Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Banner ad blocking page

Old 07-30-2014, 02:25 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to debate how big of a job it is to correct as the issue is only on the "Forums" pages and not across the entire site.
As far as other issues?
Click on all of the other buttons on the RCU header: "Home","Buy&Sell","User Reviews"."Magazine", "RC Community" , "Advertisers" and the pages are all shrunk-down to 3/4 size .
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just went into "My Account Settings" and clicked on the "No Banner" option and for a few times it just went to a page that said "The webpage cannot be found" and the "No Banner" button had nothing in it.I eventually got the "No Banner "button to stay with a red dot in it,but I am still seeing banner adds including the pesky A Main one.I don't like advertisements of any kind.If I need something I'll do a search for it.I also don't like TV advertisements and I hate the music that accompanies TV shows or movies.It sometimes overwelms the actors voices.I mean in real life do you hear music when your doing something or talking to someone,unless you have it on by choice.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:41 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

the real problem is their insane insistence on retaining that old original RCU frame.
that one action would go a LONG way to solving almost every problem listed on the "bugs" page
give it up already fellas, we all know that this site in NOT the RCU we once enjoyed visiting. It is now just a cheep non working copy of RCG.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:39 AM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I'm not going to debate how big of a job it is to correct as the issue is only on the "Forums" pages and not across the entire site.
As far as other issues?
Click on all of the other buttons on the RCU header: "Home","Buy&Sell","User Reviews"."Magazine", "RC Community" , "Advertisers" and the pages are all shrunk-down to 3/4 size .
At some point we will address this. But keep in mind that this has been the way RCU has been since 1997; not a new issue. I'll raise it with tech and see what can be done to bring the rest of the site in line with the forums size-wise.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM
IBobi

Originally Posted by mongo
the real problem is their insane insistence on retaining that old original RCU frame.
that one action would go a LONG way to solving almost every problem listed on the "bugs" page.
I don't think there's been insistence, exactly. It hasn't been a big issue because that's the way RCU has literally always been since it was founded. There's a lot of hard-coded stuff in the site that takes a significant effort to change.

[EDIT]

OK, now that I understand better what's involved...

Basically the story is this: RCU was written -- hand-coded -- the way you see it. That "3/4" page view that you see everywhere but the forums is wayyy outdated, and wayyy difficult to change. It basically means re-creating the entire site from scratch in a different programming language. I do not see that happening any time in the near future.

It's possible we may tackle things like the home page or reviews section. But by and large, RCU works, and works well, and it would be extremely difficult to change.

The good news is, we updated the forums to modern, upgradeable software. That was a big job that took a long time and was fraught with unforeseeable bugs that were worked out over time. The rest of the site is exactly as it has always been.

If and when the page frame gets addressed internally, I will update you guys on progress.

Thanks all,

Paul
Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 AM
IBobi

Originally Posted by Tidnab
I just went into "My Account Settings" and clicked on the "No Banner" option and for a few times it just went to a page that said "The webpage cannot be found" and the "No Banner" button had nothing in it.I eventually got the "No Banner "button to stay with a red dot in it,but I am still seeing banner adds including the pesky A Main one.
The A Main ad in the RCU header won't be somethign that can be turned off -- it's actually part of the site header itself.

As to the "no banners" option in your settings, I have not used that myself -- I'll ask tech to look into that. Thank you.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by IBobi
Besides the banner, is there something broken that you've brought to our attention?
yes,,,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...ing-speed.html
Old 07-30-2014, 02:52 PM
IBobi

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Hmm ok -- can you give me an example of a page where pics are loading slowly to see if I can duplicate?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM
scale only 4 me

OMG,,, Dude, read the thread
Old 07-30-2014, 04:45 PM
IBobi

OMG,,, Dude, read the thread
The Picture Loading Speed thread you linked to? I have no issues with any of the photos in that thread -- they came up even before I could scroll down to them.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM
flyinwalenda

I see the new header and banner ad is up but now the forums pages are almost 1.35 times as wide. You have to right side arrow over to see everything,type a reply, send it.
Doesn't anyone check their work before making the changes live or even after?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

yeah
with 1366 x 768
default for my particular laptop, it no longer fits the whole page width
Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulation. You took a website with arguably the worst software of any forum I visit & somehow managed to make far worse.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 PM
IBobi

I see the new header and banner ad is up but now the forums pages are almost 1.35 times as wide. You have to right side arrow over to see everything,type a reply, send it.
Doesn't anyone check their work before making the changes live or even after?
Originally Posted by mongo
yeah
with 1366 x 768
default for my particular laptop, it no longer fits the whole page width
Thank you guys -- I know tech is still making adjustments and I have reported your comments to them as well. I'm sure they'll fix it.

Paul
Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 AM
SrTelemaster150

"Subscribed threads" are no longer coming up on the "my forums" button below the new header. It brings up "my page" instead. I have to click the "forums" drop down menu to click the "my forums" button on the menu. Then it opens.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 07-31-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:03 AM
scale only 4 me

The Picture Loading Speed thread you linked to? I have no issues with any of the photos in that thread -- they came up even before I could scroll down to them.
Again,, forget the picture some guy posted that didn't address the issue spelled out in Words I typed,, just read the words,, do I need to copy and paste it here for you?

So I can't help but notice the picture galleries load much slower since the new software swap,,, I also notice the same users posting the same pictures on other website load much much faster, and the file sizes are much larger here..

Seems to me the site is no longer truncating or reducing the file sizes like it used to do automatically before.

am I wrong here is there a admin setting that needs adjusting?

Getting the pics to load faster would make the site more enjoyable

TIA
Makes ya wonder Ken how RCG or FG or all the other sites do it fine,, but here we get stuck with some disfunction software over and over,, the whole point was to elliminate problems.

Same users, same pictures on RCG download for viewing 4-5 times faster than here, because the other site reduce file size on upload,, this has to just be a box to check in the admin panel, what's the big deal?
Another 2 months go by and nothing,,

Is it me or has the site started running even slower lately?,, the page load speed is ridicules,, I've given up view pics if they are over 3-400kb

My machine runs fast and just fine anywhere but RCU now,, giving this great upgrade experiment a fail.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 AM
scale only 4 me

Perfect example, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...-air-show.html

Awesome pics, would be fun to view them,,, but 2.5 to 3.5mg pics uploaded,, average 15 seconds to open up and view,, old system would never upload such a huge file, scrolling through pics was quick,,, it would reduce it on upload

Get it?

I mean how big does it need to be??
open a single pic up and see it's full size,, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...3&d=1406784579

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 07-31-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 AM
SrTelemaster150

Awesome pics, would be fun to view them,,, but 2.5 to 3.5mg pics uploaded,, average 15 seconds to open up and view,, old system would never upload such a huge file, scrolling through pics was quick,,, it would reduce it on upload

Get it?

open a single pic up and see it's full size,, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...3&d=1406784579
Why not load them direct from a hosting site so they don't have to be "opened".

R/C sites seem to be the only sites that cling to this antiquated technology. All of the forums I frequent except those related to R/C rarely use attachments to post pictures.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 PM
IBobi

Get it?

I can give you a couple of answers.

The first is, it was a RCU Community decision to NOT reduce image size when uploading. If you want to change that, you'll have to gain community consensus. But I don't kow how much luck you'll have, since...

Nobody else is complaining about the wait time. This suggests that, like me, people are not experiencing what you are seeing. When I view that gallery, or open each pic, I am seeing anywhere from .5 to 2 seconds of wait time, and for the first several pics I open, there is no wait time at all; I only have to wait a second or two once I hit #8 or 9.

So it looks like you may have a connection problem or a browser problem.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:03 PM
IBobi

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
"Subscribed threads" are no longer coming up on the "my forums" button below the new header. It brings up "my page" instead. I have to click the "forums" drop down menu to click the "my forums" button on the menu. Then it opens.
I'm being brought to the same page using either one of those links... are you sure?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:13 PM
scale only 4 me

You trying to make me believe it was a conscious choice to change it to these sittings is a joke, if that was the case why not answer he question 10 months ago when I first asked,,

BTW
That was a rhetorical question
Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 PM
SrTelemaster150

I'm being brought to the same page using either one of those links... are you sure?
Yep just tried it again. Maybe it's a iPad thing.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:16 AM
flyinwalenda

Anyone care to wager how many months it will take to repair the current header/banner "repair" ? Now we have to zoom out to around
75% to fit the page and either use magnifying glasses to read it or hook-up a 42" monitor.
I still can't believe a "tech" would not check their work before implementing it.
You can't fit 12 buttons across the header and expect to keep the page the same size when you start the first button at the 1/4 page-in mark.
That should have raised a red flag from the start.
Would this kind of work happen on one of IB's top 10 clients sites?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:42 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
OK I figured it out. The resolution is so tiny on the iPad that I have to very very precise when I touch the tab for "My Forums" or it enables the RCU icon above it.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 AM
scale only 4 me

Anyone care to wager how many months it will take to repair the current header/banner "repair" ? Now we have to zoom out to around
75% to fit the page and either use magnifying glasses to read it or hook-up a 42" monitor.
I still can't believe a "tech" would not check their work before implementing it.
You can't fit 12 buttons across the header and expect to keep the page the same size when you start the first button at the 1/4 page-in mark.
That should have raised a red flag from the start.
Would this kind of work happen on one of IB's top 10 clients sites?
Looks fine on my machine,,, using chrome,, 22" monitor

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.