Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

"My Models" section

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "My Models" section

I got the newsletter saying this feature is new and available.

Well, where does one start? It is not ready, as far as I am concerned, and should not have been released to the membership. Annoying bugs make it difficult to create a new model in the hangar.
1) Try to add a model that is not in the list. "If you don't see your model or accessory, just choose the "I don't see it here" item from the list and you will be given an opportunity to complete it later." This option is not available on the Airplane tab.
2) If you add a new model, there is no way to distinguish between an electric or fuel plane. So for electric conversions, you don't get the "Battery" and ESC options.
3) Not all motors are fully named. Example: a Mega motor lineup shows just two entries. Where are the rest?
4) For propellors, if this is an Electric Ducted Fan, why are those options not available?
5) Why are the servos ganged the way they are? Ailerons/Flaps? Elev/Rudder option?? Why are they not separate?

I realize it is a work in progress, but it was debuted before it was ready.

Spar
Old 07-14-2005, 09:08 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: "My Models" section

Sparhawk,
Yes, it is a work in progress, but it is progressing quickly. There have been quite a few moderators (including myself) that have been helping develop this area of RCU, but it is realized that there are probably going to be other things that change. If you have comments on how it is working or for additional features I recommend that you send a PM to mkranitz as he is the one that is doing the work on this section. I know that he will welcome your comments on this area. I too had some problems with it when it was first released, but mkranitz has worked very hard to take care of every problem/suggestion that was given to him. I recommend that you address your concerns to him.

FYI, I have my section setup now, [link=http://rcken.rcuniverse.com]rcken.rcuniverse.com[/link] , and I will probably spend some time uploading some of my pictures into the photo gallery when I have a little bit more free time.

Ken
Old 07-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Sparhawk

Thanks for the reply Ken.

I will foward my observations and suggestions to him as you suggested. Once the bugs are ironed out, I think it will be a nice addition to a members profile. It's not all bad, just needs refining.

Dan
Old 07-16-2005, 10:18 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,

we develop super fast so once we launch something if it need add'l features/functionality we get it in there sometimes in a matter of minutes to hours. I have forwarded your suggestions of to michael who will likely address them. The suggestion to differentiate on the electric in MyModels is a great one.

also if there are motors/esc's missing you should be able to suggest them there so we can enter them into our product guide or write them in manually. I think that functionality was added after your original post.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:03 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sparhawk

I got the newsletter saying this feature is new and available.

Well, where does one start? It is not ready, as far as I am concerned, and should not have been released to the membership. Annoying bugs make it difficult to create a new model in the hangar.
1) Try to add a model that is not in the list. "If you don't see your model or accessory, just choose the "I don't see it here" item from the list and you will be given an opportunity to complete it later." This option is not available on the Airplane tab.
2) If you add a new model, there is no way to distinguish between an electric or fuel plane. So for electric conversions, you don't get the "Battery" and ESC options.
3) Not all motors are fully named. Example: a Mega motor lineup shows just two entries. Where are the rest?
4) For propellors, if this is an Electric Ducted Fan, why are those options not available?
5) Why are the servos ganged the way they are? Ailerons/Flaps? Elev/Rudder option?? Why are they not separate?

I realize it is a work in progress, but it was debuted before it was ready.

Spar
Spar,

1. When I added the multiple servo functionality, I accidentally blew out the "It's not listed" button! Yikes. Fixed now.

2. I added an "electric/non-electric" toggle for all models. If the system knows, it will default to the correct one, although you can change it any time (e.g. for conversion models).

3. If there is equipment missing from our product guide, we need to add it. We have a product marshal that keeps up with that, but there are tons of new products created all the time. I'll tell him about Mega.

4. You could have just entered a ducted fan description in the prop area. But, I added a "ducted fan" entry box (even though the usage on that won't be that high)

5. We ganged the servo selection options because there are only 3 servo slots and for the vast majority of people the elevator and rudder are run on the same type of servo. What I did was simply add individual options for elevator, aileron, rudder and flap IN ADDITION TO the gang selections.

Hope this answers your questions. The service was, in our view, ready for release. You have some edge case issues (which we are obviously happy to receive and act on). Please have patience with us.

Michael
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Sparhawk

You guys have done an awesome job in expanding the option layouts to basically fit pretty near every case as I can see!!

The "electric/non-electric" toggle is a nice addition to show new models that are electric AND to show glow planes that have been converted to electric as well. This is happening more and more these days.

As for the ducted fan entry, it may not be as popular as the other entries, but does give the EDF and glow DF guys a chance to indicate their setups, ie: BVM or Byron fan, etc.

Keep up the great work guys!!!

Spar
Old 07-19-2005, 09:18 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. It keeps us crankin'!!