Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Are wings supposed to fold up in mid flight?

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Are wings supposed to fold up in mid flight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are wings supposed to fold up in mid flight?

Took my Cessna out to the flying park this morning...A beautiful day to fly!
This was the 5th flight I've done with this, my first, plane.

So I slowly take off on the grass runway. A little Elevator and away we go! I fly a few slow ovals around the field till I feel comfortable with everything then I run the throttle up a little more for some action. Started off with a big loop and then another and then a few spins in the air. I'm pretty far down the field so I make my turn and head back my way when all of the sudden, one wing ripped off and the plane nose dived into the ground. Once I got over to it I could tell one of the wing stab bars had pulled out of the foam plane. I guess the glue let go but Now I know why you need wing stabilizers!!

SO.... One plane down!

It sucks because I was really doing good and enjoying the morning..

Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are wings supposed to fold up in mid flight?

sorry but many arfs are not made to do loops ect , they need some reinfrocement in the form of carbon fiber rods or fiberglass tape
Old 09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: LDM

sorry but many arfs are not made to do loops ect , they need some reinfrocement in the form of carbon fiber rods or fiberglass tape

If its that same cessna in the video from one your previous posts, They showed a guy flying it like it was a 3d machine. The were looping, rolling, hovering, torque rolling, etc. They might have done some extra reinforcing to theirs.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: LDM

If its that same cessna in the video from one your previous posts, They showed a guy flying it like it was a 3d machine. The were looping, rolling, hovering, torque rolling, etc. They might have done some extra reinforcing to theirs.

Not the same one. This was a little smaller than the one in the video but basically the same.
Here's the description from where I bought it:

"Get ready to go from the box to the sky in just minutes with the new version 3 2.4Ghz Air Field RC Sky Trainer. This plane is made for users of all levels. Ready to fly (RTF) with all electronics pre-installed and life-like designs, this plane will soar through the sky, even in windy conditions. Do 3D aerobatic maneuvers made capable with the powerful brushless out runner motor. It’s light-weight, strong, and made with crash resistance in mind."

It say's 3D but I only did a few loops and spins... Something you do with any plane you fly. I guess it happens, I'll be flying the other Cessna tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: CGCINC

Started off with a big loop and then another and then a few spins in the air.
..........Once I got over to it I could tell one of the wing stab bars had pulled out of the foam plane. I guess the glue let go but Now I know why you need wing stabilizers!!
Plastic part pulling from foam + glue only joint = Weak joint at pulling stress

A mechanical joint would be way superior.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39067.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1496301  
Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: CGCINC

Started off with a big loop and then another and then a few spins in the air.
..........Once I got over to it I could tell one of the wing stab bars had pulled out of the foam plane. I guess the glue let go but Now I know why you need wing stabilizers!!
Plastic part pulling from foam + glue only joint = Weak joint at pulling stress

A mechanical joint would be way superior.
That's exactly where it pulled out! I guess I found the weakest link....