Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.
View Poll Results: Do you like the changes made by this website Uploading Pictures?
Yes, I like the current website picture loading method
0%
No, they should change it with user input
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Uploading Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:17 AM
szempruw

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Uploading Pictures

On the "Uploading Pictures" thread, unfortunately I complained about the HUGE pictures that are now uploading.

I have a building blog on a P51 Pica Mustang. Some other members have enjoyed it because they have the old Pica kit and want to build one.

Previously, I added pictures that turned into "thumbnails." You could easily read the text and overview the smaller pictures as you read along. If you wanted to see more detail, and most people do, you could click on the picture and it enlarged. Same way Microsoft File Explorer works. You see the extra large Icons and click, you get the media viewer. That was great. The only issue I had was that you were allowed to browse and insert multiple pictures, but that didn't work. I would always get a "Missing Security Token" error. I learned that you could add one picture at a time, and that was ok.

Then, I started seeing in other threads, these HUGE loaded pictures. It took up the whole thread and you had to scroll down. You would lose the context of the message pertaining to the picture inserted. This didn't seem user friendly. The thumbnails were still present in addition. Check out the Mustang Brotherhood thread. Nice thread till the HUGE pictures rolled it. The ride on the full size mustang was a great post, but the HUGE pictures seemed awkward.

Saying all this, along came the Uploading Pictures style change. Again, it really kills a building blog. Why? You build a subject on the plane and make anywhere from 1-8 pictures detailing HOW YOU BUILT it and the issues if any. Usually you write the text and post the picture after so you can "picture visualize" what is wrote and the connection to the build story. It like writing a technical manual. When a manual is written and the 3D drawings are in line with the verbiage or near it, you can see the issue. If you have HUGE pictures at the end of a manual, you are flipping pages. Not very user friendly.

The new picture loader is like that. You can't easily follow along because the HUGE pictures are in the way. I inserted 8 pictures as a trial and I couldn't write a breakdown story against each picture. I could edit it I couldn't make the story of the build flow.

I'm going to enter "upload" 6 pictures now and see if you can follow them. They take up the whole thread and my 22 in LCD screen. Try to edit something between them. Not easy to do. Other guys have complained about this loader, and now I see the Marketplace / Classified has changed and it also has complaint. The administrators have been sold a bill of goods from a "New Developer" and I don't think he understands forum usage. If he is a professional developer, maybe he can share his URS, his SRS, architectural systems design document and if he is really good, some BPO test results with objective evidence and Trace Matrices so that he can prove that he has implemented the changes as expected as opposed to just throwing software against the wall to see what sticks.

Here's the pictures. The new picture uploader kills this forum. It's too bad, I used to enjoy it. Now let's see if the pictures insert before or after this write-up. And let's see what their size is.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM
szempruw

And by the way, here is a screenshot of what I saw after I loaded the pictures.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:41 AM
IBThomas
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll see if there's anything we can do about this. In the meantime, you may want to resize your photos and then upload them.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 PM
szempruw

Originally Posted by IBThomas
I'll see if there's anything we can do about this. In the meantime, you may want to resize your photos and then upload them.
Thanks if you can change back to thumbnails. FYI, I've emailed and received feedback that others are dropping from your site. Too bad. It was good for a long time. Others have tried resizing and no joy.

Besides, you'd want detailed images to zoom in on right?

Thanks again for looking.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM
szempruw

This is a test

Adding text

This is a new test

Last edited by szempruw; 05-18-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Try editing
Old 05-22-2018, 02:54 PM
IBThomas
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Was the test working out for you?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:08 PM
szempruw

My personal opinion is that thumbnails that you can pop open are more user friendly. I worked for 3 years doing user interface testing / GUI interfaces. Four years documentation control and 27 years medical device R&D. (at a Fortune 100 company) You've shifted the burden of picture sizing to the user. User (beta) testing would have uncovered this before implementing.

Objectively, the smaller pictures will work, but not well. Perhaps there is a "developer" reason for the change, some technical reason not explained. Nevertheless I've learned that you can't convince a programmer to change once he's made up his mind. He's invested too much time into the project to step back and look at the user's perspective. "Let them eat cake!" until the boss (in my case the program manager) gets some flack and steps in. At least that has been my experience.

Good luck with your website.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:34 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Agreed, no one is going to resize pics,, having a system that truncates to a maximum file size,, then inserts as thumbs is the way to go,, LIKE OTHER SITES DO!!!

These guys have made so many changes for the worse with this site, it boggles the mind, it's like they want the site to fail
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM
IBThomas
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Agreed, no one is going to resize pics,, having a system that truncates to a maximum file size,, then inserts as thumbs is the way to go,, LIKE OTHER SITES DO!!!

These guys have made so many changes for the worse with this site, it boggles the mind, it's like they want the site to fail
Vbulletin doesn't allow up much playing room for manipulating photos. Maybe this ability is in the cards for the future, but it really isn't up to us.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:05 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Not up to you?? you choose to use this crappy software,, too funny
Old 06-22-2018, 08:17 AM
IBThomas
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Not up to you?? you choose to use this crappy software,, too funny
I literally don't.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:23 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i think that, maybe, if you were to look at some of the other sites that use VB, you might get an idea of just what we are expecting here.
try:
www.helifreak.com
www.rcgroups.com
www.flyinggiants.com

all the above are on the VB platform. they all have a "test post" area. use it to upload a pic or 2. view a thread or two and try viewing the pix included in the posts. then try to explain to us why, IB can not make the same ease of use available to us, here, on it's own platform.

mongo

Last edited by mongo; 06-22-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:03 PM
IBThomas
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Originally Posted by mongo
i think that, maybe, if you were to look at some of the other sites that use VB, you might get an idea of just what we are expecting here.
try:
www.helifreak.com
www.rcgroups.com
www.flyinggiants.com

all the above are on the VB platform. they all have a "test post" area. use it to upload a pic or 2. view a thread or two and try viewing the pix included in the posts. then try to explain to us why, IB can not make the same ease of use available to us, here, on it's own platform.

mongo
We have a test forum: Test Posting Forum - RCU Forums
Old 06-22-2018, 04:23 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

you have COMPLETELY missed the point.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:08 AM
IBThomas
RETIRED; DO NOT PM

Originally Posted by mongo
you have COMPLETELY missed the point.
I can try and push it again, but I've spoken to tech and have been told that resizing photos in the photouploader is not something that can be done right now.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:40 PM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go advanced, preview post.