Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Report bugs with new vbulletin forum here

Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Report bugs with new vbulletin forum here

Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Just a suggestion here as I've see users reply to this thread with their issues and their posts go unnoticed .
From a management viewpoint it's difficult to see how this 'sticky" is productive . It would seem to be difficult for a tech(s) to come here and work on issues when users are posting different issues all of the time.
For me it would be much more productive to create a forum entitled "Report bugs in new VBulletin" and then have a sticky instructing users how to title their threads and explain their issues. This way a user can title their thread with the specific problem they are having and provide detailed info in the body of the message. When another user comes into the forum they can scan the thread titles and see if their problem has been posted and then post their reply with their specific info/problem to that specific thread . If not they can start a new thread with their problem, etc...etc.. A tech(s) can come into the forum and work on a specific problem and update the progress within that thread and when it''s been resolved ...close the thread .
outstanding suggestion... and yes I've sent it up to the community mod / site admin and IB tech's.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Just a suggestion here as I've see users reply to this thread with their issues and their posts go unnoticed .
From a management viewpoint it's difficult to see how this 'sticky" is productive . It would seem to be difficult for a tech(s) to come here and work on issues when users are posting different issues all of the time.
For me it would be much more productive to create a forum entitled "Report bugs in new VBulletin" and then have a sticky instructing users how to title their threads and explain their issues. This way a user can title their thread with the specific problem they are having and provide detailed info in the body of the message. When another user comes into the forum they can scan the thread titles and see if their problem has been posted and then post their reply with their specific info/problem to that specific thread . If not they can start a new thread with their problem, etc...etc.. A tech(s) can come into the forum and work on a specific problem and update the progress within that thread and when it''s been resolved ...close the thread .
While I agree that this is a good idea, for right now we need to stick to this thread. I understand where you are coming from and your reasons for proposing this. The Tech Staff at Internet Brands have directed us to have all members with problems post them here. I will make sure that the IB staff sees this proposal and hopefully they can give us some guidance on this. But until they do please continue to use this thread to post problems in.

Ken
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
IBobi

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all,

Thank you for all your bug reports and for being patient with us while we iron out the remaining issues from the migration to the new forum.

At this time, we don't plan to change the reporting method (i.e. this thread). This is because all issues that are being reported here are being logged with our technicians, and worked on. There is currently a backlog of 10-15 small to medium sized issues that are being addressed as rapidly as possible. I have a community rep (IBpark) and a product manager (IBxAnders) scouring this thread every weekday for all new issues posted, and we're replying to everything. If you report an issue on the weekend, it cannot be seen and replied to until the following weekday (this past weekend was a US holiday, so there will understandably be a slight delay this week).

If an issue has already been reported by another member, it's already in our work queue and is being addressed. Nevertheless, we endeavor to answer every (constructive) post made here. If it's been a few weekdays and you have gotten no reply, please post your issue again and we'll be sure to answer. I apologize if the odd post has not been replied to, but with the amount of work we've been doing on the forums it's somewhat inevitable, regardless of the reporting method.

As the issues dwindle and the questions along with them, we hope to have the new forum at 100% very soon. Please continue to report any new issues, and thank you again for your understanding.

Paul
Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 PM
JohnB96041

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue that I am having is still the same. Got an email with a link. Clicked on the link and it took me to the middle of page 48. With my email still open, I clicked on the link a second time. This opened up another tab in IE9 and took me to the middle of page 49. With my email still open, I clocked on the link a third time and it took me to the last message on page 49 posted by iBobi (Administrator). It should have done this the first time I clicked on the email link. Your thoughts?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I can verify the behavior that John is speaking of. I have the same thing happen to me occasionally. It seems to happen more when I get multiple notices for posts to a thread I am subscribed to (when I should only be getting one notification).

Ken
Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 PM
IBobi

Originally Posted by JohnB96041
The issue that I am having is still the same. Got an email with a link. Clicked on the link and it took me to the middle of page 48. With my email still open, I clicked on the link a second time. This opened up another tab in IE9 and took me to the middle of page 49. With my email still open, I clocked on the link a third time and it took me to the last message on page 49 posted by iBobi (Administrator). It should have done this the first time I clicked on the email link. Your thoughts?
Originally Posted by RCKen
I can verify the behavior that John is speaking of. I have the same thing happen to me occasionally. It seems to happen more when I get multiple notices for posts to a thread I am subscribed to (when I should only be getting one notification).

Ken
Understood. As we replied earlier in this thread, we're currently working on the links issue, and it is our number 1 priority to fix. We will update when we have a resolution for this.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

OK, this happened to me several times:
While clicking on a link to a thread, instead of the thread I got the posters "posts" page.
Anyone has the same prob? V.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would guess hat Page 48 was the last page you visited and somehow it knows that.

At least you are going to page 48. I just went to page 3 again. I would love to know why it takes me to page 3.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

when i try to go into a members profile to see their post they have posted it says the link is broken
Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbrushler
when i try to go into a members profile to see their post they have posted it says the link is broken
It works fine for me.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aeajr
I would guess hat Page 48 was the last page you visited and somehow it knows that. At least you are going to page 48. I just went to page 3 again. I would love to know why it takes me to page 3.
No, seems to be more random for me (sometimes takes me to page 4, sometimes several pages before last, the last message poster counter is off for large multipage threads. It happens only during first auto-login. After logged in, a click on the link will take one to the very last message. I'm thinking it may be a sequencing error where the auto-login process should occur first, then calculate the last message and go there. Instead it is the other way around and something's not getting properly initialized.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:59 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Having problems saving posts or edits

I had this problem on RCU before the upgrades. Have not had this on other forums so it is not browser based.

I started a thread this morning. Posted it.

Then edited the first post but when I clicked save ... nothing happened. I waited 20 seconds and clicked save again. Nothing.

I refreshed and all of my edits were gone. Fortunately I have gotten into the habit, only on RCU, to copy my posts before I hit save as this was a characteristic of RCU before the new software.

I also had this happen yesterday with a new post into an existing thread, twice.

Please see what you can do to address this. Most annoying and if I had not copied my post it would be lost. And some of my posts take as much as 15 minutes to research and to write so losing them really upsets me.

Win 7, IE 10.
This problem continues and seems to be getting worse.

wind 7 and IE 10. Also, over the past 2 days the forum seems to be getting very slow.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:09 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by Airbrushler
Is this happening on a particular member?? or anybody that you check??

Ken
Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Xairflyer

I have one thread and it takes me to post 3 everytime, what is also strange at the bottom it only shows 3 pages where as there are now 5 so it is not just taking me back to post 3 but to post 3 about two weeks ago !!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by Xairflyer
I have one thread and it takes me to post 3 everytime, what is also strange at the bottom it only shows 3 pages where as there are now 5 so it is not just taking me back to post 3 but to post 3 about two weeks ago !!
This issue is being worked on by the Tech Staff. Hopefully they'll have it straightened out shortly.

Ken
Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Just now, I clicked on the "Report bugs with new vbulletin in forum here" link in my E-mail, after making sure I was truly logged in. I was taken to RCKen's post number 1213 instead of 1215, so we are getting closer, things are happening in the background. I'm sure with accurate as possible descriptions that the programmers (who for all I know may be volunteers, since this forum is free and in this world there is no such thing as a free lunch) will get this sorted out (for which I am truly grateful for and to those who are sorting out these bug issues).
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM
IBpark
Administrator

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Just now, I clicked on the "Report bugs with new vbulletin in forum here" link in my E-mail, after making sure I was truly logged in. I was taken to RCKen's post number 1213 instead of 1215, so we are getting closer, things are happening in the background. I'm sure with accurate as possible descriptions that the programmers (who for all I know may be volunteers, since this forum is free and in this world there is no such thing as a free lunch) will get this sorted out (for which I am truly grateful for and to those who are sorting out these bug issues).
Thank you for your kind words. We are diligently working on this issue. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

..... I'm sure with accurate as possible descriptions that the programmers (who for all I know may be volunteers, since this forum is free and in this world there is no such thing as a free lunch) will get this sorted out (for which I am truly grateful for and to those who are sorting out these bug issues).
George,
When RCU was owned by Marc Vigod and Michael Kranitz there was only one support person, and that was Marc himself. When they sold the site to Internet Brands we inherited a full time staff of programmers that could provide tech support to RCU. The problem they had when they first took over RCU was that the software had been so highly modified by Marc that it was a nightmare for them. Every time they would try to fix something other things on the site would break. In fact, this was part of the long delay it took from the time of purchase to us being upgraded, they had to actually hire on a programmer to do nothing but try to figure RCU out.

Now we fast forward to having been upgraded to vBulletin. This was a major step forward for us because the old software we had had been abandoned by the company that wrote it when they went out of business. vBulletin is actually owned by Internet Brands (our parent company), so they are the "experts" with this software. Now some would ask why we are having problems if they own the software and are the experts. There are several reasons for this. First, RCU is just about the largest site they have ever taken in. The size of our message database was HUGE. Just the attached pictures that have been uploaded to RCU is over 20,000,000 (yes, twenty million), and that is just that attachments. When you start to think about the total size of the posts they number is even larger. The second reason why they are having some problems is because the actual forums of RCU are just one part of the puzzle. RCU is actually made up of the Discussion Forums, the Marketplace, and the RCU Magazine. All of these were housed on multiple servers spanning multiple operating systems, which all worked under a login server. When they upgraded the forums they needed to make sure all the parts still worked together. The last reason is because when we upgraded we wanted to try to make everything work on the new forums as it did on the old one. And getting all those things working has been a bit of a chore. But they are working on it as hard as they possibly can.

Yes, RCU is a "free" site. And believe me in that IB has no intention of ever changing that. RCU's core belief is that every post ever made will always be available for viewing even if the person viewing isn't a member of RCU. And IB supports that. But that doesn't mean that RCU isn't a money making machine. Internet Brands would have never bought the site if they didn't feel they could make money of of it. RCU is supported by the advertising sold here on the site. So we ask that you support those people you see in the banner ads as they are the ones that are keeping RCU's door's open and our lights turned on!!!!

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Flakbait
My Feedback: (20)

PM's new and old open to a blank page. Refresh doesn't help. Any help would be apprieciated.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:20 PM
IBxAnders

Originally Posted by Flakbait
PM's new and old open to a blank page. Refresh doesn't help. Any help would be apprieciated.
Resolved at this time. Thank you for the report.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Flakbait
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by IBxAnders
Resolved at this time. Thank you for the report.

Hey thank you so much!! Works like a champ!!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
IBpark
Administrator

Originally Posted by tkline
I've just about given up I actually got a email notification for the second to last post before mine but not for any of the others on this page and when I clicked the link it took me to page 3 it normally takes me to 2 pages back from the post I was emailed about but this time 43 pages back. Wow
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
Thanks for looking into the issue for us on AOL. I've used them since the old days of 4.0 when I was new to this here computer stuff and didn't know much about typing (who would ever think that back in the `60's i'd ever have to know how to type?) or how to copy and paste. Unfortunately I keep getting page 4 when I C&P the link from my e-mail. We're now on page 47.
Originally Posted by Dansy
While I received subscriptions just fine it doesn't go to the right post...just to the top of that page....if I do it a second time right away from the email it then goes to the right ups to date post (unread)??
Nope.....did not work for me this morning. Took me to the middle of the last page of posts not to the last post.
Originally Posted by mongo
when i have clicked on the icon next to a thread title, that takes me to the first unread post of that thread, then read up to the end of that page and on to the next,and for whatever reason i want to go back and re read the last post of the preceding page, i hit the back button, and as it is re loading the bottom of the previous page, it will refresh back to the first unread post that it took me to from the original click on that icon earlier. then i have to navigate back down to the bottom of the page to see the post or posts i was looking to re read.
I am subscribed to for example, Club Enya under Glow Engines under Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums.

When I get a Reply to 'Club Enya' E-mail dated Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:49:29 +0000 and click on the link after "This thread is located at:"

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/show...8&goto=newpost

It takes me to message as of 08-20-2013, 09:35 PM, #2045 on Page 82, instead of the very last message on Page 84 which is as of Today (09-01-2013), 05:49 AM, #2077. The count is (2077 minus 2045 equals) 32 messages off.

This is from clicking the E-mail link in Firefox browser, Yahoo E-mail web page. However if I click on the same link above that was copied from my E-mail, after I submitted this message in RCUniverse, it correctly displays the most recent message.

It seems to only happen when it is the very first time that I enter RCUniverse from the outside. However if I am already logged in, or recently logged in, it takes me to the correct last message. It appears to be a problem with the automatic login process.
Originally Posted by tkline
Given up I just clicked on the email link and it took me to page 3 like normal
I clicked on the e-mail notice of a post to this thread and it took me to page 3 too.

Here is the link

This thread is located at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/show...2&goto=newpost

Win 7 IE 10
I would guess hat Page 48 was the last page you visited and somehow it knows that.

At least you are going to page 48. I just went to page 3 again. I would love to know why it takes me to page 3.
No, seems to be more random for me (sometimes takes me to page 4, sometimes several pages before last, the last message poster counter is off for large multipage threads. It happens only during first auto-login. After logged in, a click on the link will take one to the very last message. I'm thinking it may be a sequencing error where the auto-login process should occur first, then calculate the last message and go there. Instead it is the other way around and something's not getting properly initialized.
Originally Posted by Flakbait
Hey thank you so much!! Works like a champ!!

For users that are still having trouble with the email notification links leading to a different page, we have noted this before in our earlier threads but once again, please be reminded that we are currently working on this issue, and it is our number 1 priority to fix. We will update when we have a resolution for this. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
I'll take the annullments please!
Hi, a week later and I'm still getting all of Karolh"s activity as mine

OK, I've got an interesting one. I've stumbled on the way to find my own postings. Click on my name and go to "My Activity" but why does a member by the name of "karolh" show up as "MY" activity esp. when I haven't posted anything in his threads?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 AM
IBxAnders

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
Hi, a week later and I'm still getting all of Karolh"s activity as mine
Major - this is not going to change unless you "un friend" Karolh; the system determined that you are "friends" with that user. You can manage and remove this by visiting this URL: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/prof...p?do=buddylist

Thank you, sorry for the hassle
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM
IBpark
Administrator

Having problems saving posts or edits

I had this problem on RCU before the upgrades. Have not had this on other forums so it is not browser based.

I started a thread this morning. Posted it.

Then edited the first post but when I clicked save ... nothing happened. I waited 20 seconds and clicked save again. Nothing.

I refreshed and all of my edits were gone. Fortunately I have gotten into the habit, only on RCU, to copy my posts before I hit save as this was a characteristic of RCU before the new software.

I also had this happen yesterday with a new post into an existing thread, twice.

Please see what you can do to address this. Most annoying and if I had not copied my post it would be lost. And some of my posts take as much as 15 minutes to research and to write so losing them really upsets me.

Win 7, IE 10.

This problem continues and seems to be getting worse.

wind 7 and IE 10. Also, over the past 2 days the forum seems to be getting very slow.

Hello, there is no problem with editing and saving posts on our computers here. I will report this to tech to see if they can provide any feedbacks for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.