Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

wal-mart foam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Shockdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wal-mart foam?

Has anyone experimented with the foam board that wal-mart has in the school supplies? Ifs o, do you have any plans or pics?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 AM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: wal-mart foam?

I have used Wallys foamboard in several planes. I believe the stuff I used was marketed by Elmers. It worked fine for me. I am partial to the stuff that Hobby Lobby craft stores sells though. It is available in 3mm-5mm & 1/2 inch thick foam, and the store is closer and not so hectic inside.
What I do is cut out my parts first and then soak them in water for 20-30 minutes and the paper comes right off.
I have built foamies from balsa plans or just used 3 views off the net and sized them up with free ware, like PosteRazor and Gimp.
Also over on RCGroups in the Scratch Build foamy section, a very active bunch of foamy people, there is a sticky at the top of the forum with many, many proven plans in PDF form you can download, print out, trace on your foam and assemble. All typesSticks3DSportScale.
I am currently working on a Piper Pawnee crop duster that uses a GWS Cub wing modified with a flat bottom airfoil. I always have 2 or 3 in the design, assembley phase and then fly them for a few months and just keep rotateing. Disposable Park Fliers...

Good Luck
Bob
Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Shockdriver

what did you have to reinforce it with if anything?
Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 AM
AJ1202

Shock I have used the elmers foam board as well, it's a bit of a pain to remove the paper but works very well. I think it's the same as 3mm depron as far as thickness
As to plans, well that depends on what kind of plane you want to build
I have reinforced builds a couple diff ways, I have used CF rod and CF tube as well as just doubling the foam, laminating it together, also using foam strips as joiners
this is a 120% T-38 built completly with elmers foam board
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52696.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1169705