Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Over zealous moderators?

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Over zealous moderators?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 AM
[]TEX[]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over zealous moderators?

Just wondering why some moderators feel it's necessary to delete almost an entire page of discussion?

If it's to save space, just send an email that says, "We've deleted everyones posts to save space", not "Reason:Not related to R/C or original topic." Especially in a general discussion thread.

I guess I am speaking for a few of us at once, although I know I have had some posts deleted for what seems to me to be silly reasons.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 AM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Over zealous moderators?

I've certainly had more than a handful of post's removed from our General Discussion as well.

More than a few of these had RC related content... not just "COOL" or "SWEET" like I would expect to get removed.

It'd be interesting to know what is going on, the thread has been going for almost 8 months without any problems... Now, we're losing all kinds of content with little or no reasoning or explanation. I realize this is a free service, and I respect that, but maintaining the community is a big part of what keeps this site up and running.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

Just wondering why some moderators feel it's necessary to delete almost an entire page of discussion?

If it's to save space, just send an email that says, "We've deleted everyones posts to save space", not "Reason:Not related to R/C or original topic." Especially in a general discussion thread.
RCU Moderators do not delete posts "to save space". RCU is proud of the fact that every posts that was posted within the rules is still available online, all the back to the very first post on RCU. Storage space simply isn't a factor here on RCU. But posts that are removed because they are not RC related, or not on topic of the the discussion, are removed for exactly those reasons. The RCU Community Rules are very clear in this matter.
TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
Although discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message.
[ul][*]Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another. [*]RCUniverse.com is focused on R/C. Accordingly, topics must remain R/C related. [*]We do not permit political, social, religious, or other off-topic discussions. There are many places online to express your opinions on issues outside of RC so "RC" Universe is designed to be a place to talk just about RC.
[/ul]
It's really simple, RCU was created to discuss matters concerned with the hobbies of Radio Control. That's what these rules are for. All members agree to abide by these rules when they join RCU. If a moderator removed a thread because it wasn't RC related then he was doing his job.

Although the rules do state that topics need to be RC related RCU did make a concession to accommodate it's members by creating Off-topic forums for members to discuss things not RC related. If your post was not RC related it should have been posted in the Off-topic forums.

With all of this in mind I will say that the moderators of RCU are humans too and can make mistakes. If you feel that a moderator acted improperly you are always welcome to address your concerns to the senior administration of RCU. You can send a PM to Marc - owner (username RCAdmin) or Nathan - site administrator (username Plane Insane). They will be more than happy to look into the matter.

Ken
Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's just my take on the situation:

I agree that a mod is necessary in a discussion forum.. I see lots of silliness by some of the young (probably) posters.. for example, use curse words, inappropriate content, post stuff that were deleted time and time again, etc.

Most of the posters at the LB Lounge are pretty mature, though, I have to say. It started out as a "general" discussion thread as some people don't feel comfortable posting new threads.. and it has grew and grew. It has became a nice little community. It is not unusual to see 10+ people reading the thread during high traffic hours. We posts stuff like what's a good deal, offer opinion on which RC is better, based on our experience, etc. And of course, we go off-topics pretty often too. But that's the charm of the LB Lounge. I know there's people who regularly visit the LB Lounge (and actually corresponding e-mail w/ me offline) but rarely post in there.. just simply because they are the complete opposite of me. (where I post respond to almost every post, ha! And often not adding much value, but rather, I was acknowledging that I read their post and give them my feedback!) I'd have to say that it is a fun place to visit.. very friendly.. we goof around there, maybe not following the RCU rules 100% (talk about non-RC related stuff, Tim's 700+ hps Camro, my GSX-R, TEX's new laptop, etc.) But I guess that's why it is fun..

Anyway, once again, my post is not adding much value, just random thinking-out-loud post (as usual).. I think we are doing a decent job not go crazy overboard in the LB Lounge.. people are pretty respectful to each other.. people are helping each others.. (if someone needs a part, needs an opinion, need to know how to do something, or even scientific explanation of soemthing, etc.) You'd be surprised how much helping's going on there..

Understand that there's rules to follow, so I am sure we will try to make a mental notes ourselves in the future, but also please see the Lounge for what it is as well.. a place where there's no fixed topics.. a place where people can pop in and out just to ask a quesitons that might not fit other thread, a place where some people just read for fun but would otherwise not participate, a place where a lot of helping each other is going on, a place that people look forward to visit everyday.. a place that has 500 pages of participation and going strong.. and finally a place where sometimes we have too much fun and posted some off-topics stuff..
Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Ken says if something seems like it should have been left please PM "Plane Insane" our community director and he can review the posts and make sure a good call was made. If it is borderline or grey area we like to give benefit of doubt and let things stand. Better to error on the side of a little less moderation than too much.

Marc