Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Mis-Directed PM

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 04:48 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis-Directed PM

I just got a PM from a guy who was trying to send it to somebody other than me. I could tell from the nature of the message it was not just a mistake made by clicking on the wrong poster in the thread..it was about a subject I have no intrest in and would have never been involved in a thread concerning it. It wasn't anything of a sensitive nature, but it isn't "private" anymore.

As I said, I don't think this guy clicked on my PM button by mistake. Given the topic and the intended recipient, I can't imagine my profile or posts were anywhere near where this originated from. Also, I have, to my knowledge, never had any PM's with the guy who sent the PM.

Something very, very strange and wrong here.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:47 PM
maverick

Default RE: Mis-Directed PM

Was it maybe meant to be sent to another person with a similar username? I think when you go direct to the Inbox and initiate a PM from there you have to actually type in the username, you can't get the name just like clicking on the PM button from as post.

Edit - I just checked my Inbox and to send a new PM I have to type in the username without having any reference to look it up, unless the username is in my address book which is only my buddy list.

I looked at the userlist and there are lots of Chucks.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:52 PM
ChuckAuger

The user names are not even close to being similar. Neither are my name and the intended recipients name. Not even close.

This wasn't a "Oops, I clicked the wrong button" or "Ooops, auto fill got me close and I hit the wrong person". I have no contact AFAIK with the sender, ever. I can't imagine i"m in his buddy list.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:34 PM
maverick

Sounds like some sort of a screw up then!
Old 11-21-2003, 09:43 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am checking with the programmers to see why the PM could have been redirected to your userid.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:55 PM
ChuckAuger

I just had another PM..to me...and I noticed the "to" line had my username in it. The errant one had the other guys username in the "to" box, but when I clicked on his name, it said, "sent to ChuckAuger" or something like that. If I knew how to do a screenshot or whatever, I'd show you.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:00 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Chuck,

Are you on a Mac? If so, I can tell you how to take a snapshot of your screen or any portion of it.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Strykaas

Maybe this post was aimed at ChuckYeager, I think I've see him here.. How can u check for all subscribers ?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:37 AM
ChuckAuger

ORIGINAL: MHawker

Chuck,

Are you on a Mac? If so, I can tell you how to take a snapshot of your screen or any portion of it.
No, PC...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:40 AM
ChuckAuger

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

Maybe this post was aimed at ChuckYeager, I think I've see him here.. How can u check for all subscribers ?
If you would go back and read the thread, you would no doubt see that I said the intended recipient had a user name completely different than mine. Also if you would go back and read the thread, you would no doubt see that I said that his user name was in the "to" box on the PM. The PM was intended for him, was addressed to him, but was sent to me.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Strykaas

Oooopps

I think i've read this one faaaaaaar too quickly [sm=stupid.gif] ....
Old 11-23-2003, 04:23 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

ChuckAuger

Just a suggestion, I use irfanview dot com to do all my image maniptulations.

It allows screenshots (Capture) quickly, but just be sure to assign a folder (to the 'save to' function) if you try it out.

Also, thank's for the reply to the PM, I was'nt sure'