RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Forum questions or problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forum-questions-problems-239/)
-   -   Getting redirected off of RCU by ad(s) -- app store/play store (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forum-questions-problems-239/11623938-getting-redirected-off-rcu-ad-s-app-store-play-store.html)

1QwkSport2.5r 11-21-2015 08:23 AM

Getting redirected off of RCU by unknown entity - on mobile device

I didn't bother with reading this whole thread, so my comment may have been mentioned. Like I'm sure many other members, I use a mobile device to post on the forum most of the time. I'm getting frustrated by the load time of the forum ads - sometimes the site won't load at all because all the third party content won't load. What infuriates me is the pop-up redirecting to other advertising websites. I can ignore the ads on this site - annoying but it has to pay the bills. The redirecting to off-site advertising crap is not cool. What's up with that? This is the only Web forum site that this happens to me on.

edit: this post was moved/created by a moderator, not by me.

kmeyers 11-21-2015 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12130364)
I didn't bother with reading this whole thread, so my comment may have been mentioned. Like I'm sure many other members, I use a mobile device to post on the forum most of the time. I'm getting frustrated by the load time of the forum ads - sometimes the site won't load at all because all the third party content won't load. What infuriates me is the pop-up redirecting to other advertising websites. I can ignore the ads on this site - annoying but it has to pay the bills. The redirecting to off-site advertising crap is not cool. What's up with that? This is the only Web forum site that this happens to me on.

I think you may need to start a new thread to address this concern. The problem addressed here in this thread is fixed.

porcia83 11-21-2015 06:55 PM

Also that sounds like malware, not something the site is doing via their ad placement.

1QwkSport2.5r 11-21-2015 10:23 PM

The only time I have this happen is on this forum and only when I use my smartphone. Haven't heard of Malware infecting an iPhone yet... It happens with two different iPhones with one having been completely wiped clean. I don't think it's device related.

Ron Olson 11-22-2015 05:27 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of doubting that as Internet Brands who owns this site also owns a big anti-virus company also.

porcia83 11-22-2015 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12130618)
The only time I have this happen is on this forum and only when I use my smartphone. Haven't heard of Malware infecting an iPhone yet... It happens with two different iPhones with one having been completely wiped clean. I don't think it's device related.

Dunno..over my head. Perhaps support will help here. Site is 99% better on a phone (Chrome) and tablet now, the same on my tower though.

scale only 4 me 11-22-2015 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12130618)

I've browsed the site on my iphone often, using the safari browser, never had any issues like you mention

1QwkSport2.5r 11-23-2015 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 12131034)
I've browsed the site on my iphone often, using the safari browser, never had any issues like you mention

I've found it odd myself because this is the only site it happens on. Never have problems with any other website I visit - forum or otherwise. To add - it's happened using Safari AND Mercury browsers.

scale only 4 me 11-25-2015 01:53 PM

So I'm over visiting my sister's and look up the site on her Ipad,, and yes I did see the redirect links,, funny how I never saw them on my phone,, I wonder if it's a phone setting??

1QwkSport2.5r 11-27-2015 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 12132483)
So I'm over visiting my sister's and look up the site on her Ipad,, and yes I did see the redirect links,, funny how I never saw them on my phone,, I wonder if it's a phone setting??

I have pop-ups turned off, and I have seen no other settings in either browser to further adjust the pop-up settings.

Note: it seems someone made this thread for me. A PM from whichever moderator performed this action would have been nice.

1QwkSport2.5r 12-02-2015 06:12 AM

Best I have found - malware is almost impossible to get on an Apple device because of Allle's strict control over what apps they allow in the App Store. It seems based on what I've read, there are about 6 known malware apps floating around, but have either been dealt with through software updates, or are benign threats. So... Having used two different devices and 3 different iOS versions including the latest (9.1) it still happens about every other day.. Sometimes every third day. Any idea why this happens? I'm not the only member it's happened to, either.

1QwkSport2.5r 02-09-2016 08:01 AM

This issue is still a problem, and probably worse than it's ever been. Every day I get pummeled with redirects off RCU to various sweepstakes sites and ads. It happens on 2 different mobile devices and also my laptop. Cookies and web history has been wiped out multiple times, cache reset, even operating system updates. What gives?

IBobi 02-09-2016 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12174672)
This issue is still a problem, and probably worse than it's ever been. Every day I get pummeled with redirects off RCU to various sweepstakes sites and ads. It happens on 2 different mobile devices and also my laptop. Cookies and web history has been wiped out multiple times, cache reset, even operating system updates. What gives?

Let me see what is up!

1QwkSport2.5r 02-10-2016 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 12174941)
Let me see what is up!

Sweet! Some attention to the matter. Thank you.

1QwkSport2.5r 02-19-2016 06:33 PM

Any developments in the matter?

scale only 4 me 02-20-2016 10:28 AM

or this one?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...ing-speed.html

IBobi 02-22-2016 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12179333)
Any developments in the matter?

Can you post a screen shot of one of the ads that is redirecting you?

1QwkSport2.5r 02-23-2016 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 12180694)
Can you post a screen shot of one of the ads that is redirecting you?

The next time it happens, I will post a screenshot of the site. It hasn't been happening as much lately, but does still happen.

1QwkSport2.5r 02-24-2016 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Most often I surf the forum from my iPhone. This is where most of the redirects happen. I use two different model iPhones on two different iOS versions and also an iPad mini sometimes. The included photo is from today. It tried opening the App Store app also. Most of the time the redirects are for phony sweepstakes.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-02-2016 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another one from today.

IBobi 03-02-2016 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12184535)
Here's another one from today.

If there's any way to capture the RCU screen that sent you to that scrfeen, that would help a lot; the bad ad would be from there.

scale only 4 me 03-03-2016 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12181377)
Most often I surf the forum from my iPhone. This is where most of the redirects happen. I use two different model iPhones on two different iOS versions and also an iPad mini sometimes. The included photo is from today. It tried opening the App Store app also. Most of the time the redirects are for phony sweepstakes.

So explain how the redirect happens,,, is it highlight text that if you tap it it opens,,,, or it just opens those apps automatically? All I ever saw was highlighted key words, I never tapped them to see what would open.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-03-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 12184541)
If there's any way to capture the RCU screen that sent you to that scrfeen, that would help a lot; the bad ad would be from there.

That isn't possible because all I'm doing is tapping a thread, the post opens and before I can do anything else the redirect happens. I'm not tapping any on-screen ads or anything. Sometimes the redirect happens while scrolling down the page.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-03-2016 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This happened about a half hour ago after tapping a thread from the main forum page that would automatically take me to the most recent post since the last visit. The thread loaded and immediately opened to this screen. Nothing came up on the page that loaded from the redirect.