Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Posts since last visit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:12 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posts since last visit.

Since the early days of RCU, I've used this feature exclusively, to keep up with active
topics in all forums. It is the page I link directly to, when visiting RCU. In the past,
I've simply left this up, and where there may be only a page or two of posts at first,
the list grows as the day (or night) wears on. This should be the normal behaviour,
if it's supposed to work as it has in the past. Whenever the list gets too long, I simply
leave RCU and visit again in a few minutes, giving me only the new posts again.

What's happening lately (past couple weeks at least) is that this seems to be getting
reset somehow, whether I stay logged in or not. I can have a list of 5 pages showing,
then move from say, page 5 back to the first page (which should be the absolute latest posts),
and all the posts will be gone completely. (As if I had left the site then returned in a couple minutes)

Is there any reason this should be happening? Is my cookie being reset, or what?
Just curious. I've had it happen sporadically all along, maybe once a week. Recently, it seems like
it happens at least once or twice a day. I know it's not a serious issue... but it's quite annoying.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Posts since last visit.

If I continually access the site, this doesn't happen.
If I go through the site, stop for a little and continue, it seems like my session has been reset.

What I do to get around this is go through all of my new posts and right click to bring up each thread in a new instance of explorer. Once I have up the 20-30 or so I then take the original back to the beginning and then review and/or respond to each thread. If I walk away and come back. I can see that my search pointer for new posts has been reset, but I have the other messages up so I can continue without a problem.

Just make sure your PC has enough memory to do this.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:37 AM
C_Watkins

Yeah... I could do that. I do have plenty of memory. Thanks for the tip.
I'd rather things reverted to their previous behaviour, however
Old 04-11-2004, 11:10 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every time you page from one to the next page new posts are actually added in realtime. if you are on page 1 and spend some time there and then go to page 2 you will see some posts on page 2 that were just on page 1 a few moments ago. we get up to 5 posts per minute at peak times so they move rapidly.

timeouts where the new posts are reset and go away from the last session occur at 30 minutes of inactivity. If you open a new browser it is considered to be a new session and all the posts will be gone. Only the original browser opened for a new session (meaning a new visit since more than 30 minutes since your last) will always show the new posts properly. Other windows or new popped windows will always be off due to the fact they are based on their own session.

some of this will be tweaked in the future hopefully so subsequent browser loads will preserve their state regarding new posts.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:37 PM
C_Watkins

Your first paragraph is what I expect, and has remained fairly constant, since the early days.
It is the way I have browsed RCU since the day I discovered it I never see the front page, unless forced.

The 30 minute inactivity timeout may be what's getting me. I wish this were user-defined,
as I would set it to "session indefinite". As long as I have that session open, I want to be able to
go back to the first page, even if it's three hours later. Even though all the posts on page one would be
new by then, and the old posts aged to later pages. That's the desired effect of the way I browse RCU

I can understand opening a new browser counting as a "new visit" since "last visit", and only
new posts (or no posts, as the case may be) being displayed. This is a useful function also,
and one I use at least once or twice a day, when the pages become too numerous, and I've
browsed all I want to through the older topics. I open a new session, to have a clean slate.

But... it's quite often that I'll get linked offsite, spend 20 minutes to an hour elsewhere, outside
smoking, on the telephone, or (gasp) actually working, sometimes. I liked the fact that I
could keep the browser open, come back to page one later... and see new posts, while
the old ones are still there, maybe just a few pages down the order by then.
It drives me nuts when I get back to page one and get the "no new posts" thing.
(Though sometimes I don't get that... I get script errors, and upon refreshing the page, all is well.)

At any rate, thanks for listening. .. and thanks for always looking for new tweaks.

--
Chris
Old 04-12-2004, 05:28 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I agree that if you open a new browser that it will reset your session. If you open a new INSTANCE of the original browser, it will maintain the same session. this is what I do and can go for two hours reading messages with no problems. If I do walk away and come back later, I still have the messages I want to respond to and my original instance is there to track my progress through the new timed out session.

ORIGINAL: RCadmin
If you open a new browser it is considered to be a new session and all the posts will be gone. Only the original browser opened for a new session (meaning a new visit since more than 30 minutes since your last) will always show the new posts properly. Other windows or new popped windows will always be off due to the fact they are based on their own session.