Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Time to address the two clicks for "My Forum" problem?

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Time to address the two clicks for "My Forum" problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Mike in DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to address the two clicks for "My Forum" problem?

I had great hopes that getting the read post data into the database would solve the two clicks to My Forum problem. However, it hasn't.

I use three different computers to access RCU, two XP, one Windows ME. All run Explorer 6.0 with all critical patches. On one of these machines, clicking "My Forum" works perfectly every time. On the other two, after starting Explorer it takes two clicks. The first click shows all the forums. The second shows just my forums. After that, as long as Explorer is running, one click works fine. Shut Explorer down, and the next time you go to RCU, same problem.

Marc, I get the impression that while many have this problem, you've never been able to duplicate it, thus making it difficult to solve.

Can you give us some hints as to what to look for? Obviously, the one PC I have that works is different from the other two, but I don't know how, or what to look for. Unfortunately, the one that works is at work, so it's hard to side-by-side compare them.

Any ideas? I'd be happy to test for you. The problem is solid (not intermittent), so it's easy to test.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Time to address the two clicks for "My Forum" problem?

It sounds like the setting isn't taking on 2 of your computers until after the 2nd click due to some session block. Can you try a test. Set all your security settings to low and then shut your browser and restart computer. Log on to RCU and try it and see what happens. When done reset your security back to normal.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Mike in DC

No improvement.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:55 AM
mvigod
Banned

Is anyone else experiencing this same problem? If so I need to know what computer OS you are using.

Mike in DC - of your 3 computers which one is the one that works? The windows ME one?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Is anyone else experiencing this same problem? If so I need to know what computer OS you are using.
There were a couple of other posts, but I'm not sure what to search for.

Mike in DC - of your 3 computers which one is the one that works? The windows ME one?
Unfortunately not. The one that works is XP.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Mike in DC

Could it possibly have to do with my home router or NAT? The two machines at home that take two clicks (one XP, one ME) are both on a router with NAT. I tried another machine at work, so now I have two machines at work that require one click, neither use NAT.

Other than NAT, I don't have any firewall at home.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:44 PM
mvigod
Banned

It could be the NAT if that is the only thing different. It might be trying to establish a session through the NAT in some way and only with the 2nd click does it establish and take the setting. try a bookmark of that page and then see if you have to hit it twice. There is a separate login on the forum so it might need to set the session on the forum first and then it can allow you to do the myforum. Again could be nat related since that is the varying factor here
Old 11-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Mike in DC

Another difference is that the link to "My forums" on the home page has "MyForums" in all caps, whereas the others have mixed case.

However, I tried setting a bookmark, and it works fine (either way on the case of the characters) so that doesn't seem like it's relevant.

When it doesn't work (which is all the time from the home page), when I hover over the My Forum icon, at the bottom it shows the correct URL (/forum/default.asp?fh=1&forum=MyForum), but when I click, I go to the URL /forum/.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Mike in DC

I've PMed nchrome and fubar-one, both of whom previously reported the problem to see if they've seen any difference, or can contribute any clues.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Mike in DC

Default Got it!

It just came to me...

At home, I type in "rcuniverse.com". Two clicks.

At work, I use a favorite that is "www.rcuniverse.com". One click.

Very odd, but I'm assuming a cookie is not matching the site name, or something like that.

Anyway, weird, but I think end of story. I'll just use the name with the www's.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, whenever I log onto RCU from the main page, I need to click on My forums twice to get to my forums.
Using Windows ME with IE6 and all the latest critical updates.
On a side note, thank you VERY much for fixing the javascript error problems! It is so nice to be able to reply with a post without getting booted out of RCU.
I still get the occasional java script error message along with my popup stopper sound effect but that is not an issue that needs addressing since I dont get booted out anymore.
Thanks!
ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Old 11-09-2003, 11:13 PM
mvigod
Banned

To ease issues ALWAYS use the "www.rcuniverse.com" rather than the "rcuniverse.com" address. that could cause a double click because the cookie setting has to be set twice