty more photos posted by saucerguy from 11/6-11/12/08 on page 13

Name:	Us54540.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	1382530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To45416.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	327.2 KB 
ID:	1382531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu52205.jpg 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	1382532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jc85930.jpg 
Size:	349.5 KB 
ID:	1382533  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kewl!

Was this released as a kit?

I should stop being such a lazy sod and go back over the 20 odd pages in this thread and find a few things out I guess...

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry....it double-posted for some reason...

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey gents I just ran across another thread discussing how to cut depron foam and one fellow mentioned a small hotwire unit available through HobbyLobby (the craft store) I just got one for $39 with free shipping and it works great for cutting small parts! It comes with several extra pieces of nicrom wire and plugs into the wall or can be run from 4 D cell batteries.
    The batteries they included were leaking so i tossed them. Even at that it is a great buy. It cuts EPS like butter too for shaping fuselages or just about any other piece other than a wing foil.

Cheers,

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...g-tool-758342/[img][/img]
    I never crash while flying, it\'\'s the landings that get me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK I have finaly reposted a couple of airial videos of the SO What in action.

Quality is not that good as they are 4 years old but you should be able to get a sense of how nimble this plane is and how fun it is to fly. Much of the video was taken while flying below 20' and quite a bit was from under 4'. Starting around 2:30 you will see loops ending right where they started.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yfk4dmaDF0

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wild Ride. Wild Music!

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BJ64,

I assume that the video did a reasonable job of displaying the capabilities of this plane. Sorry that it did not include shots of the plane in the air. I also kept the plane fairly low to the ground but it has an unlimited ceiling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, long time no talk. No time to read and reply at the moment but wanted to show you some AP of my red "SO" dual boomer being followed by my friend with his video/goggle plane setup!

We did a little follow the leader with two of our planes last night. It was kind'a touch and go because of the low light conditions (darker by eye than the camera shows) and the bad glitching we were getting here and there. We kept the planes as low as we dared with just enough height to hopefully recover from any glitch out, though a few (shown on the video) were pretty close. Due to the dark conditions after sun down a few times I had trouble seperating my lead plane (So, which is of course the red dual boom pusher) from the trees in the background which made for a few nervous moments as well. My plane is a bit heavy with high wing loading and a nose heavy COG, making riding at the edge of a stall a real "fun" experience, and Alex's camera plane was also fighting things like a tip stall as well. The best chase and near miss scenes were before we started recording. Stay tuned because we plan another video today in better light and at even lower/slower flight paths.

http://vimeo.com/10646596
    I find in life that if you give people enough rope they often hang themselves, or at least have a mess of knots to undo...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pretty cool stuff. Might have to look closer at FPV in the future. What setup were you using for the FPV?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow- seems there has been trouble in paradise over the last few months or so. I'll only say this for now (since I haven't read all the messages in detail yet)- The So can be a great plane to learn on IMHO for various reasons including durability, but it's also a great plane to build and fly for the seasoned RC pilot. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this plane will fly and do things that NO OTHER plane can. It's hard to explain unless you see or feel it, just she feels like that "special" lady that gives you the feeling that she might be the one. I've built them light and I've built them heavy (most heavy), and while the light versions really do show certain unique traits that I love, so do the heavier ones.

Modify it, blow it up in size, shrink it down, make it a tractor, build it out of flat foam (though I'm still no big fan of flat foam)....The point being this plane is great in stock form but lends it's self to further variations in any direction your wild ideas take you. It's THAT good of a plane, and even highly modified and morphed into something almost completely different the "So" will still show it's self in various unique ways.

And then off to other platforms being posted. I'm guilty of that myself. Why? Because, let us remember that this thread is not just about this great plane, but also about getting people into RC let alone building their first platform. What skills it will teach you will easily translate to other platforms not even remotely similar, and those are as equal and welcome here. Just try to mention how or why the So's construction has taught you certain things you used to build whatever else you are posting. Not required, but nice to hear here and there. I've tried to do that. ALL BUILDS are welcome, particularly the EPS builds, but we'll put up with a few flat foamies here and there as well to show and tell. Heck, I think I even posted my P51 build. EPS body but flat foam wing, complete with all my painful build step details.

Why doesn't somebody offer a kit? WHY should we care. After all, that's the whole point to this thread, complete with hotwire tool build instructions. Build it yourself and save/brag/gloat over your friends who just forked out $80 for a box of foam and still have another $125 to go in brand name electronic parts. Build this plane, or whatever your mind's variation on that theme is, and buy your parts cheap at a place like Hobby King. Leave the hand wringing and the "wanting" to those who can't because they can't or simply don't know how, while we tinker away in our garage with a six pack of beer and a warm feeling in our belly.

When I have more time to read over the latest messages over the last few months I might post something more on this. I will say this though, Fisher or Saucerguy and a few others have EVERY reason to take this thread where they want when they want. Read Part 1 early on. They held my hand and walked me through a lot of grey areas in working with EPS and building this plane. I'd be nowhere (well I am nowhere, but I'd be even at a worse place than that) if not for their help and putting up with my over the top questions and concerns. I see you where I was then, and I hope you'll let them help you as well. Relax, life is too short and getting shorter all the time.

[8D]

From what I've read so far my final note is this....I don't like quotes being posted from me being taken out of context. Meaning, I'm not even sure what points are being tried to be made, let alone why tiny little quotes from me that are very old and far removed from the subject at hand are being posted seemingly to support a point of view that I might not agree with at all. Chill.....Let them/us/whoever help you, but don't knock those who built the great society we call "So". [8D]
    I find in life that if you give people enough rope they often hang themselves, or at least have a mess of knots to undo...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fisher, watched your video and love it! Cool music too. I wanted to put some old school ELO or maybe even a little Tom Petty learning to fly into mine but my friend had some tunes already loaded and ready to mix with the video. Just the same, it's growing on me. I think (?) yours or Saucerguys were the first and only "So" videos out there. Off hand from memory I think that's it or at least no more than 3 total. I also think the one my friend and I just did are the first of a view of the "So" from the air. In fact, to put a finer pointer on it, I think saucerguys (everybody remember he used to go by a different handle in the old thread) was the first "ground view" video of the So. Your's was the first video from the "So"'s perspective, and mine was the first of the So from another plane's perspective. So far as I remember no others even exist? By the way, who was that in part 1 I think who drew up the So in 3D graphics and also posted a flight similator setup for it? That was great and deserves credit and full mention again by somebody.

If I'm wrong about this or missed somebody else's important contribution to any of the three then please forgive me as I'm on vacation visiting that friend who flew with me in the video in VA and thus rather drunk at the moment. I live about 500 miles north of here in another state. We used to fly a lot together before he moved. In fact, I taught him how to cut his first EPS wing and fuse. Since then he's taken EPS scratch building (& live video) in his own direction. He's got several "unique" looking planes that are based on the "So" and cut from EPS, some of which are used for FPV.

Wind today was rough and so was the glitching on a few of our planes so we didn't get the chance to do some better video. I think he got a little of my glider with 6 foot wingspan that I posted here a while back and if so I'll post that. Tomorrow we'll try to get the So again only better. Him trying to track me at the low speeds I was doing (don't pay attention to the MPH number on his screen, it was unreliable with the number of satelites he had linked to that day and the video makes us look like we are going faster than we were) along with the glitching made for some shakey video that I posted. And the grey outs from the very low light conditions after sun down didn't help. I really wish he would have remembered gto press record earlier on in our circuit because we we're even lower and slower and had some real near misses that had us both jumpy. Found out the RX in the "So" was bad and so it's got a transplant today which should help with the glitching, though I still wonder why he was having trouble also.

I was the first among us to do AP with still shots and video but he's taken it to the next level with goggles, on board data displays, and GPS proximity numbers to track his plane while flying by wire. I think 1.6 miles is his furthest. In fact, I'll post a link to a few of his wild trips in a minute maybe.

More to read and possibly debate so give me time to catch up on everybody. Glad you guys have kept things cooking on here!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Had somebody ask where I've been in private and mainly my free time has been tied up with my other hobby which is metal detecting for old coins, relics, or rings. I think since mid last summer (?) I've been pursuing that almost exclusively. Not that I lost passion for my planes, just that lady luck has been with me in my finds and so I've been getting together with old friends in that hobby and having some good times. I'ved worked on a few planes here and there but haven't really flown since last summer some time I think. When I came down to VA to visit an old friend into RC I knew I had to bring my planes and he's kept me "in the air" for most of the last several days. Of course I've been trying to show him the ropes in the great hobby of detecting as well because I just know his technical mind will love this hobby once he's had some time with it. Well, I've lost the battle over this visit thus far and we are flying as much as possible, which has refreshed my love for that as well. In other words, I'll try to divide my attention this summer between the two and be more active on here.

I'd encourage any of you to look into detecting. It's a great hobby that pays for it's self and then some with the value of finds as well as the friendships you'll form. If you do decide to explore this sport then take my advice since I've owned them all- Look into the Minelab Sovereign GT, Explorer, or Etrac. I've owned or used all three but my favor has fallen to the GT. It's the deepest and best detector in many respects I've ever owned. Second choice would be the Whites M6. Maybe not as deep but has it's own unique qualities and still deeper than most on the market. A used QXT Pro would also be right up there with the M6 in many respects. Funny thing is I"ve done the same thing on a detector forum- posted videos of using RC planes to scout for new detecting sites by air and also encouraged them to look into the fantastic hobby of RC. I feel most people who have certain personality traits that pull them into loving one of these hobbies would also make them love the other as well if they give it a chance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

Had somebody ask where I've been in private and mainly my free time has been tied up with my other hobby which is metal detecting for old coins, relics, or rings. I think since mid last summer (?) I've been pursuing that almost exclusively. Not that I lost passion for my planes, just that lady luck has been with me in my finds and so I've been getting together with old friends in that hobby and having some good times. I'ved worked on a few planes here and there but haven't really flown since last summer some time I think. When I came down to VA to visit an old friend into RC I knew I had to bring my planes and he's kept me ''in the air'' for most of the last several days. Of course I've been trying to show him the ropes in the great hobby of detecting as well because I just know his technical mind will love this hobby once he's had some time with it. Well, I've lost the battle over this visit thus far and we are flying as much as possible, which has refreshed my love for that as well. In other words, I'll try to divide my attention this summer between the two and be more active on here.

I'd encourage any of you to look into detecting. It's a great hobby that pays for it's self and then some with the value of finds as well as the friendships you'll form. If you do decide to explore this sport then take my advice since I've owned them all- Look into the Minelab Sovereign GT, Explorer, or Etrac. I've owned or used all three but my favor has fallen to the GT. It's the deepest and best detector in many respects I've ever owned. Second choice would be the Whites M6. Maybe not as deep but has it's own unique qualities and still deeper than most on the market. A used QXT Pro would also be right up there with the M6 in many respects. Funny thing is I''ve done the same thing on a detector forum- posted videos of using RC planes to scout for new detecting sites by air and also encouraged them to look into the fantastic hobby of RC. I feel most people who have certain personality traits that pull them into loving one of these hobbies would also make them love the other as well if they give it a chance.

Heya Critter - good ta see you again

I took a peek at prices for the GT....*aaaaccckkkk*.... 1400 ba-bee ba-bee ba-bucks? Yowsa! Not cheap I see. Second hand, there's one going on flea-bay for a grand. Still not all that cheap. I spose if you start finding things, you start to see returns...

Where abouts to you go 'fossicking' ? Beaches, old Mine Dumps... that kinda thing..??

BJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Critterhunter, Thanks for chiming in and speaking up. My sentiments exactly on the quotes, it's a long time since we posted a lot of things and having to go back that far, context wise...well, we have lives here, so why bother with the trouble, let us move on with things without digging up too many past points of discussion. I still strongly feel, the posts were directed at trying to bring new life to this thread, so even though the tactics may not have been genuine, the spirit of it has.

With my story, the past year has been a year of transition, so much going on at once, hardly any rc plane time in outside of front yard flying with what ever is doable from the toy isle, lol, I know, even taking a sebatical away from it all, I still have to get in some stick time. I've spent a tremendous amount of my time and efforts into the basics of living and building my business as well as the Church and in prayer. I'm looking at the fields adjacent to the local parish and will be exploiting the vast airfields, yet to be conqured there, so much field and land, open and unexploited. Things are starting to settle down now, so expect some mega so's, soon enough from the new shop, also, I have another stick build, it's a guillows p51 kit given to me by my uncle who is dying of cancer, it's the 27" wingspan version, I may blow up the plans 2x and build a second along with, also, will of course be creating yet another traditional So, using the old gear just to reinstate back into the fleet, my current one, black tape and leaving the in the truck, bad idea, lol. I also have to gear out the latest biplane full scratch build, it's ready for final assembly for quite some time, yet haven't gotten around to it I also have a new little sports car to tinker with as well, 92 geo storm gti 5 speed that has only 41k miles on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saucerguy, nice to hear from you. Don't take this the wrong way but I get a hint that some might think that guy was me trying to have some fun. Why he was posting a few of my prior builds which had nothing to do with the content of the message is beyond me. I thought that a bit strange, and wanted to make it clear that I do NOT have other aliases that I log into this thread with. Really I had no idea what the exact point of some of those messages were, and the random posting of certain planes of mine (as well as other builds from you guys) seemed a bit odd to me. Maybe it's just all the beer I've been drinking on vacation and perhaps the direction of those messages would make more sense if it wasn't "Miller Time" while reading them. I know what you mean about letting sleeping dogs sleep but remember this is all new to me and I'm just the kind of person who won't let things pass when I have something to say on the matter, but I'll try.

Glad to hear all is well with you and can't wait to see some mega boomer builds. I'll try to put up a few of my friend's dual boom pusher builds based roughly on his exposure to my modified "So" builds I've posted here, which look pretty much to be the So in original form but with a few dimensional changes that I found to be to my liking. All that was covered in the past so I'll not re-hash what and reasons why. Like Fisher said anyway the stock dimensions still make a perfect plane in many respects.

BJ, I bought my GT used for about $550 American and that includes the external meter (a must!). I'd go on FindMall and lurk around in the classified. Look for an M6, QXT Pro, or a GT. The GT would be my pick out of any I'ved owned over the years. I've used the more expensive Explorer and owned 3 of those in the past but I feel the GT is deeper and a better machine. The only other machine I'd consider is an Etrac but those are the most expensive. Still no depth or other advantages over the GT for the most part so I went with the GT and she's been rewarding me well at sites I've previously worked to death over the years with other units. You can find me lurking in the Sovereign forum on there a lot and as usual I've got a bunch of my opinions and How To info for this machine posted there. I even scanned in over 200 gold rings and maybe a number chart for the meter to help people avoid pulltabs and yet still find the gold, and a chart for many coins and trash targets to also help people find the good stuff and avoid the bad. Ran some statistical stuff on the rings compared to a random sampling of tabs and found that you could avoid 84% of all round or square tabs and still recover well over 75% of the gold rings in an area. I like those odds, but it's highly controversial because the old rule of thumb was dig the tabs to find the rings. I proved otherwise with my own testing to blow that old wise tail out of the water along with a few others.

Fisher, also good to see you live and kicking as well. I'll try to get you some info on his setup. He's DEEP into the FPV stuff now. If you go to RCGroups and look in the clubs forums you'll find a group called North Coast Electric Fliers. Go in there and do a search for IBCRAZY and you'll find all the magic he's been working building custom circuits as well as store bought stuff that works well with no need to tinker. He even found some good cameras for $25 that are better than the $80 ones he bought.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"I’m beginning to wonder if the basic So.11 reason it's not available as a kit is it’s pusher propulsion. Unobstructed forward field of view, field of fire, reconnaissance or cockpit noise … so what’s that to a parkflyer. The advantages of push propulsion is rather obvious for a sleek pylon racer, jet or rocket. So, is there really any definite flying perk or challenge of a twin boom pusher like Foamflyer's So.11 for either a novice parkflyer or intermediate/advanced pilot. Or is the primary reason so obvious it needs no explanation ... that being all slow learning parkflyers that are crash prone or those that believe you must be doing something wrong if you aren't constantly crashing."

Several reasons why pushers are great planes. Durability is one, mean looks is another, and one that hardly gets mentioned is the pusher puts a lot of direct airflow over the control surfaces, giving you very good control even at low speeds. Just by keeping the throttle just high enough to turn the prop at a crawl speed you'll get much more traction and response to stick inputs. That's one of the reasons I built my AP plane as a pusher, and I even made the control surfaces overly large so that I would have precision control at almost stall speeds by simply giving the prop a little rotation to put good airflow over the tail feathers. The larger control surfaces were good enough for this, but spinning the prop a little makes it even better when I need to. In fact, that plane will do a rather halfway decent flat spin at WOT thanks to both combined.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"I think what you meant to say was, “Dare you tell these guys that Foamflyers So.11 twin boom pusher is for slow learning parkflyers.” If you read critterhunter’s first post in Part 1 he says, “I wanted to find a first build that would be easy and simple for slow learners like me.” Flying 100-200kmh or “200+” was not critterhunter’s original/primary purpose in Part 1 or 2 of this build thread based on Foamflyer’s simple inexpensive So.11 twin boom pusher design ... let's try to say on the original flight path of this thread."

Woa there. Another out of context remark. I meant slow learners like me because I had almost zero scratch building experience, but the plane is good to learn/crash on because of it's durability being a pusher and such. Also, if pushing this bird faster wasn't my original intention it has been with my latest build you see in the video. She's got a custom 12T motor on her with a 10 turn wind. Kind'a the speed of a 12T (or better) with some of the torque of an 18T, which I also love. Both motors are identical except for the wind. I can crank this bird along at a pretty fast clip. Guessing 45mph, which wasn't my intent (just wanted a more efficient wind on the motor than the 12T), but I might just build another and throw something wicked fast on it just to show how cool a dual boom pusher would look going say 75 to 90 mph. I'd probably thin down the booms and airfoil a bit to give her as less drag as possible. Yep, now you've done it. I think that's my next project for a companion to my existing So...A high speed So! I'm thinking yellow on top and black on the bottom to give me good orientation at those speeds when stunting. Saucerguy, you in for a fast build competition? Let's see who can build the fastest So. Motor must be electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's some of the planes that my So's inspired my buddy to try his own "versons" of (meaning dual boomers and pushers, but some of which are tractors), and not all are posted below to view. If you look close you can still see the "So's soul" in any of these designs, all spawned in some small way by the mostly true to the original versions I've built of the "basic" So. One style was used (A p38 version) to film my So that we posted video of. Some of these planes, obvious by the camera gear, are for FPV. Variety and imagination are the spice of life, and I think these fit well in the stew of "So" soup we've been stirring on this thread...

Name:	He97412.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1411716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cy77598.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	1411717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc78251.jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1411718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Un33719.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	1411719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uf50993.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	1411720  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ul79176.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1411721  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's today's compilation of follow the leader with the So. We are still learning to fly in site of each other so it's still pretty tame with only a few low fly by passes but not real low, nor any major stunting. It's more of a challenge to match two uneven planes in install and agility than we both imagined, but we didn't do too bad. We were ready to do another flight with me doing some rolls/loops in front of the camera but ended up having a mid air hit when we did a flight with his FPV plane and my Stryker. With the Stryker stuck in a tree and the sun going down that killed the planned dual boom's next flight with more interesting stuff mixed in. Each time I switched planes (glider, So, Stryker) and he switched FPV planes we had to re-learn how to "slow dance" them together before we could do anything more elaborate. Maybe next time I visit. Check out the Stryker mid air in my Bullet Proof thread in the Park Flyer forum (WORTH IT!) and we'll be posting my glider glitch and crash tomorrow. Still not sure what went wrong with that one but it felt like the motor quit right when I needed it.

http://www.vimeo.com/10683299

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast