Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Biggest Boat-Anchor of an Airplane EVER!

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Biggest Boat-Anchor of an Airplane EVER!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Daveb572

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest Boat-Anchor of an Airplane EVER!

Hi Folks! Three weeks ago I bought a model of a P-51D Mustang from Nitroplanes. It was advertised as a RTF scale replica of the venerable P-51. Now I realize that there will be some assembly required with a 56 inch wingspan model, but that's only the start. After setting the model up which includes some really cheap and weak-looking clevises, retractable landing gear which does not fit correctly and seems as though the mains will collapse on the first semi-hard landing if not on takeoff. It didn't take all that long to plan to change out the questionable hardware and see what can be done with the mains. The real issue comes with running the electric motor up for the first time. At 1/2 to 1/3 throttle, the bushings/bearings failed and the motor had to be replaced. It took 2 weeks for a replacement motor to arrive. Last evening I received and replaced the defective outrunner motor. Checking setup and taking the model outside resulted in 2 minutes of taxi testing before the speed controller shorted out and literally set the interior of the model on fire! I thank the Powers That Be that I was not a couple hundred feet in the air when this occurred. You can imagine the ramifications of such a catastrophic failure and resulting fire should the model have been in the air instead of on the ground! The scale-looking 4-blade prop has individual blades that are screwed onto the hub. No replacement blades are offered by Nitroplanes. What? Another two-plus weeks to replace a dinged blade? Totally unacceptable! Listen up guys. This model is built by Airfield Models and sold by Nitroplanes. In my opinion, both companies deal only with cheap trash that's dangerous to EVERYONE! Comments welcome. (Even if they're from Nitroplanes and Airfield Models.)

Dave Bryer
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Biggest Boat-Anchor of an Airplane EVER!

Dave , it must be us east coast guys that get screwed lol .
I am in Lanacster Pa
I ordered the airfield P40 1400 size , (well my wife ordered it for my 50th Birthday ) she said , get something fun and easy so your not in your shop over the summer building and bashing .

At $239 plus shipping I am 100% honest in my assestment .
I have a nice epo airframe and little toy useless radio and servos that run you about $150 over the airframe onoy version .

You know I am so fair that I told Tony from Nitro that I would be in LA , told him the hotel , said I will make you a deal . Sell me an airframe onoy version for the regular price of $99 , get it to my hotel , I will pay the full $99 no shipping and call it a day .
Consideing I will eat over $100 in useless servos needing to be replaced with real ones and a radio that looks more like a remote with wire then an RC version , I think I am being fair . Ok no reply , nice customer servace , not even a NO .
This was my first time with Nitro , but what do you expect with a company that had seven names and one was Raidentech , the worse ever seller on ebay and RCU
Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
1320Fastback

I have a Nitroplanes Bobcat and let me say that it is a builders ARF. I would not want to be anywhere near one where someone puts it up in the air by following the directions and using their hardware. I would NEVER trusty any electronics from ANY manufacture of a "cheap RTF", all of my motors and esc's are from HeadsUpRc.com and have never had a problem.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Daveb572

Hi guys! Live and learn, I guess. Never again will I deal with Nitroplanes nor buy a model manufactured by Airfield Models. I was in a hurry to post this original thread and neglected to mention that there are no cooling vents in the airframe either. It causes one to wonder if this was a contributing factor to the interior fire.

Talking with tech support after I extinguished the fire resulted in an offer from them to replace all the electronics. How can I possibly trust the new electronics in the burned airframe? Not on your life! Besides, because of the stench, the model now resides in my carport until I get a prepaid shipping label from Nitroplanes so I can return this boat-anchor of a model.

We all know there are inherent dangers with flying RC aircraft. Radio failure, connectors failing, getting your fingers in the way of a spinning propeller, so forth and so on. The list of possible failures is long. Now we add to that list a model prone to fires because it was shoddily designed using the maximum amount of stupidity and lack of safety considerations.

Looking at Airfield Models' website for contact information resulted in more frustration because there is no "Contact Us" link.

My intentions are to give Nitroplanes until COB Friday to have in my mailbox, one PREPAID shipping lable so I can sent this poor excuse for an RC aircraft back to them for a full refund! Then, I escalate this to the Attorney General's Office and the Better Business Bureau.

Airfield Models make DANGEROUS and UNSAFE models! Nitroplanes sells them! Inflight, a fire in these models will cause untold heartaches and most likely, cause a club to lose their flying site. Setting fire to someone's home, place of business, vehicle, field or woods, not to mention the possibility of personal injury in UNACCEPTABLE in our hobby!

Basically, I want my money back! Dave Bryer
Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
1320Fastback

Its nice to see someone take it to the next level, I guess for most it is just more hassle than it is worth like trying to return something to HobbyKing!

I DO shop at these cheaper internet sites but do not trust them build anything correctly. I check every joint I can see and reinforce them if necessary and sometimes even add bulkheads or bracing.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 AM
fmw

I think you can say the same thing about all RTF's, even those from the major importers. I think their availability loses rather than gains members to the hobby. To do it right, you need to buy a good radio and a good model and then put your own gear on it..

Horizon, as an example,puts plastic motors in their PNP and BNF planes and tiny, cheap, weak cleavises. You can buy great equipment from Horizon but the RTF, BNF and PNP planes aren't included in that statement. I own several E-Flite planes - Apprentice, Pulse XT25E, Stearman and I have a couple of foam warbirds from Parkzone. The Pulse and Stearman (both ARF) are truly wonderul models - absolutely first class and ARF. The Apprentice became a wonderful model after I replaced the plastic motor and the hardware. It was PNP. The Parkzone warbirds have not been a problem yet but both of them have plastic motors and junky hardware- also PNP. I view them as crasheswaiting to happen when something fails. If I were in the mood to spend a couple hundred on each one, I'd fix the problems before they happen but those models aren't really worth the money to do that. They fly great but they aren't well configured. I'll just fly them until they fail, I guess..

I had one model from Hobbico, the latest version of the Cessna 182 - also PNP. The tiny bell motor wasn't enough to allow the plane to do anything other than fly slowlyin circles. Two of the servos gave out simultaneouslyafter about 10 flights - aileron and elevator. That's right, one small cheap servo for both ailerons.. Those servos caused a crash that destroyed the plane beyond repair.

You simply can't get me to buy RTF or PNP planes any longer. Been there, done that. I'll bet it is possible to get some good models from Nitor Planes as well. Just avoid any that include motor, ESC and servos.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM
LDM

I am very detailed person , and my contacts with them are an endless loop over and over . When I get a responce its " I am not quite sure what your asking for "
Ok I spelled it out , used a item number , picture ect and showed invoice cost on my item .
I have been so specific that I know its simply a delay to further push the process off .

As far as Airfield , its a joke , the website is nothing more then eye candy , they care nor do they want any consumer contact
Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 AM
CafeenMan

Daveb572 -

Can you provide a link please? I am the webmaster for Airfield Models (www.airfieldmodels.com) and have no clue what you're talking about. I'm assuming some company is using this name and I am not associated with it.

Thanks,

- Paul K. Johnson
Old 05-15-2010, 07:42 AM
wado

I have had a different experience with Airfield RC.  I own 4 airfield products and have had no major problems with them.  Of all of my foamies the Airfield products are the highest of quality.  As far as the RX/TX(2.4G) goes they make look like a toy but they are awesome. I have probably over a hundred hours on them without a glitch.  In fact, the last plane I bought was mainly just for the radio system for another project. The RTF was so inexpensive it was worth the cost for the radio and receiver.  However this little P-40 flies so well that I still dont have an extra radio.  I only wish the radio would beep rather than just flash when they are going dead.  I guess I should be a little more diligent about changing my batteries.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:23 PM
LDM

As stated in fairness to airfield the plane is nice , if you pay $99 its a deal , the servos are total junk and you will loose your $249 investment .
As far as the free Lol 2.4 , there is not settings adjustments for expo , and the P40 needs a ton on the elevator .
So far the responce time for Nitro is 1 answer per week and ecah time no action , just prolongs the same old same old .

Pual , I also found the airfield link uselsss , you cant email them or contact then in any manner .
All I did was google airfield and made sure it was the main link and not a distributor
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Daveb572

Paul, this model is sold by Nitroplanes but is manufactured by a company called Airfield Models. I saw your website and as you already know, you aren't the manufacturer of this airplane. if you look at Nitroplanes' site, you'll see the 56 inch P-51 I'm talking about. There's another company out there called Airfield Models. I apologize if I came off as accusing your company of making this model. Dave. P.S. I'll email the website later today.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Daveb572

Folks, thanks for all your replies. I finally have a solution to this issue. It took the Better Business Bureau to straighten it out. Nitro Planes has sent a prepaid shipping label and the model went back last Saturday. Now we see just how long it takes them to refund my money. If anyone here works for Nitroplanes, be advised...... NEVER AGAIN will I buy from your company!

On a lighter note... I replaced this model already one from Tower Hobbies. It's also a foamy. It's their new EP DG1000 sailplane. Let me tell you all what a wonderful ship this one is! This is the one with the fold-away motor pod in the fuse. It's fast and very manuverable. It thermals like a champ, too! Got in and out of a couple of real boomer thermals last weekend and had to go full down and full left rudder and ails to move it out of the lift. See? I do fly foamies. But seriously, this sailplane is a joy to fly and it looks pretty good, too. Could use some carbon fiber strips to reinforce the wing saddle and the roots of the wings where they plug into the saddle, the wings tend to loosen up some after a few flights, but that's not a real issue. Point is, it flies great! Dave
Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 AM
CafeenMan

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a company - Airfield Models is just my personal website. The only thing I sell are magnetic fixtures used to build model aircraft. It is disconcerting that someone took the name I created and used it to peddle a product that the majority here agree is junk. I should probably contact an attorney to see if there's anything I can do about it but since I didn't trademark the name Airfield Models there's probably not much I can do except hope people figure out that I'm not them.

Thanks,

- Paul

PS. You'll enjoy planes you build yourself a lot more (see my site for details).
Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Daveb572

Hi Paul! I agree with you 100%! Building your own is always better. I do that every winter. Just finished an old Bingo! I found on the internet and I'm waiting to build my replacement Super Aeromaster. Also on the boards are a Global Hobbies Skyraider and an older 1/4 scale Bud Nosen Citabria. The Citabria's getting a better motor and some repairs inside the wings at the mounts for the struts. Gotta run! Later Guys! Dave
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

If you want a foamy mustang that flies pretty well try the parkzone gunfighter mustang. I have this plane and it has been a reliable good flyer out of the box. Wingspan about 47 inches. Easy hand launches at full throttle. Flies well for a foamy - its the best flying parkzone foamy - i have flown all of their "warbird" foamies over 30 inch wingspan.

But no foamy flies as well as a 60 size or above wood/plywood warbird - so keep this in mind please.

Ed
Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 PM
strongbow88

I purchased this same P-51 from Hobby Lobby. It  is sold under there eRc brand. I find it an excellent qaulity build. But I have to agree thta the retracts are not tight in the flight position. The plane flies great and have not had a landing gear problem. Gear is tight in the down position. Everyone keeps calling this an airfield plane. Actually it is built by FMS.(FYI)
Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 AM
radius1x1

I Agree, bought a Yak54 a few years back and couldn't get spare parts. Ther solution; buy another plane. No distributor should ever sell a product they can't support.
I will never buy from NitroPlanes again!!! BTW, there tech support lies somewhere between miserable and non-existant. Buyer Beware
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM
metalguy

This is odd. I bought an Airfield/FMS 1.4 Meter Stuka dive bomber from Nitroplanes, and have ended up with an airplane that is my favorite. The motor is powerful, and no problems with it. Parts are easily obtainable (props, spinners, foam pieces, etc) and most of them I get from Nitroplanes, too. In all honesty, I have never had to deal with their customer service, so no comments from me on that. I also didn't buy the RTF version, as I only trust a radio I put in. Some of  the hardware was questionable, so I replaced it. (Some clevises, and installed pinned hinges on the tail surfaces). I bought my own ESC and UBEC, as I do not trust most of the ones that come with ARF's from anyone, and with all the servos in this plane (6 just in the wing, 8 total) I wanted a separate UBEC. I have been flying the crap out of this plane, and any problems with it have been my faulty flying. Sorry you had such a bad experience.Metalguy
Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 AM
flythisnotthat

ORIGINAL: metalguy

This is odd. I bought an Airfield/FMS 1.4 Meter Stuka dive bomber from Nitroplanes, and have ended up with an airplane that is my favorite. The motor is powerful, and no problems with it. Parts are easily obtainable (props, spinners, foam pieces, etc) and most of them I get from Nitroplanes, too. In all honesty, I have never had to deal with their customer service, so no comments from me on that. I also didn't buy the RTF version, as I only trust a radio I put in. Some of the hardware was questionable, so I replaced it. (Some clevises, and installed pinned hinges on the tail surfaces). I bought my own ESC and UBEC, as I do not trust most of the ones that come with ARF's from anyone, and with all the servos in this plane (6 just in the wing, 8 total) I wanted a separate UBEC. I have been flying the crap out of this plane, and any problems with it have been my faulty flying. Sorry you had such a bad experience.Metalguy
You just gave a how-to for cheap Asian foamies...throw out the hardware and electronics, and use stuff you trust. It's not exactly odd to me that you've got a trouble-free setup!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

Daveb572 -

Can you provide a link please? I am the webmaster for Airfield Models (www.airfieldmodels.com) and have no clue what you're talking about. I'm assuming some company is using this name and I am not associated with it.

Thanks,

- Paul K. Johnson

They call themselves Airfield RC so I don't think people will think it's your site Paul.

Here is the link

http://www.airfieldrc.com/
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 AM
CafeenMan

Thanks, AmishWarlord. I think they used to call themselves Airfield Models and have now changed it. I could be wrong about that. I still get emails about people needing propellers.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 AM
IfIHadWings

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the RTF Airfield 1400mm F4U last year and after the Tx/Rx proved themselves worthless (thankfully during bench and taxi tests) I swapped them out and now have no problems.  Nitro did send me a replacement Tx but it was obviously used and it didn't work any better than the original.  I have since invested in a quality Tx and have chosen to buy kits or ARFs where I install all of the important stuff.  I figure the RTF lesson wasn't a total waste knowing I got a beautiful airframe and a 4s 2200 14.8 battery out of the deal. 
Good luck with the "total refund" from Nitro.  I tried to get them to take back the Tx/Rx and refund the RTF/ARF price difference...not interested.  Seems that once they have your money they will throw parts at the problem until you give up but they won't cough up the cash.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 AM
LDM

Just to give you an update , airfield is simple house name for FMS models now distributed in the USA by Banana Hobbie .Nitro planes lost the rights but still have some for sale .
FMS has now proven to be a worthy and connected EPO supplier that really communicates with the USA modeler by changing after market problems or even pulling the product from the market.
They have now successfully introduced many WW2 planes accross many differant formats from 55" thru 68" .
The scale detail is second to none in EPO .
Typically no one is buying the Transmitter or receiver but the servos have now been upgarded and really work well as well as the retracts .
Planes with details such as the complicated FW190 gear , Corsair , Hellcat , ect are really delivering on fun and value .
Bigger formats are being introduced by companies like LX Models , I have the 79" P40 featured in another rc Thread with sliding canopy , full tricked out with all the details ect.
Having been a fuel guy with heavy loaded warbirds i will never go back to traditional planes , these simply fly to easy in epo with the light wing loading , and typically crashing is like rebuilding a puzzel , you glue sand and fly again
Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 PM
IfIHadWings

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep... I connected the Airfield/FMS/Nitro dots after reading a British R/C magazine.  I agree that FMS has some amazing planes with extraordinary options at a good price.  But you can search any FMS-type plane in this forum and find page after page of alterations, fixes and mods that make you wonder if anything is right with these things.  I have a top five list of FMS planes I'd love to have but I have to admit that my first experience has made me hesitant to send them anymore money.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM
LDM

I agree but in all due respect the problem with an arf warbird is it places a complicated model (many times) in the hands of an inexperienced or moderately experienced modeler . If you look at the fuel bird forum before it was inundated by arfs , you will still find kit challenges on quality but the person attempting to build the kit has the experience .
Then the industry moved to fuel arfs and many new pilots moved into higher complicated models offered by cmp , ESM , ect.
I can remember post after post on complaints about cmp quality of control horns , retracts ect , then ESM distributed by Kondors models again filled with quality issues , then retract problem galore with century jet , Robert , ect only leaving Sierra gear as the very best .
My point is epo warbirds and arfs in general that feature retract , 5 or more servos are not for inexperienced modelers let alone pilots .

The epo format gives a false sense " I can fly warbirds" when in reality there sport planes that look like warbirds . Let me explain most real warbirds in the fuel forum are by nature heavily wing loaded . If you take a FMS mustang you can virtually cut the throttle and glide in , do the same with the top flight p51 and good by plane to a snap role .

So my point is its great to see arfs offer such cool complicated formats to all that can afford to buy and fly them but in some cases the model offers simple challenges that are too difficult for the inexperienced or middle experienced modeler .
You should see the forums and multiple questions on why " my plane banks left on take off" many are losing planes because they don't understand prop torque yet their flying a warbird .
See the light epo is allowing many to get lucky on gun and run take offs with zero rudder input while others are not so lucky and lose there plane .
I am a total advocate of arfs but not an advocate of how easily they are allowing newer pilots to fly planes they don't understand , can't fix and perhaps should not fly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.