Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Virus Warning

Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Virus Warning

Google Chrome blocks the loading of the main page of RCU with a warning that a virus/malware has been added to the page that my compromise my personal information. This is the first time I have seen this. I have not changed any security settings on my browser. What gives?

Dennis
Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

More than likely this isn't coming from RCU. More than likely it's coming from a third party that's loading in one of the advertising panes in your browser that you may have navigated through before you went to RCU. To be absolutely sure it's RCU you are getting it from you need to completely reboot your system and then go directly to RCU without going to any other websites and see if you get the same warnings.

I also use Chrome and I'm not getting any any warnings or indications that anything is going on with RCU. Since I work in the IT field for my real world job I have all my systems set to scan constantly because I can't afford to get a virus or spread it to my clients systems, so if there were a coming through the RCU systems I would have gotten a warning by now. However, I will pass your concerns on to our programming staff just in case.

Ken
Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Google Chrome blocks the loading of the main page of RCU with a warning that a virus/malware has been added to the page that my compromise my personal information. This is the first time I have seen this. I have not changed any security settings on my browser. What gives?

Dennis

I am getting the same thing. If I go right to a thread from my e-mail , there is no problem. But if I ever go to the RCU home page, it gets blocked. There is something attaching itself to RCUvideos and getting thru on the home page. I have Linux on my home computer and have no problems there, this is happening on my work computer with Window's 7 and Google Chrome. I've had my IT dept at work check it out and the problem is not my computer or Google Chrome, it is an RCU problem.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, here's what we think is going on. RCUvideos.com is a domain that is owned by us (Internet Brands). It was passed along when Internet Brands purchased RCU several years ago. While we do own and control the domain name the content on that site was controlled by a third party. As far as we know it should have been shut down, but wasn't. It looks like that third party content provider is what got compromised and that is where the virus is coming from. The tech staff was working on all of this late yesterday. As soon as the admin staff gets in the office this morning (west coast time) we'll get the ruling on all of this and get all of this taken care of.

Ken
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response Ken! Glad to know it's not on all RCU links!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Ok guys, here's what we think is going on. RCUvideos.com is a domain that is owned by us (Internet Brands). It was passed along when Internet Brands purchased RCU several years ago. While we do own and control the domain name the content on that site was controlled by a third party. As far as we know it should have been shut down, but wasn't. It looks like that third party content provider is what got compromised and that is where the virus is coming from. The tech staff was working on all of this late yesterday. As soon as the admin staff gets in the office this morning (west coast time) we'll get the ruling on all of this and get all of this taken care of.

Ken
Its nice to know the concern was addressed in such a prompt manner thanks Ken

Dennis