RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/)
-   -   elapor foam primer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foamies-rc-electric-foam-aircraft-162/8632402-elapor-foam-primer.html)

snobelt 03-30-2009 05:56 PM

elapor foam primer

have any of you found the primer (in the US) that's needed for painting elapor foam? That's the foam used by Multiplex. I find shops in the UK that carry it but none in the US. Don't mind buying from the UK but I don't like the wait time or the shipping cost.

rwolfe9 03-31-2009 05:44 AM

RE: elapor foam primer

I tried block filler. It is used by painters for filling in the holes in cement block before painting. I used it on my son's F-15 foamie. It took a few coats, but it did fill all the tiny holes.

Jim W. 04-02-2009 02:17 PM

For ELAPOR foam, I found that RUST-OLEUM "PLASTIC PRIMER" actually "Bonds" to ELAPOR foam, then any other Rust- Oleum paint can be used for the color desired. The plastic primer is a semi-flat white that matches both Multiplex and Parkzones' white foam pretty close. Clearcoat can be used to make the primer look "Glossy". Note: Always use denatured alchohal and/or acetone to wipe down foam first to remove any mold rlease agent and BE SURE TO DO THIS IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA !!!!!!!
Use the low tack masking tape when using the tape on a painted surface and ALWAYS peal the tape back onto itself when removing it.
"DUPLI-COLOR" auto spray paint in the "rattle cans" also "Bonds" extremely well to ELAPOR foam without any primer. Do Not use this over the RUST-OLEUM primer or paints because it reacts with a great "Orange Peel" affect..........ask me how I know !!!!!!!!
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ABOVE "IS NOT" FOR DEPRON OR REGULAR STYROFOAM of any kind.
GOOD LUCK and Happy Painting !!!!

LouieB 04-03-2009 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: snobelt

have any of you found the primer (in the US) that's needed for painting elapor foam? That's the foam used by Multiplex. I find shops in the UK that carry it but none in the US. Don't mind buying from the UK but I don't like the wait time or the shipping cost.

The Multiplex primer is not actually a paint primer. What Multiplex calls a primer is actually a liquid that is used clean the surface of the elapor foam. You then can use primer paint for you first coat of surface.

I have two cans of the Multiplex primer and it works quite well. It has toulene and some other goodies in it that I can not deciper from German to English. It smells a bit like paint thinner and acetone. You can use denatured alcohol to clean the surface but you really need to sort of etch/rough the surface for a good primer coat to stick. You can try using paint thinner, but do a test on a piece of extra elapor first. Wipe a thin coat on and wipe it off just as quick.