FPV Beginners If you are getting started in FPV this is the place to go for help. Experienced members will help the beginners getting started in FPV, so post your questions you have.

FPV setup - what to buy?

Old 01-27-2018, 12:32 PM
gosk8ing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FPV setup - what to buy?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting into FPV but am having trouble selecting what to buy as there's so many options.
Hobbyking has so much variety.
This is what I'm wanting and what I'll be using it for.

- To be used on RC plane park fliers 500g-1000g.
- Used for possible combat/close proximity to trees etc (just a few isolated trees, not flying through a forest!) and for gliding up with up to 2km range.
- Would love OSD with horizon, altitude and audio vario for gliding.
- High resolution/image quality but frame rate high enough for combat/close proximity.
- Most of flying done with just one or two others in the air.
- I don't wear glasses.
- Want goggles over screen.
- Not really interested in filming.
- Complete setup for up to $600AUD.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2018, 02:46 PM
ican3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosk8ing View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting into FPV but am having trouble selecting what to buy as there's so many options.
Hobbyking has so much variety.
This is what I'm wanting and what I'll be using it for.

- To be used on RC plane park fliers 500g-1000g.
- Used for possible combat/close proximity to trees etc (just a few isolated trees, not flying through a forest!) and for gliding up with up to 2km range.
- Would love OSD with horizon, altitude and audio vario for gliding.
- High resolution/image quality but frame rate high enough for combat/close proximity.
- Most of flying done with just one or two others in the air.
- I don't wear glasses.
- Want goggles over screen.
- Not really interested in filming.
- Complete setup for up to $600AUD.

Thanks!

For $600AUD its more than enough to setup an FPV plane and with basic hardware you can easily fly up 2km and 5km. First you need to survey which brand fits best for your setup but the tips i can give you is for FPV planes you'll need to find video goggles with headtracking gyro so you can move the camera left and right up and down which is missing even on advance FPV goggle because most people don't needed it on popular drone racing so be aware on this missing feature.
Here are the list of stuff needed for first FPV setup.
+ Autopilot: ARKBIRD autopilot system (for Home RTH and cruise assisted flight).
+ FPV goggle: SKYZONE ( FATSHARK also cool but have to pay premium for gyro add-ons)
+ FPV video transmitter: Anything 5.8GHz 200mw ~600mw power should give you range between 2~8km easily with patch and clover leaf antenna.
+ Camera: Anything from RUNCAM brand will do with higher TVL value.
For the rest like servo, battery, esc, motors and etc i think thats common sense choice if you're already long into flight hobby.

If you're still confuse you can check sample of reference how i setup FPV for various type of my flight models at this page section here: https://www.supermotoxl.com/designs-...flight-reviews My plane setup for FPV is a small parkflier weight between 600~800gram only with range between 3~8km.
Hope this tips helps.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:32 AM
formontoya

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And I would say that if you're not already doing FPV, then starting out trying to go 2km will give you nothing but heartache and a lighter wallet when you loose your equipment. As with most things in life you should start easy and work your way up to hard. I know all this seems easy when you're watching someone go 2km+ away, but there IS a bit going on other than just throw a plane in the air with a camera feeding a set of goggles and you're off.

I personally would recommend a 200mw VTx with a Foxeer 1177 and a decent circular antenna mounted to a small profile plane. Throw in a decent set of diversity box goggles and you can start FPV for less than $150-$200US. Have a buddy to spot for you when you fly or you will probably loose it. The EPP profile is very crash resistant and you will gain knowledge. Progress from there...

But in the end, it's your money, sweat and eventually tears...

Search this Thread