Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

GWS A-10 Warthog

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Omurru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS A-10 Warthog

Need a bit more info.......What are you trying to take off from, if you want to take-off from the ground you will need to be taking off from cement or some other hard flat surface....has to be flat, it will not take off from grass of any type......

I have only taken off from the ground once and that was a dam good job cos I was taking off from a very skinny path with no servo on the nose wheel.......but you still need about 100m to gain height before you turn.

My advice would be to take the wheels off and throw it, I am running 7.2v and there is not alot of potential for it taking off by itself from the ground. I should have some pics soon of me flying mine....

CG should be about 56-57mm back from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage, CG test should be done with the plane upside down.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Nastag

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

Thanks for reply, We have 600mah 7.2v Battery pack and GWS Micro Servers, speed control and receiver. With all that we had to add weight to the rear to get the CG correct. All toll the weight is about 18-19oz which is well above the spec. How did you get yours to be within spec of 12-14oz? That weight includes gear and nosewheel. We are looking for a really smooth surface to take off from. Preferably one with a slight decline! It looks like we have too much weight. How much does yours weigh?
Old 05-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Intrepid3

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

Originally posted by Nastag
Thanks for reply, We have 600mah 7.2v Battery pack and GWS Micro Servers, speed control and receiver. With all that we had to add weight to the rear to get the CG correct. All toll the weight is about 18-19oz which is well above the spec. How did you get yours to be within spec of 12-14oz? That weight includes gear and nosewheel. We are looking for a really smooth surface to take off from. Preferably one with a slight decline! It looks like we have too much weight. How much does yours weigh?
I did not have to add any extra weight to mine. I am using a Great Planes Electrafly AAA 8.4 550mah battery in mine. I also stuck the receiver as far forward as I could get it to go, that did require me to cut some of the front battery wall out. Just behind the battery compartment there is a big open compartment that is where I put the ESC which is a wattage ICS-380. I am using two HS-50 servos and mounted them as suggested. I have not installed the landing gear although I may at some point. I did go ahead and put the tube in place for the nose gear.

BTW the battery that I am using has recently been discontinued and replaced by the same thing with a 650mah capasity instead.

If you change your A-10 to use the same battery as I am useing you will have to do some trimming and make a new battery door.

I could not seem to get mine to balance, but it was very very very close. It seemed to be just a hair nose heavy, but if i added weight to the tail it would become tail heavy. I finally figured it out, I had the odd cell on the battery towards the front of the plane, by simple turning the battery arround the planes balance became perfect. So dont forget to watch little thing like this.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Nastag

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

thanks for the advice will let you know how we make out!
Old 05-15-2003, 05:08 AM
Omurru

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

How did you get yours to be within spec of 12-14oz?
How did you get yours to weigh 19oz's????? Mine weighed spot on 400g before I broke it probally weighs a bit more now will have to weigh it again.

Think alot of the reason mine is light because the li-ion pack I am using is very small. I do have to say though I don't like your chances of getting your's off the ground at that weight with only a 7.2v pack. I think your best bet would be to try throwing it (and not breaking it) to get it up in the air.

Flight report from today wasn't as good as past days, have been working on rolls, generally it rolls ok but you loose about 20m of height in doing one so ya gotta be cearful.....Didn't seem to have as much power today, but maybe thats just due to the fact i was running my new ys120 supercharged pumped thing in my extra yesterday
Old 05-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Montague

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

I got mine in the air on Tuesday. It's totally stock, GWS flightpack with the pico servos, and the 6-cell GWS pack. I had to add 2oz of lead to the nose for balance. I forgot to check the overall weight. I left off the gear, gear mounts, and nose steering servo though.

It flew well, though I do want a bit more power, so I'm going to look for some 8-cell Nimh packs and remove the lead. My batteries are right out of the box though, so I expect a bit more power after they have a few cycles on them.

I did fly the first few flights at full throttle the whole time. I did manage a loop, thogh I had to dive in to it. I didn't quite manage a roll, but I need to turn up the aileron rates a tad. The flight times were a bit short.

I found the best way to launch was to get someone to throw it really hard up at a 45degree angle with the motors off. I let the plane reach the top of the arc and apply power and fly off, gets me the max altitude for min power useage.

It was windy enough that I had the flying field to myself that night, not sure of the windspeeds, but I thnk the gusts were in the 15-20 range. I really didn't have any problems with the wind, and the tailwinds made the downwind passes look really cool a few feet over the weeds.

btw, this is my first electric, everything else I fly is glow. I do like the A-10, it's a lot like I expected, a slow moving park flyer. Part of my reason for getting it is to fly in my father's back yard when I'm up visiting him. It should be fun throwing it off the deck and buzzing around the yard.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Nastag

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

Thanks for the info.. . we have taken everyones advice and take off the gear and nose wheel and ripped out the servo.. I still need a better battery pack but will try a manual launch this weekend after we get back from the Jet airshow at Markham Park Davie Fl. .. Thanks again for all the info..
Old 05-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Omurru

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

no worries, always happy to help.

Will keep ya'll updated on my mods....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78948_9902.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	43641  
Old 05-16-2003, 11:52 AM
Omurru

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

another

Name:	78956_9902.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	43642  
Old 05-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Omurru

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

another one

Name:	78958_9902.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	43643  
Old 05-22-2003, 11:32 PM
Vegasvince

Default New A-10 Pilot

Hello All,

Just finished my A-10, it is my second model so the camo paint job came out a little van-goghish. I wanted to thanks to you all for all the assistance i gathered from your feedback and comments. I will have my maiden flight on Saturday and we will see how it goes.

Thanks Men,

Vincent
Old 05-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Crash Carpenter

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

Hello all, the experience that I have had so far with my Warthog including flying indoors at a fun speed has been as follows:

Use a 7cell 700 mA pack NimH or you can use an 8 cell 700 mA NimH if you want a hoot but remember theh motors will only live a short time on the 8 cell pack.

Throw the wheels away and hand launch it. Start the motors and giove it a good heave will get it away and flying.

The Servo for the wheels will of course not be needed. Take the case off your reciever you don't need it and keeps the weight down.

It is easy to carve a new nose from foam if you crunch the hollow one cut it off glue on a block of foam and shape to suit.

Use foam friendly CA as it is light and quick.

ON Li Ion I can fly for 20 minutes or longer 14oomA pack 7.2 volt.

But my favorite for indoor is a 7 cell 700mA gives about 7 minutes fly time indoor is plenty.

Crash Carpenter
Old 06-16-2003, 08:33 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GWS A-10 Warthog

I am useing an 8 cell 830 mah and the power is fine and you can cut back. However the plane is very pitch sencitive. Can anyone suggest improvements in how to reduce the pitch sencitivity ?
Old 06-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Jayebird
My Feedback: (1)

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

If you have a computer radio, use Expo. If you don't, just use less throw.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:14 AM
speleopower

Default A-10 flight

I've had a great time with the A-10 so far. Flys well, I've used a GWS 730mah 8.4v NiMh and a 8.4v 1100mah HECELL pack. With the HECELL pack I had to cut a bit of foam to move the pack back to get the cg into the ball park. I've found the plane needs a very very slight tail heavy cg. I decieded to forget the plastic battery hatch. I am using several pieces of masking tape to hold the battery in place. Flight times with both battery packs is good up in the 6+ minute range. I've not run the packs dry yet.
I'm going to use a 7.2v 350mah pack tomarrow. Hopefully, there will be enough power to play around with.
I do have a question for everyone. How do you go about changing out the motors when they wear out?

Thanks-Scott

Name:	91015_20315.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	43644  
Old 07-04-2003, 02:06 PM
gonflyin01

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

To all. i have learned NEVER to add weight. i heard someone saying they added 2 oz of nose weight,, but why not just cut the battery compartment, and move the pack up? that only takes away weight? and, how much US are theese? I think i need one!
Old 07-04-2003, 02:55 PM
speleopower

Default GWS A-10 Flight times.

I flew my A-10 this morning for 12min plus a few seconds on a 1100mah 7cell HECELL battery pack. The wind was no more than maybe 5mph. I don't know what the weight is on this model. I did not use the battery clip, nose wheel equipment or nose wheel pushrod. I only used a little bit of the GWS glue in a couple of places. Mostly I used Probond glue (the expanding/foaming glue activated by water). It is hand painted with water based paint I got at a craft store.

Name:	91385_20315.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	43645  
Old 07-04-2003, 03:39 PM
AirJake74

Default a10 ugly early

got one love it want two rolls superb rather gentil flyer no complaints not overly wind friendly ballist not needed on my set up fly in waist high grass so no wheels havent done invert yet loops just fine outside havent tryed inside was first plane I flown with alerons was verry nice to me really fun and easy to build next time ill use foam friendly ca glue wonder what and how on puting a third engine on top between two existing enjines apreciate comints go fly.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Gordito Volador

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

I am flying my A-10 with a 7 cell NiMH pack. Re-did the battery compartment and cured the CG problems. Takes off ROG in 50ft. and performs fair. I am waiting for the stock motors to smoke and then will go with Speed 300 modification to the fans. Got hit by a gusting crosswind today and it cartwheeled and busted the nose and fuse. After ten minutes it was ready to fly again. Oderless CA is the way to go!
Old 07-05-2003, 03:11 AM
Crash Carpenter

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

tell me more about the speed 300 upgrade of the motors, how will they fit?
Old 07-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Gordito Volador

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

Please go to this thread on e-zone: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1 , you will see almost everything there is about the GWS A10
Old 07-08-2003, 09:57 PM
ttmr

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

what are the flight times withthe gws 8.4 volt pack?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Gordito Volador

Default GWS A-10 Warthog

My 8.4V pack is a generic Hobby Lobby Nimh pack but is made of AAA cells similar to the GWS pack and my times are 5 to 6 min without power shutdown ( I like power on landings). I usually run 3/4 throttle after takeoff at cruising altitude.