Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Noise is getting annoying

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Noise is getting annoying

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Mike in DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise is getting annoying

First you put something about the stupid poker game in EVERY post. Now you've put some toolbar ad on EVERY post (I have avatar display turned off). Yes, it's your site, and you can do what you want, but I have contributed money, so I guess at least I have the right to a little whine.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:15 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noise is getting annoying

It's a placeholder and a reminder to let members know about:

A) Toolbar
B) That they can upload a custom avatar.

Like any change I expect some amount of complaints. Any change I've made since day one has been met with some level of dissatisfaction.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:51 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is rather blatant.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blatant, yes. Tantamount to a Popup, on each and every post. Make that two popups.

Ah, well. At least I'm not paying for it.

Dave Olson
Old 12-29-2004, 09:08 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Scar

Blatant, yes. Tantamount to a Popup, on each and every post. Make that two popups.

Ah, well. At least I'm not paying for it.

Dave Olson
Popup? Blatant of what? I am simply letting members/guests know about the free rcu toolbar we developed to enhance members experience and usage of RCU. There are no paid vendor ads in that spot whatsoever and it does not popup nor does it use any bandwidth for each appearance (the 3k file is cached).

If enough people don't like it we'll pull it but so far the blowback is minimal in these first few hours. Just trying to increase awareness without increasing scrolling or popping ads. Also it is designed with the mouseover to let users know they can upload a custom avatar anytime to replace it and hopefully encourages users who want to take advantage of that.

The good part so far is that you guys noticed it. That means it at least was effective in getting attention you have to admit

Can you imagine if we ran little avatar sized ads for all our advertisers instead of user avatars in that spot? I could only guess you fellas would be displeased with that. I'll have to scratch that brainstorm off my list [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 12-29-2004, 11:11 PM
RKYMNTNHI

re; Mike in DC. Amen & right on. I complained about the (pop-ups), and the reply was "it ain't us"--BS...
Old 12-29-2004, 11:16 PM
mvigod
Banned

Pop ups? It ain't us.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:01 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

It's a placeholder and a reminder to let members know about:

B) That they can upload a custom avatar.
Well I had uploaded a custom avatar but even though it was not commercial and was not offensive in any way, it was removed by RCU after a spat with The ProBros. I gave up after that.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

I guess those of us that have websites and forums understand how hard it is to please people.
It would be real boring if everyone agreed all the time and nothing changed.
RCU is the best information board i have found...

Thanks to all the mods, keep up the good work.

Mark
Old 12-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Mike in DC

Actually, I was thinking maybe you didn't think about people who don't load avatars. In other words, I see the stupid thing on every fricking post, not just the ones for people who don't have avatars. Sort of like if I select, "No avatars, please", that ought to mean, "No avatars, and no ads promoting avatars where the avatars would be."

I know about avatars. I think they are distracting. But now I may have to turn them on just to get away from the "No Avatar" Avatar!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:42 PM
mvigod
Banned

Mike,

yes. you are right. that was a coding oversight of mine. I think I am going to pull the code anyway in a few days. While it is effective I just don't think it works well right now plus I wonder if it bugs more people then those who posted here alone. For me it doesn't bug me as much as it seems "weird". I'll yank it in a couple days for good.