Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

FPV is a blast! Both for IBCrazy flying and filming with his plane and me being filmed. I’ve had no experience in doing this and he’s had very little at trying to film another plane with his. For that reason I mostly tried to stay at 1/3rd throttle, or just above stall speed on occasion for say my dual boom pusher (So). I also hadn’t flown in months so I was very rusty.

As I switched planes I had to re-learn how to keep each one in an easy slow circuit doing lazy turns to make it easier for him to follow me with his plane and camera. Mostly I tried to keep my speed slow and constant and only trim my height flat and level with the elevator when I could.

What complicated it even more is he kept switching FPV (first person view using goggles) planes so the variables kept changing for both of us. Each lead and chase plane presented a new challenge.

Combine all of the above and it made things a bit touch and go even keeping all these circuits somewhat simple to get some practice. There are a few low fly bys but mostly it was at a little higher flight level. Just the same, even keeping things “simple” we both had problems, as you’ll see in some crashes caught in a few of the videos!

This first video is with my dual boom pusher based on the “So” and some of my own modifications. It was our first attempt at FPV plane to plane. The low light conditions (way darker than the camera shows) and some bad flitching we both were getting made things “interesting”. A few times you can see me recover from a glitch out. I tried to keep the plane just high enough to recover from those when they happened…

http://www.vimeo.com/10646596

This second film of follow the leader with the dual boomer is better. He combined I think 3 films using several of his FPV planes to follow it. Check out his camera pan to see his motors on the wings…

http://www.vimeo.com/10683299

This video is of my scratch built EPS glider of my own design. Mostly I kept this bird right above the treetops but with her 6 foot wingspan and sluggish response at low/slow speeds I was asking for trouble and I got it!

I’ve got a really good receiver in this plane for long distance thermal flight so I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a glitch before. All I can say is it felt like the motor shut down at the worst moment, but I’m not entirely sure of that. Battery voltage was still high. I may have lost an aileron control and will be checking my electronics as well as the video to try to pin things down.

I tried to recover from the stall by pulling hard on the elevator to clear the treetops. I did, but this second stall made for a hard “landing”. As you can see from the photo, I have a good deal of front-end damage. The wing bolts to the fuse so that’s fine, but I stripped both ailerons, one of which might have caused the crash. She’ll fix fast and easy…

You can see the glider out of control and destined for its fate in the video!

http://www.vimeo.com/10685093

This one is of my Stryker using a custom motor wind. We had only done a few circuits with these planes and were having trouble getting in tune with each other. Just when we started to mesh things went bad fast. Impact on video!

I build my Strykers “Bullet Proof”, and as you can see she’s mostly just fine. In fact, there is no damage other than the elevon hinges ripping, which will only take a few minutes to thrown new ones on.

That’s why I like the stock F27C elevons. I’ve tried custom balsa elevons, stronger hinges, and re-enforced trailing edges of the fuse to join them but found that in the event of a wreck you stand a good chance of chunking the trailing edge of the fuse.

Just like in NASCAR, some areas you do NOT want to strengthen and should be allowed to break free on impact. Mainly, that’s why the nose and canopy are held on via magnets and not attached in some more permanent way. That’s also why the V-stabs should never be glued in place either. Some don’t like the stock elevons because they will wear out over time on a high-speed bird, but they are cheap and quick to replace when you are ready for a fresh pair. Mine never seem to wear out from high-speed flights, but the occasional hard crash some times will require the quick/cheap 5 minute installation of a new pair.

The impact sent me into a loop between two trees but the plane appeared fine other than the nose coming off. I gunned it and wanted to go vertical to get out of there but the momentum from the loop kept me from getting the nose up in time. Almost cleared the tree but she spent the night sleeping there. When we got back the next morning the plane was on the ground. Happy with the only damage being that I lost a magnet at the very front of the fuse where the canopy connects in that spot. I believe the brunt of the impact was right there judging by the scuffs on the canopy. It looks like my prop also bit into his wing a bit. The battery was down to 5.6v but a slow and gentle recovery I think has the pack back to life…

http://www.vimeo.com/10681655

I want to thank Alex for getting me off my duff and back into the air again, as well as taking me to this beautiful location to fly our planes. Couldn’t have asked for a more fun few days.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85274.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1413022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65723.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1413023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66376.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1413024  
Old 04-06-2010, 12:27 PM
critterhunter

After looking at the glider video I believe that I either blew an elevator control or more likely the EPS wing (covered in fiberglass) folded about 14 inches from one tip. That area had a prior hair line crack in it due to the area being weakend from servo chamber installation. It's a very thin wing and the servo chamber must have weakend it too much in that spot. A little epoxy and perhaps a sunken carbon tube across this weaker area near both tips should fix things up just fine.

From my view on the ground it looked to me like the plane went into a tip stall due to a motor shut down as I was just above stall speed doing the circuits and the plane is very tail heavy. Now that I see the video it sure does look like she rolled over into sort'a a half loop due to either the wing giving way or an aileron servo failure. I thought the wing damage seen on the ground was due to the impact but now I think it's down to one of the two.

After it rolled over and righted it's self just above the trees it was beginning to stall on me. I yoked the elevator to try to get just a bit more elevation to clear the treetops and this produced a second stall that brought certain death. At least it hit the grass.

The Stryker needs two new elevons, a magnet, and just a pinch of foam under the front of the canopy where the majority of the impact was. That's why the magnet and a small bit of foam was lost. Surprised the one piece canopy didn't shatter but joining it with flat carbon really keeps things solid. The white discolaration on the one fin was a prior scuff. I'm real surprised these stock fins (about an inch cut off the tops) didn't get torn up or at least thrown off on impact. Leading edge where it appears to have a ding is really only some wrinkle from the sloppy leading edge tape installation when building the plane.

Impact with another plane, full throttle into a tree, and then falling to the ground from high up there, I couldn't be happier with the Bullet Proof mods of Dark Side days gone by. Keep in mind he hit me with a fiberglass wing! Like I've said before, time tested and proven modifications for these Strykers...
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM
critterhunter

You HAVE to watch this crash video. It’s very funny! Make sure you turn up the audio to hear…

http://vimeo.com/9723922
Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

Here's today's compilation of follow the leader with the So. We are still learning to fly in site of each other so it's still pretty tame with only a few low fly by passes but not real low, nor any major stunting. It's more of a challenge to match two uneven planes in install and agility than we both imagined, but we didn't do too bad. We were ready to do another flight with me doing some rolls/loops in front of the camera but ended up having a mid air hit when we did a flight with his FPV plane and my Stryker. With the Stryker stuck in a tree and the sun going down that killed the planned dual boom's next flight with more interesting stuff mixed in. Each time I switched planes (glider, So, Stryker) and he switched FPV planes we had to re-learn how to ''slow dance'' them together before we could do anything more elaborate. Maybe next time I visit. Check out the Stryker mid air in my Bullet Proof thread in the Park Flyer forum (WORTH IT!) and we'll be posting my glider glitch and crash tomorrow. Still not sure what went wrong with that one but it felt like the motor quit right when I needed it.

http://www.vimeo.com/10683299
Sa-weet Critter

Has a certain.... je ne sais quoi... "Top Gun" feel about it?

...found myself tapping on the screen, saying "Come on... lock-up baby... lock-up..."

Loved the music too...

LoL

BJ
Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Orvie6

Hello all,
First post on this thread, but did that the time to read the entire post ...all 60 some pages on part 1 and now up to 21 on this one!!!
Just getting back into RC after a 5-6 year break and decided to go electic this time..had to get all new equiptment anyway, so decided to just stay with the electric models! First started with RC back in the early 60's with a Controlaire 10 Ch. Reed system!!! During the 80's spent many hours flying the foam Delta and foam Mig aerial targets for the Army!! As a full scale pilot as well...the main thing to remember in an emergency is to 'fly the airplane'...so you can imagine how it must feel to try to 'fly' the foam fragments when your plane is hit with an Anti Aircraft Artillery shell!!!!
Anyway, I have downloaded several plans for Steve Shumates (jetset44) parkjets over on RC Groups..
Have built the F-15, F-18 and have also built a couple of BD-5's from the '007 Jet!' thread on the same site.
Ran across this twin boomer, so decided to build a couple!! Have also designed a 'General Aviation Twin' and posted a thread under that name on RCG as well.
Hope to have some pictures for you in a few..

Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Orvie6

ok..here are some photos of my planes...camo one is my first twin boomer...pretty much stock...36 in. span and 7 in. chord...weights 27.3 oz. and powered with Grayson 2212-06 2200 kv motor and 1800 mh. 3cell pack... The gray one is 40 in. span with 8 in. chord and weights 31.5 oz and has a Turnigy 2830 1050 kv motor with either an 8x4 three blade or can run a 9 in two blade.. not flown yet so will have to try and see what works.. These were made from 1/2 in. blue foam insulation...fuse is 1/2 in. on outside and front has 3 layers of 1/2 in. between sides and the rear has a layer of 1/2 in in the middle...makes a hollow fuse to put radio gear in!!! bottom of sides has a 'zip' tie with end cut off epoxied on to act as skid!!
The other photo shows my yet unfished 60 in. span twin (prototype was 48 in span and flew great!)..and my two BD-5s...
Hope you enjoy the pics..

Name:	Bz79015.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1414626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76027.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1414627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62790.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1414628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70617.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1414629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79610.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1414630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66125.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1414631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr26072.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1414632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq54870.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1414633  

Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 AM
critterhunter

BJ64, thanks!

N594WH, welcome aboard! Some sweet looking planes there, particularly the dual boomer! You read through part 1 all the way and then this one? Real sorry to put you through the kind of pain it took to read the endless dead end road trips I had early on in part 1.

I've decided on my new "So" build to be a companion to my current red dual boomer (which I'm changing the name to Big Red on). This new "So" is going to be called the "So SFV", which stands for "Sleek, Fast, V-Tail". It's going to have a slightly swept wing (not sure if I'm going to sweep the leading or trailing edge forward or back yet) with a thin low drag airfoil, more streamlined booms and fuse, and an inverted "V" tail. I might now even add ailerons to it and use overly large V tail surfaces for good control. For a motor she's getting I think a Don's RC KA450L I have had laying around for a long time waiting on a project. This motor always seems to miss it's chance with the platforms I've had it intended for, so it's never been in the air. It's a very fast high k/v motor. In fact, it's always been in like my top three motors for speed on a 3 cell but I've just never used it. Several platforms I had built with it in mind either didn't glide test or got other motors used on them instead. I'm thinking this motor can probably push this plane somewhere in the 75 to 90mph range or better, but will have to refresh my memory on it's specs to be sure.

Also, I made a mistake before when I said the So with it's custom 10 turn wind on a 12T (18T is same motor with different wind). I believe this plane does well into the 50-some MPH range or better by the looks of it, but never had measured that to be sure. Not real fast but no slouch either for a draggy bird. I recently went to an 9x4.5" (8x4.5?) APC prop on it as the 8x8 was getting her a bit hot. Liking the better torque and traction this larger pitched/bigger prop gives to the feel of this plane. It's a torque monster.

Looking forward to hearing about your builds. Post some pictures!

Saucerguy- Forgot to mention about that Geo Storm. Nice little sports cars. My buddy had one and it was fast and nimble. That thing has some low milage on it! Come to think of it I don't think I've seen one on the road in about five years. Flush the motor oil as I think gunk lead to early engine failure on them. I'd flush it with motor flush and then change the oil and use a good synthetic like Mobile 1 or Castrol to keep it extra clean inside.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 AM
BJ64

Kewl...

I'm almost tempted to start posting bits and pieces of my exploits of late.

Though they aren't strictly 'foam builds from scratch', they are built from foam.

And there's a few techniques I'd like to learn so that I can develop a bit of a feel on how to go about replicating my favourite Aircraft/s based on a 'foamie' plug that I have made myself.

There must be a way of shaping formica etc. templates in order to cut X, Y and Z axes sections via a hot-wire to produce a workable foam 'blank' to either sand into shape and fly, or to use as a basic 'plug' to go that next step with - taking moulds off such a plug to create a resilient and repeatable composite shell from.

BJ
Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Orvie6

Critter... It has not been a bother or boring reading all those post...quite interesting and educational as a matter of fact... After all...we all learn from mistakes....those of others as well as our own!!!
I used the 1/2 foam because that is all I had..and I did not use a hot wire to cut the wing...just a belt sander and sanding block!!! I like the way I built the fuselage...gives enough 'block' up front to carve out a battery area, yet leaves the center section open for radio gear (or camera)... On the picture of the underside of the last one, you can notice the ESC looks like it is supported by two wooden skewers....actually there is a 1/2 inch vertical 'former' under it with a slot cut in it for the receiver and a notch near the bottom of the plane for the ESC to velco into... the skewers just 'lock' it in place so it wont move around and get skinned up in landing on a paved serface... The receicer is in a pocket in the former under the ESC.. Also, the battery compartment is slanted from bottom of fuse up toward front of nose...can adjust the CG by moving battery for or aft...but used a CG calculato to determine its location befor cutting the slot...
With the CG calculator..you can find out how much weight to move..and where.. to come to a determined CG location...we use them for building our full sized aircraft...makes it easy to adjust for different weight pilots!!! Several can be found..just do a google search for CG Calculator...
Also should let you know that I changed my user name from N594WH...to orvie6.... the latter was my registrtion number on my homebuilt biplane!! Now go by orvie6..
Wayne
Old 04-09-2010, 03:41 PM
critterhunter

Mistake here...

"I recently went to an 9x4.5" (8x4.5?) APC prop on it as the 8x8 was getting her a bit hot. Liking the better torque and traction this larger pitched/bigger prop gives to the feel of this plane. It's a torque monster."

Meant to say of course that I went from an 8x8 to a 9x4.5 which is giving it less pitch yet more torque.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
critterhunter

Glad you mentioned the name change because I thought for a second that yet again my memory was failing me at something new. Very cool ideas there. I knew back in the day a Stryker guy who constructed a sliding battery tray on rails so that he could adjust the battery position with precision down to very small measurements. I always thought just sliding the battery around under my two velcro loops allowed me to adjust that quick and easy. Still, I like your unique new ideas on that and other things. My way to make chambers is just to melt them out. Keeps it simple for me, if not good for my health.

A few other tidbits on my So SFV posted on another website. It's not a "So" forum, just a group of local fliers of various planes that I posted this on. Some things are redundant listings but there are some finer details...

Got a new "So SFV" design I'm working on. I'm calling it that because it's going to be a "So, Sleek, Fast, & V-Tail". Swept wing, sleek twin booms and fuse, inverted V tail for less tail weight/drag. I'm not sure yet if I'll just go extra large on the tail controls and use no ailerons, or if I'll add those to it and make the V work as an elevator. Still debating that. It's getting one of Don's KA450L motors that I keep planning to use on a project that either never flies or I opt for another motor at the last minute. Going to see how fast it will push this puppy.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: BJ64

Kewl...

Though they aren't strictly 'foam builds from scratch', they are built from foam.

And there's a few techniques I'd like to learn so that I can develop a bit of a feel on how to go about replicating my favourite Aircraft/s based on a 'foamie' plug that I have made myself.

There must be a way of shaping formica etc. templates in order to cut X, Y and Z axes sections via a hot-wire to produce a workable foam 'blank' to either sand into shape and fly, or to use as a basic 'plug' to go that next step with - taking moulds off such a plug to create a resilient and repeatable composite shell from.

BJ
Old 04-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Orvie6

Critter... From what I remember of Brook Park...nothing there but housing developments...figure you live in one of those..and not too far from the Hopkins airport either...so dont figure you fly too much in your local neighborhood!!! There is not a suitable (legal) place close by for me to fly either... Thinking of joining the Pittsburgs h club...about 25 miles away...they have TWO..750 foot paved runways!!!..several guys fly turbines from there.. Are you planning on going down to Centerburg for the RC Skydiving event in July? I have flown into there in my full sized plane befor... CORKS field is located on the West end of that strip...nice place.. Sorry for being off subject..but dont think I have been the first!! lol
Old 04-09-2010, 04:37 PM
calvino

Well I got my main plane going again, I am really thinking of making a Soo glider I know if you get it set up right, it can be one heck of a nice plane. Making the wing will still be a bit tricky but I think I got some ideas in mind that will help me I just discovered enough foam to make the puppy, time to squeeze it in when I got some spare time

Orvie, that's one nasty looking Soo... love the fake weapons, i'd be running if they worked I just got to find a way to drop some old EXPO markers from my planes
Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Orvie6, outstanding jobs you did on your planes, I really like how you modded the fuse in a different direction then the rest of us have, it makes sense to fatten it up a bit, gives it more style.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 AM
BJ64

Kewl...

BJ

Errr...did I miss something here?

There was no text, just my naked quote...

BJ
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
critterhunter

Kewl...

BJ

Errr...did I miss something here?

There was no text, just my naked quote...

BJ
Yea, somehow the site didn't put up my remarks. Wanted to say post whatever the heck you want, even store bought foam planes. Heck, some like Saucerguy post a balsa build here and there. Doesn't matter really, as the heart and soul of this thread is still going to revolve around the "So", versions of or inspirations from it, as well as EPS builds that aren't even related. When you try to set rules on things it squashes a lot of activity. I've seen a few choke the spirit out of long lived threads elsewhere and as a result most of the activity has died on threads that were always a joy to read. Dictatorships ALWAYS die by their own hand.

I like the idea of using formica. Also, consider even tile that is being thrown out from bathrooms or floors being replaced. It could be cut or grinded into heat proof shapes to use. Mostly my hotwire table cutter lets me free hand out whatever fuse I want and then only need a bit of sanding for the final touch. You guys really should build one of these. Cheap and easy. Refer to the start of this thread for info on it.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 PM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: Orvie6

Critter... From what I remember of Brook Park...nothing there but housing developments...figure you live in one of those..and not too far from the Hopkins airport either...so dont figure you fly too much in your local neighborhood!!! There is not a suitable (legal) place close by for me to fly either... Thinking of joining the Pittsburgs h club...about 25 miles away...they have TWO..750 foot paved runways!!!..several guys fly turbines from there.. Are you planning on going down to Centerburg for the RC Skydiving event in July? I have flown into there in my full sized plane befor... CORKS field is located on the West end of that strip...nice place.. Sorry for being off subject..but dont think I have been the first!! lol
After reading part 1 you now know that I'd never bust somebody's chops for getting off topic, since I'm the king of that.

I have a few places to fly nearby. A friend owns a farm about twenty miles south of me with 3 or 4 huge crop fields I can fly at. Love that place. Another place about the same distance away is a city owned historic farm that a local flier secured permission for us to fly at. We even have a grass landing strip (mowed) and wind sock there. I've also got several other places even closer to fly at, though not as wide open as those and so I usually go to one of the above two.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Swift427

Critterhunter,
Real sorry to put you through the kind of pain it took to read the endless dead end road trips I had early on in part 1 ... critterhunter
Ten Famous Quotes by Thomas Edison …
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure.

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.

Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Nearly every man who develops an idea works at it up to the point where it looks impossible, and then gets discouraged. That's not the place to become discouraged.

The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense.

I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Be courageous. I have seen many depressions in business. Always America has emerged from these stronger and more prosperous. Be brave as your fathers before you. Have faith! Go forward!
Good to see you posting again with thread once again on occasional "So" flight paths … beginning to think both you and Fisher had flown the coop(Soooo? … what might I say to catch your attention?) Forgive me if my lack of sensitivity and tact offended you.

Looking forward to seeing build progress photos and eventual flight video of your “So SFV”
Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Orvie6

Ok guys.. Yesterday I was down in Southeast Ohio visiting my mothe.. Since she has some open area behind her house, decided to take both of my twin boomers down and fly for awhile.. The original sized camo one has flown before..albeit in a very small area...not much bigger than the infield area of a ball diamond ...and then only to see that it would indeed fly...so yesterday was considered its true maiden flight...and it was a great sucess!!! Only needed a slight bit of down trim and fly hands off at half throttle. Giving it full throttle caused no pitch change..just speeded up!!! Glide was real good...almost too good...took several approaches to land it where I wanted too and not have to walnywayk to next county to get it!!!
The slightly larger gray one was just as uneventful...although I may change motors to give some more power and speed... felt ok, but did not have much vertical at all...but that is ok...not into 3D yet anyway.. All in all, very good flights and a very stable airplane...would make a very good aileron trainer...
Speaking of ailerons...both of these planes have dual ailerons...just a habit of mine, I guess...but does roll well in either direction..
Sorry for no video, but just ordered one of those key chain cameras, so hopefully can take some video for future posts..
Catch you later..
Wayne
Old 04-17-2010, 02:02 AM
saucerguy
Banned

Orvie6, sounds like you had some fun with it, you'll see why we kind of have this one picked out as a favorite, it's so predictable. I'm sure vertical will do better once it's been geared up better. I like to kind of airbreak the thing, turn it nose up and around, facing the opposite direction and have it change directions like that, almost instantly., not something I can do with any plane design.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Fisher

Orvie6,

Those are some sweet builds! Congratulations on your successful flights.

Well to get really off topic, my son cleaned out his bank account and purchased an HPI Savage Flux Brushless 4x4 truck. That thing is wild. Two 5000 MiAH 3 cell LiPo batteries pulling over 100 amps. It will hit 60 mph and do standing back flips. It will not stay in the air very long but it does fly for 20 to 30 feet at a time.

Orvie6's builds are inspiring me to start on another SO build.

Cheers,
Old 04-17-2010, 09:05 PM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: Fisher

...but it does fly for 20 to 30 feet at a time.
That's further than I've been able to get a Plank to fly so far.... LoL

BJ
Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Orvie6

Well...spent the las two days building yet another So... this one is only 30 inch span.. Still has the same aspect ratio of 5 to 1..so chord is 6 inches.. gives me a wing area of 180 square inches... All up weight is 18.1 oz...only because the only batteries I have are 3s 1800 Mha!!! Battery weights 5.3 oz.. This gives a wing loading of about 14.5 oz./sq. ft. so, should be like the other two..
The power/radio system was taken from a much crashed Parkzone P-51 that was given to me..Since it has 'odd ball' servos and a rx/speed control combined into one unit...I desiged the plane around it..
It has a brushed 400 sized motor, so back to original motor in Foamflyers first builds.. Only has two servos, but still used my two ailerons on it with aileron servo in front center of wing and thin wire control 'cables' to each aileron.
Wing was made from Dollar Tree foam board, as well as the horizontal tail and the verticle fins.. all else was from pink foam insulation..so still retained the concept of the thread here..
Should have some pictures of this aircraft later.. may see if it will fly in my back yard tomorrow...it is about the size of a small infield but should be able to at least see if it will fly anyway..
With this plane..that gives me a small, med, and larger version of the So.. I know the two fly well..will just have to see how 'little one' does..
Later,
Wayne
Old 04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Orvie6

Ok.. I have only one photo of the new bird...camera went on the fritz, so could not get any others on here. The motor is a 400 Speed brushed with a GWS 2:1 gearbox and a ACP 7x6 prop. The receiver and sevos were taken from a Parkzone P-51 that a friend gave me after repeated crashes...so just decided to use them in this plane. Not flown yet, so not sure how it will perform.. Wing is a semisymetrical airfoil with a carbon arrow shaft as a spar and a single piece of Dollar Tree foamboard bent around the spar.
I have ordered one of those key chain 'spy' cameras, so hope to have some video, both land based and airborne, in the near future..
Since I now have 3 different sizes...a 30", 36", and a 40" span...may try to build a larger one..maybe a 48" at that is the largest I can get in my van!!!
I will be spending the next few days ifinishing up my original design twin ( look at the 'Foam General Aviation Twin' on RCGroups). After I complete it, I will be back in the twin boom builds as I have started a 48" span C-119!.. Fuse and tail booms with tail feathers are built, just need to do the wing and install them gear... No landing gear...will essentially look similar to the 'oriningal' Foamflyer So.11, but with two ... Also plan on a P-61 Black Widow... In case you cant tell, I love twins!!!! I have several hours on a Beech Baron a friend of mine owns, so like them alot!!
Come on guys, flying weather is here, so lets get some more of these foamies in the air...no need to make any more excuses... they will either 'fly or die', as I have told my friends...

Name:	Ax72882.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1421070  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.