Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Bad Servos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thumbs down Bad Servos

Hello guys, I have had 6 Hitec servos fail in the last couple of months and several airplanes crashed because the servos just quit in flight. The servos I had trouble with were HS 475HB, HS 485HB, HS 635HB and HS5985MG. I sent the servos back to Hitec in California and they said the HS485HB servos had damaged motors, the HS5985MG had a bad amplifier and the HS635HB had bad amplifiers. I lost another airplane today when the HS475HB which I had in the elevator position quit in flight.
    Have any of you had problems with Hitec servos? What type of servos do you recommend as I am wanting to change from Hitec to some other manufacture that has more reliability.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That is an unbelievable amount of bad luck,, in the last 25 years or so since Hitecs have been around, I've only had one Hitec servo fail in flight, luckily it was a flap servo and I was able to land the plane OK.

I question what kind of punishment you're putting those servos through, to have 6 fail in such a short time? to small for the job? over voltage? gotta be something

good luck
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hello, I agree that is a lot of bad luck. I heard that about 10 or 15 years ago Hitec had a lot of problems with their servo motors that they finally corrected and I think that now they might be having more problems. In My case I have been using Hitec servos with the torque rating of from 44 oz to 144 oz in 40 size planes such as the Escapade that I lost yesterday and a 40 size Uproar a while back. I do not fly 3D only sports type of aerobatics so I do not think that I am overloading the servos at all with the extra size of the servos and their torque ratings. I use batteries with 4.8 volts instead of the 6 volt type so I don't think that is a factor. When I wrote to Hitec about the problems that I was having, they did not give me any reasons or suggestions for my problems. I wish I had some kind of answer. Take care, Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow here too! The only Hitec servo I had fail were a few of the small HS-55's. I run other Hitecs and Power HD's and only had one failure with a Power HD. I fly scale, giant scale and no hard 3D and power most everything on 6v.
    Did you buy these from the same place and around the same time say within 6 months-year? Wonder if they had a bad production run?
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I can't say I've had that many servos go bad in thirty years of any brand.
    DadstoysRC. I fly what I sell
    CD Vette City Big Bird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi Guys, I do not think it was a bad production run problem as I bought the servos over a period of time as I bought new planes to put them in. --Just a funny thought- Maybe it is the High Altitude here in the Denver area. I just took inventory of the servos in my airplanes today to see how many High torque and/or high speed ones that I had and I have about 16 servos of those types. I do not think that it would be worth the expense to replace all of them JUST IN CASE of a future failure. Thanks for your comments, Bob