Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Ads

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:48 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I remember way way back when RCU was young and growing, shoot, this might have been before the merger,, anyway the owner decided to have banner ads to make a little money,,OMG the same arguments went on for weeks,, and ya know what happened?? Guys got used to them.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:00 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The major complaint is the placing of an ad in the first post of each page compressing that post to 4 word lines.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:06 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, while I fully understand and accept the need for ads, and even enjoy seeing them on occasion, having them within the body of the posts is going way too far. I just tried to watch a YouTube video in someone's post, but only about a third of it was visible due to the ad. Banner ads at the top are fine, and I can easily tolerate having stuff at the side and even the bottom, just not this. So from now on if I actually post a thread, I'll just put "see below" in the first post, then immediately respond with my actual post. That way if I post pics or video, people might actually see it. But that's not too likely since I'm not here much anymore, and this will likely get deleted anyway.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
The major complaint is the placing of an ad in the first post of each page compressing that post to 4 word lines.
Not seeing the problem
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2015-09-17 13.16.42.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2120290  
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 AM
scale only 4 me

Oh wait,, I see, if I shrink the screen I can make the issue look worse than it really is.

Name:	Screenshot 2015-09-17 13.24.01.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	2120294  
Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I remember way way back when RCU was young and growing, shoot, this might have been before the merger,, anyway the owner decided to have banner ads to make a little money,,OMG the same arguments went on for weeks,, and ya know what happened?? Guys got used to them.
Speaking of "back in the day"....I got this e-mail yesterday when I let my account transition back to Trading Member Plus from the next paid level up:

We are sorry you chose to downgrade your membership. Hopefully, the benefits of having bonus money in your account and free insertion ads all year (and the RCCard etc.) will inspire you to upgrade in the future. If you do ever wish to upgrade, simply click the "Upgrade" button in the top left corner of any screen.

If you have any questions, please use the "Contact" link on our site or refer to the terms and conditions of your Membership Agreement at http://www.rcuniverse.com/help/rcm.htm#

Michael Kranitz, CEO
Marc Vigod, President

RC Universe

I think they sold the company/site about 5 years ago, almost to the month, but their name is still going out. lol.

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Oh wait,, I see, if I shrink the screen I can make the issue look worse than it really is.

it does does that if you shrink the screen, which I do as well from time to time. Not an issue if other means are used to deal with that, but it also makes it more difficult to use on portable devices.

Glad to see though that they filtered some of the stuff that was coming in. It's a start, and at least confirmation that concerns are heard.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 PM
scale only 4 me

Nice to see they're on top of things alright,, LOL

this post #41 is laughable too
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...l#post12096554
Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 PM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Speaking of "back in the day"....I got this e-mail yesterday when I let my account transition back to Trading Member Plus from the next paid level up:

We are sorry you chose to downgrade your membership. Hopefully, the benefits of having bonus money in your account and free insertion ads all year (and the RCCard etc.) will inspire you to upgrade in the future. If you do ever wish to upgrade, simply click the "Upgrade" button in the top left corner of any screen.

If you have any questions, please use the "Contact" link on our site or refer to the terms and conditions of your Membership Agreement at http://www.rcuniverse.com/help/rcm.htm#

Michael Kranitz, CEO
Marc Vigod, President

RC Universe

Oopsie. I'll get on that
Old 09-17-2015, 05:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

ha!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:14 AM
scale only 4 me

the check is in the mail,, I won't,,,,,,, never mind
Old 09-24-2015, 08:49 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The ads are ridiculous,, ,

I would honestly pre-pay 12$ a year for my account to get rid of the ads,,
Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 AM
flyinwalenda

I just tried to respond to a new thread question that had pictures in the first post. The pics are compressed so small it's impossible to see any detail.
Come on RCU/IB, at least remove that ad spot from the lead post of each new page!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:11 AM
thepamster

Something has definitely changed here. They have opened up some kind of door or something to allow embedded ads.
I can deal with the ads, it is their placement that is an issue, a big one.
It embeds an ad within a post that can cause the post to display 3 words in width but 103 words in length. That is just silly.
I already have popups and ad blockers running and I refuse do add anything else just for this one forum.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 PM
IBobi

Originally Posted by thepamster
Something has definitely changed here. They have opened up some kind of door or something to allow embedded ads.
I can deal with the ads, it is their placement that is an issue, a big one.
It embeds an ad within a post that can cause the post to display 3 words in width but 103 words in length. That is just silly.
I already have popups and ad blockers running and I refuse do add anything else just for this one forum.
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I just tried to respond to a new thread question that had pictures in the first post. The pics are compressed so small it's impossible to see any detail.
Come on RCU/IB, at least remove that ad spot from the lead post of each new page!
I can talk to our tech and ads guys if there is a real issue. Those who have posted screen shots (other than the ads with objectionable content which we already fixed) do not, to me, show a big problem, or anything that other forums do not already do.

If you have a screen shot that shows that an ad is egregiously affecting content, please do us all a favor and post it so I can do something about it. Posting generalities with no particulars is not actionable.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

As suggested earlier, for those willing to pay a premium, could the ads and commercial content get suppressed? There are added benefits to the trading level memberships, perhaps something can be done for the ads? I've taken steps to make the site more enjoyable, and overall I like ads for hobby related goods, glad to see the other stuff done away with. It is a cluster on portable devices though. And I'm not savvy enough to take a screen shot of that before you ask...lol.

Just a thought, can that get bubbled up the chain?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:06 PM
IBobi

As suggested earlier, for those willing to pay a premium, could the ads and commercial content get suppressed? There are added benefits to the trading level memberships, perhaps something can be done for the ads? I've taken steps to make the site more enjoyable, and overall I like ads for hobby related goods, glad to see the other stuff done away with. It is a cluster on portable devices though. And I'm not savvy enough to take a screen shot of that before you ask...lol.

Just a thought, can that get bubbled up the chain?
Yep, we're discussing that possibility.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:15 PM
porcia83
Banned

Great, thanks. I would think it's a win win, actual payment from some rather than the chance that they hit on a site that's advertised, and the others are o/k with it.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I'm seeing

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	2122177  
Old 09-24-2015, 09:24 PM
thepamster

Originally Posted by ticketec
Here is what I'm seeing
+1. This is what I am seing a lot of the time. It is the ads that seem to appear within posts and disrupts text layout. This is not normal.
Ads belong on top, bottom, or borders and not inside posts.
I have no problem with ads on a free service as RCU.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:06 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by ticketec
Here is what I'm seeing
Same here. This issue appears on the first post of each page on every thread . How many screen shots of the same problem are required ? Why is this issue so difficult to see for some users ?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
rcu ad shot.bmp (2.25 MB, 24 views)

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 09-25-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:06 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is getting crazy !!!
This is the screen on my cell, I'm giving up using that

Name:	2015-09-17 06.30.12.png
Views:	38
Size:	692.8 KB
ID:	2122206  
Old 09-27-2015, 02:59 AM
scale only 4 me

Great, thanks. I would think it's a win win, actual payment from some rather than the chance that they hit on a site that's advertised, and the others are o/k with it.
haha,, what other screw up can they make that they then can charge a fee to keep us from experiencing,,,

Here's an idea,,, IB can build the site back to it's greatness by fixing all the glitches, slow load speeds etc etc.. and the revenue will come back.,, wait, that takes work,, nevermind
Old 09-27-2015, 03:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Given the totality of sites they own, this one seems like a weird piece in their puzzle. Wonder if it would do better being split off/sold and run by a group of folks just dedicated to this site. I'm not saying the mods and admin aren't doing that here, I think they do a great job considering what they have to deal with.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 AM
scale only 4 me

Yeap, RCU is IB's redheaded stepchild,, it gets no love from it's new parent
Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 AM
thepamster

If there is an ad within a post and you do not see it, is the ad not still there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.