Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Removing Paper from Foam Board

Hi everyone,

As the title suggest, I have some foam board lying around and was interested in using it to make a 3D foamie. Of course, I know it's heavier than the usual blue foam or Depron, but I have read that people use it by taking the paper off, making it substantially lighter. How exactly is this accomplished?

Thanks in advance!
    Vincent

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Removing Paper from Foam Board

someone once told me that you can fill the bathtub up full of water (maybe after your bath to save water) and then put the foam boards in the water and let them soak for a long time. After that they said they could peel the paper off. I have never tried it before but thats what I have been told.

David
    WACO Brotherhood #166/ Cub Brotherhood #16
    1/2 Scale Stits Sky Baby Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi David,

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if that was in fact the method. How long should the foam soak? I just tried this on a scrap piece of foam. I soaked it in water for ~25 minutes. When I took it out, a lot of the paper peeled off rather easily, but there was still a thin layer of paper left that was still stuck. Should it soak for longer?
    Vincent

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not sure what length of time is best. Maybe if you leave it in longer more might peel off, Im not real sure.
    WACO Brotherhood #166/ Cub Brotherhood #16
    1/2 Scale Stits Sky Baby Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use a lot of foamboard for my projects and this is how I do it.
    First I trace all my parts onto the board and then cut them out with a sharp Excacto knife. I use mostly foamboard from Hobby Lobby craft stores and it comes off easily by just soaking it in water. I use those cheap plastic storage bin containers for this, keeps the wife happy as I am not messing up her tub, as there is a certain amount of small paper bits and glue type slime that washes of the boards as your soaking. Soak for 30-40 minutes and then this brand will peal right off. The HL board foam comes in three thickness, 3mm5mm and about 1/2 inch in 20X30 boards.
    I also use the stuff from Dollar Tree stores, it is in 20X30 sheets also. The paper is a little harder to get off the parts with just water as it leaves the thin paper ussually that you have to scrub off by hand. To solve this someone has found out that you can use plain old cheap rubbing alchahol from the dollar store at about a buck a quart. Put your pieces in a trash bag and pore the alchy in and swish that around till they are all soaked up good. Leave set for a while and the paper will come off easy. Another way for the Dollar stuff is to buy a spray bottle of Awsome brand cleaner while your there and thin it down with water 50/50 and soak it up good with that stuff, works good also. Some guys say to let the Awsome dry overnite and it will peal off very easy then, havent tried the drying method yet

Good Luck
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys,

Bob, thanks for the tips. I will give the rubbing alcohol and try! I'll let you know how it turns out.

I just finished building a foamie with the paper still on the foam. The performance is somewhat lacking compared to what I think it could be. It weighs about 18 oz, so I'm going to try and build another identical one without the paper and see what the weight difference without the paper is.
    Vincent

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Without the paper is lighter than depron, but at the same time is more flexible, to the extent tha you can easly curve it.

You need to reinforce it a lot, exept for park flyers where it finds its best use.

After removing the paper with water, use a kitchen rubber glove to scrub the paper left (a chore).

Why don't you use depron instead? costlier but much much better.
    inedesca

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wanted to find some use for some foam board I had laying around. I've done some tests by soaking small pieces of the foam board in water and some in alcohol. Even after an hour or more submerged, the paper was still very difficult to remove. I've decided that using the foam board is not worth the hassle, and I'm going to order some Depron sheets.
    Vincent

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All I do is lay out my patterns on the foam-board to get a rough-cut. I have always just used straight water in a plant sprayer. Spray both sides,then let the foam sit on-edge so the water soaks in.2 or 3 soakings does it. Peels off pretty well,but you have to gently rub some off too.Dry,then lightly sand. Not the most fun thing to do,but this foam is available at the local Drug store down the street,it's cheap,works well,and I can get it anytime!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do that exactly, but what I don't like is that the peeled material is extremely soft and flexible, I better use it as a cover material instead of balsa sheet.

Of course is is one of the lightest materials I have seen but requires a lot of strengthening.
    inedesca