How subscriptions and email notifications work
There are two types of subscriptions:
- Thread subscriptions
- Forum subscriptions
Whenever you post in a thread, you are automatically subscribed
to that thread. You will receive an email notifying you when new posts are made in it. If you wish to change this setting
- Go to SETTINGS (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/usercp.php), GENERAL SETTINGS>Messaging & Notification>Default Thread Subscription Mode
- Here you can change the setting for auto-subscribed email notifications (daily, weekly, instantly, through my control panel only), or choose DO NOT SUBSCRIBE if you don’t want to be automatically subscribed at all after posting in a thread.
You can also subscribe/unsubscribe to a specific thread by going into the thread and clicking THREAD TOOLS, SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD.
Once you are subscribed to a thread, you can view and manage your thread subscriptions & notifications two ways:
1. To VIEW your thread subscriptions, you can click one of the MY FORUMS links (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/usercp.php
). Your SUBSCRIBED THREADS WITH NEW POSTS section will list every thread you’re subscribed to that has had new posts since you last looked. If you want to see all threads you are subscribed to – new posts or not – just click the VIEW ALL SUBSCRIBED THREADS button.
2. OR, you can click SUBSCRIPTIONS (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/subscription.php
). This produces a list of all your subscribed threads, along with check-boxes to manage thread subscriptions and the way RCU notifies
you via email of new posts in them.BULK MANAGING YOUR THREAD SUBSCRIPTIONS:
I. To remove subscriptions to specific threads
, click the check box at the far right (you may select as many as you wish at a time), click SELECTED THREADS,
select DELETE SUBSCRIPTION, and click GO.
II. To change the email notification settings for specific threads
, click the check box at the far right (you may select as many as you wish at a time), click
SELECTED THREADS, select a new frequency (instant, daily, weekly, through my control panel only), and click GO
To subscribe/unsubscribe to a forum
- Go into the desired forum, click FORUM TOOLS, SUBSCRIBE TO THIS FORUM, choose your email notification type and click ADD SUBSCRIPTION.
- Or, go to the forum directory/forum home page (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/). Here you will see a list of all the forums on RCU. To the right of each forum’s name, there is a small round button. If the button is a green checkmark, you can click it, choose your notification type and click ADD SUBSCRIPTION to subscribe to that forum; if the button is a black dash, you are already subscribed to that forum, and can click it to unsubscribe. Note that subforums work the same way
- There is no way to bulk manage your forum subscriptions and email notifications as you can with thread subscriptions. If you wish to view a list of all your forum subscriptions at once, you can click MY FORUMS (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/usercp.php) and scroll down past your Subscribed Threads to Subscribed Forums. You may then unsubscribe to any of them by using the green/black buttons.
4. If you wish to keep an existing forum subscription, but change the email notification type, you must UNSUBSCRIBE from it, then SUBSCRIBE again with the email notification type you desire.